Printing Partials?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I can't see frames being made out of chrome( cast or milled) in the near future.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
***, thanks for your reply,but profit aside. I was interested on how buried1999 was able to mill one in under 30 min. if you or anyone else here has input on that I'm all ears.

Fine...send me a partial file...:rolleyes:

I have a German in my lab next week playing with 5-axis mill, then in Three weeks I have a CAM software OWNER coming to my lab for the 3rd time, also to play with 5-axis milling. Luigi from CIMSystem, and Klaus from KaVo. I can tell you, it is a complete fokking waste of time!!@#$5

Thinking about going pallatial on a maxillary frame.....you are talking about a 40mm thick piece of ?? and a handfull of chips (scrap metal). Rediculous amount of metal will need to be removed.

Hours and hours and hours......time, $$, burs, $$....

I will waste $100 of burs just for you to prove a point. Probably 5-12hrs of machine time. LOL Total cost.....$500. Is this what you want to hear?

Scott

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Let's not forget about the cost of the actual 98mm or 100mm disk.

I forgot about that. Please add in another $100.

Thank You.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Labor in setting up the CAM? Who knows? There is no software designed for 5-axis partial dentures. It would be the Ultimate Challenge to the Germans/Italians.

You would have to have $25k DelCam or CIMSystem Industrial CAM, and make the milling strategy yourself. You would have to spend copious amounts of time defining plenty of areas (Raw Curves) to do Fine finishing on to avoid wasting time on other areas of the frame that could have a lesser tolerance finish. That labor would greatly reduce milling time, and would require a CAM expert. I doubt you know such a person, or you would have not asked this question to begin with.

Scott

T

TECHARTISAN

Reaction score
I can't see frames being made out of chrome( cast or milled) in the near future.

Im curious..while I agree milling isnt sensible....is your statement due to...
1. An opposition to the term Chrome as shorthand for F75 Cobalt-Chromium-Molybdenum
2. macular degeneration
3. some other sensible reason that I cannot grasp at the moment?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Tooth colored.

White-Steel.

Why not?

Maybe injection in 26% larger mold, then sintering?

Print partial frame whatever your shrinkage ratio is for ceramic slurry....invest, burn-out....inject with ceramic slurry.....sinter.

Tooth colored frame!Q (No milling involved. No harm to any animals.)

Sounds easy enough, eh? It took me Two New Castles and a sip of wine to think of this.

Quick, someone send me some AlZr slurry before I get sober and forget this thought!

Scott

Last edited:
U

Un-CDT

Reaction score
Sorry dude no disrespect , but get off your high horse. Don't you think your being presumptuous. " I don't know anyone that is why I ask" I can ask whatever I want for what ever reason, all a reader has to do is answer it or don't. Don't give me a lecture of the cost affectiveness of it. You have no clue what I have planned or have done. All you know is what I posted, done. Obviously your not the right person because your falling back on Germans, Italians, Chinese, mexicans,Martians...did I miss anyone? So I guess after all your ranting your answer is...no. Cool thanks have a nice day. And for anyone else just answer the question...

U

Un-CDT

Reaction score
And who ever said to mill in metal? I guess that's what happens when you assume.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Im curious..while I agree milling isnt sensible....is your statement due to...
1. An opposition to the term Chrome as shorthand for F75 Cobalt-Chromium-Molybdenum
2. macular degeneration
3. some other sensible reason that I cannot grasp at the moment?

1.Actually it's almost every patient on the planet that would prefer not to wear a metal partial.

2.PEEK

3. Material companies are aware of point # 1 and are developing point# 2.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Tooth colored.

White-Steel.

Why not?

Maybe injection in 26% larger mold, then sintering?

Print partial frame whatever your shrinkage ratio is for ceramic slurry....invest, burn-out....inject with ceramic slurry.....sinter.

Tooth colored frame!Q (No milling involved. No harm to any animals.)

Sounds easy enough, eh? It took me Two New Castles and a sip of wine to think of this.

Quick, someone send me some AlZr slurry before I get sober and forget this thought!

Scott

Tooth colored yes,but why not mill a material with the teeth included as well?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry to mention other countrys, but it's the truth. Most all of our stuff originated in Germany. Like it or not, it's true.

As far as CAM....the Euros have been kicking our butts for quite a while now.

If a partial could be milled in a reasonable time, we'd be doing already. No?
But, as it is....no company on earth is attempting that. It's not going to happen.

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
Aww gawd, I'll be agreeing with disturbed next, but Scott is bang on the money - yes you can mill or laser sinter, but 1 is too slow and wastes materials and the other does not get the fit and finish required.

I guess with a monster bar fed mill and roughing out at real speed it could be possible to cut a partial quickly, but your looking at serious money for 5+ axis and tool turrets, anyone want to invest $5M to make goods which sell at $50-$70 ish?

Print 2 duplicate partials - try one in and if it's OK - the cast the other - without having to duplicate the model. Takes about 12 hours to print a full platform - about 12 - 14 chromes, then we run copings which are much faster.

The printed denture with teeth clipped in must be just round the corner as well.

Last edited:
Y

YMS96

Reaction score
***, thanks for your reply,but profit aside. I was interested on how buried1999 was able to mill one in under 30 min. if you or anyone else here has input on that I'm all ears.

Unless he has pictures or a movie of him doing it, I doubt he did that.

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
Has anything changed since 2011? Are there printers now that will get the fit and smooth texture amenable to casting and finishing, (and for a decent price?)

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Has anything changed since 2011? Are there printers now that will get the fit and smooth texture amenable to casting and finishing, (and for a decent price?)
still depends what your workflow is.

printing resin, for sprueing and casting - yes some printers are pretty amazing surface texture and smoothness, and printed in resin for stability, or try in, or wax for immediate casting

or

printing the frame via laser melting well you will have some finishing to do on it before even considering putting that on a model or anywhere near a patient.

look to Projet 3510, or Objet's new wax printer. bit costly but they are the tops.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i'm highly interested to know if anyone has tried NanoZr for partials yet.

AltreX

AltreX

Reaction score
Was al parts well done after this odysey?

AltreX

AltreX

Reaction score
That technology (SLS) does not produce the fit the need in Dentistry for C&B.

Let me know if you hear of a success story using that stuff. I know a company somewhere is sintering a group of copings, but then it needs hours and hours of additional milling on a CNC mill. Why not just start out on a CNC. Or, better yet, just print some patterns for pennys each, and invest and cast. It will be 10x cheaper and more accurate. You can't mill a square corner or sharp ridge inside an object. I CAN print a very sharp edge inside a coping, and do it very fast and cheap.

Silly idea IMO. The laser spot diameter is too large for 25-50micron fit on copings. End of story. Same for the SLA models. Their a good match for each other, but not in Dentistry. Both are around 100+/-microns.

SLM/DSLM now has a good enough quality for coppings and bridges from Co-Cr. We preffer it more instead of CNC milling because only few use 0.6 or smaller burs to finish designs and that leads to disapointing fit on model :(