Printing Partials?

joonya

joonya

Reaction score
Has anyone had much experience with casting printed partial frameworks? 3Shape is adding a partial design module to their lineup this fall, and we're interested. I would like to know if the results have been positive, and if so, who to contact regarding the actual printing of our designs. Are any printing facilities, markedly better than any of the others?

Any input you have would be helpful.

THANKS!

B

BruceQuality

Reaction score
Our partial dept. is printing and casting currently. I am with Crown and Bridge and do not have direct contact with its usage. We had several retirements in the last few years in the partial dept. and the printer became the means to replace the lost experience.

joonya

joonya

Reaction score
We have a similar situation here. We're trying to decide outsource vs. purchasing a printer. Are you using Sensable or another system? How are they fitting? What printer do you have? (or do you outsource?)

Last edited:
kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Brian Carson showed us a sensible RPD over in the removables section last year. I believe he had the chrome lab just cast it. Try asking him for feedback on fit and finish.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Go 3Shape and go "Open"!

I'll print some patterns for ya anytime.

Sensable has a "per use" fee plus you are locked into them for manufacturing. You can't go outside the Sensable network. You can buy your own printer, but only from Sensable, and only on their terms.

Scott

Last edited:
joonya

joonya

Reaction score
We voted against sensible largely because of those exact reasons. We are in the process of getting the 3Shape system, just deciding on milling machines and/or printers at the moment before we go further. I'm trying to get more info on potential outsourcing facilities (price, quality, and turnaround times). Thank you very much for your offer! Once we get up and running, I will mosty likely take you up on it!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I'd be glad to sell you a printer as well. We have the best prices, and I would show you how to enter other possible markets with the RP technology

(rapid-prototype = RP)

Scott

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
First off I think it is wonderful that technology is appearing in the removable arena.. However at the end of the day I, nor my accounts could tell a different in fit or finish.. Printed frames are fantastic for rapid prototype, but that's a bout it even though Sensable will swear up and down about fit ( if you have issue with casting then the point is mute)...

Now, if you want to cast and finish your own, be no different than C&B farming out copings.. Just one thing to remember: When you go to burn out, burn out slow; I would recommend a cold oven. ( it is a resin pattern )

I haven't had a request for a frame in about 2 months now.. Acrylic transitional partials with versacry and immediate dentures is the word of the quarter...

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Sensable does not use the best scanner. The SmartOptics, or Ovascan, or ?? it's called had a lot of data voids, and resolution is poor.

Who sees any money in partials anyway?

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
I've seen demand for metal frames drop quite a bit also. I do about 5 a week...if I'm lucky. Lots of Valplasts even some in cases I'm not quite comfortable with though I'm not sure why. But I seem to be doing a lot for single tooth immediates that are temps for implants. I'm happy but I wonder why they think the more expensive Valplast is warranted. I know they stay in better with less 'footprint', especially the premolar nesbits. Oops looks like a thread high-jack here. So I'll repost this under "Valplast for Temps"

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Sensable does not use the best scanner. The SmartOptics, or Ovascan, or ?? it's called had a lot of data voids, and resolution is poor.

Who sees any money in partials anyway?

I keep my frame lab pretty busy, and cast frame and RPD labor are the one and two sales items, followed by complete dentures....
Its all relative to your market....
There is a tremendous demographic expansion in need for removables, and for many that means partials, there's plenty of money in them, believe me.

B

BruceQuality

Reaction score
I believe ours is a 3Shape. To get the quality of frame and fit the partial dept. expects, the amount of time our techs spend designing the frame is greater than what the company advertised. We print and cast in our lab.

neila

neila

Reaction score
We have the Sensable system, we have 2 design stations and 2 Printers, doing about 24 frames a day on busy days. The system is great with regards to replacing skilled techs who are hard to come by, with a younger more techy person, who within a fairly short period of time can block out and waxup. The printers can be a bit unreliable, hence the need for 2 if you change over 100 percent your production from traditional.
It is a pricy system and materials are not cheap....that is the downside. The company is great to deal with and their cutomer service is second to none. My 2 cents worth....:D

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Thanks Neila! So do you have to charge a higher price to offset the cost, if so, how much??? I see this as eventually becoming the landscape for how RPD frames are done.... I'd be good to know what to expect.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Are you using UHD mode for partials? (Ultra-High Def.)

How long are your print times for partials? I'd guess......8-9hrs?

Has your service guy installed the new metal wiper for the heated planerizer on either of your printers? I'm trying one, but I don't think I like it. Too dry with more texture on the layers. I could be seeing things? I have it (scraper) set all the way up, almost. The old one was plastic and prone to warping. You would get the two materials blended together in some places, or "tagging" of pieces on the back side of a part with a warped blade.

Has your Xenon UV lamp blown out any??

I have some neat files you could print if you get board.popcorn

Scott

Last edited:
neila

neila

Reaction score
Our print times can be up to 10 hours if we have uppers that are deep. We have the wiper that came installed with the unit nothing has been replaced, so far we have had no issues with printers or quality of print. We did however struggle at the beginning with fits from resin to metal, took a while to figure that out. We do not charge a higher price for our partials to offset any cost, we feel in the long run it will pay for itself (it will take a while) There are a few negatives with the system with regards consistency of palatal fits in the upper postdams, we can get perfect fits everytime with traditional frames (refractory method) somehow with sensable the resins are absolutely perfect on model but when cast it sometimes does not translate which can be frustrating.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Is it possible the resin is behaving poorly at burnout? I know that some of the pattern resins (GC vs Pikoplast vs Duralay) act very differently when they go to burnout....

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Um, ok.

The printer is unreliable and yet you have had no issues with either?

Thanks for clearing that up!:confused:

Once they get the initial bugs worked out (if any) these printers seem to run for a loooong time. I had a six year old unit that I beat on everyday.

neila

neila

Reaction score
Sorry that is a contradiction, let me clarify. We researched before we bought and spoke to a number of labs, one of which had his printer replaced because of so many breakdowns. The printer is sensitive, it does not like dust and does well when used all the time, if it sits for periods it becomes unreliable, that is what we were told.