Opinion on scanner, vacuum & furnace for Roland DWX50

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
don't buy the sales pitch. look at more things before you form opinions. definitely don't take our word for Dental Wings Crappiness. what we may consider bad, may indeed be a feature you won't need, and so our opinion may be rendered invalid. keep your mind open. good luck!

neila

neila

Reaction score
I would be all over the new D900 from 3-shape for a scanner in conjunction with 3-Shape for design. We have 2-Roland mills and a DDL, the Rolands are kick ass. The service from CAP has been awesome, you should get in touch with them, they know this digital thing backwards. Go with a decent sintering oven, it DOES make a difference. We just purchased a Sintra and have been happy so far...

Q

qlife

Reaction score
Let us know what you think about it ! Have a trial version for some time and work with it .

Just finished meeting with dental wings rep. Software looks pretty easy to use and operate. It seems they had some issues in the past with their 5series scanner due to conflicts with hardware and software. They started integrating the computer into the scanner because of this and they claim to no longer have any issues with this. As far as scanning copings goes, it looks as if anyone who can read a lab slip and operate a computer should be able to do it. Every step after inputting necessary patient information is automatically detected, from margins to coping design. The full contour crown designing side was pretty interesting and didn't look very difficult to do either. It seems they are offering a 4 year license with purchase of their scanner until the end of this month through Henry Schein. This offer seems tempting but I still haven't seen exocad yet.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Just finished meeting with dental wings rep. Software looks pretty easy to use and operate. It seems they had some issues in the past with their 5series scanner due to conflicts with hardware and software. They started integrating the computer into the scanner because of this and they claim to no longer have any issues with this. As far as scanning copings goes, it looks as if anyone who can read a lab slip and operate a computer should be able to do it. Every step after inputting necessary patient information is automatically detected, from margins to coping design. The full contour crown designing side was pretty interesting and didn't look very difficult to do either. It seems they are offering a 4 year license with purchase of their scanner until the end of this month through Henry Schein. This offer seems tempting but I still haven't seen exocad yet.

I think that the hardware-software issue is a lame excuse . I have a Dell T3600 workstation , way better than what they are recommending . And trust me , 7 series also has issues . I can show you some pics if you like . Maybe less bugs than 5 series , but still bugs . A friend of mine sold it , and now he is searching for a new , exocad scanner . He is testing SmartOptics right now .

It is easy and automated , I give them that , but are you building on simple copings ? I don't , I want the framework to support the ceramic . Maybe this is why I don't like it and having trouble using it . Because I want to design a reduced tooth and not just a coping . And this is where Exocad wins hands down . The reduced frameworks look fantastic , exactly what I want form my design . Also in DW you don't jave the ability to move a cusp for example , but you have to move some little dots that are making the design look like something else than a tooth .

Full contour is nice , after they added the mirror anatomy function and the merz library . Their DW libraries are good only if you want to laugh with them . I never use them . In the next version , 3.5 they will add 6-7 more I think . And they will add the ''prettau'' module . Something that 3shpae and Exocad already have for a long time .

I can't be objective about Dental Wings , because I have spent many many hours cursing them , I am just telling you my experience with their system , that's all .

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
teamviewer, anytime you want.....?

Or, I can send you a Demo Dongle and you can play-away!

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
teamviewer, anytime you want.....?

Or, I can send you a Demo Dongle and you can play-away!

I want one Scotty !! At least until I am ready to order mine from Luigi !

S

STJDENT

Reaction score
You are asking for a boat load of info.
Do the scanner and CAD first. Based on all the threads and posts on this forum I think Dental wings has fallen behind. If anyone out there has a contrary opinion please pipe in. We had it and sold it a couple of years ago. Now Straumann is a major owner and I'm not sure this product is a priority to this huge company. That leaves 3Shape or an open architect scanner and Exocad. As far as the CAD software is concerned I think both will get you what you need to do. Personally I like 3Shape. Also like the intergration that 3Shape has built into the system with the Trios. And, the Trios is best in class IOS. There are many happy Exocad users here as well. If you go with 3Shape the scanner decision is comparatively easy. Exocad is a different story. There are about 20 different open scanners to choose from. They range in price from $6-35K. I think you get what you pay for (again, I think). As far as the annual fees, 3Shape is mandatory and Exocad upgrades are voluntary. Either way, if you want the new features you will need to pay.

Dental specific Mills are now abundant. The choices should be narrowed down based on what you want to mill. The price of entry is considerably less if you mill dry only. No e.max or metals. Roland (dry only 5axis) has worked very well for many of us on DLN. We run four of them day and night. You may also want to look at VHF and Imes. Personal opinion, don't buy a four axis mill. Go for the five. If you only have one mill and its four axis you will be frustrated with what your unable to do with it.

Sintering, go with a furnace that has Mosi2 heating elements. Many do not have this and the replacement heating elements and cost is often and expensive. We like both Mihm Vogt and the Sintra. Both are a little more expensive than what you are looking at. But, they fire very consistantly and don't break down. This is important. You don't want ugly in house remakes due to a bad sintering cycles. The inexpensive furnaces are much less predictable. At least, in our experience. We have seven sintering furnaces and the mentioned ones simply produce the most consistant firing and end result.

CAM, Sum 3D period.

What about furnaces with SiC elements? Heard MoSi2 elements can contaminate.

Last edited:
M

mihir45

Reaction score
depending on temprature u want to take ur furncace. but sic gives good results.mosi2 is economical