Printing Partials?

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
If they don't like dust, are you forced to isolate them from the other lab areas?

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
Our print times can be up to 10 hours if we have uppers that are deep. We have the wiper that came installed with the unit nothing has been replaced, so far we have had no issues with printers or quality of print. We did however struggle at the beginning with fits from resin to metal, took a while to figure that out. We do not charge a higher price for our partials to offset any cost, we feel in the long run it will pay for itself (it will take a while) There are a few negatives with the system with regards consistency of palatal fits in the upper postdams, we can get perfect fits everytime with traditional frames (refractory method) somehow with sensable the resins are absolutely perfect on model but when cast it sometimes does not translate which can be frustrating.

Let me make sure I understand, did you say it takes ten hours to print a frame? if so that doesn't seem very efficient, does it? even if a simpler frame takes 1/3 that amount of time that is still slow. Seems like it would take 100 years to pay for one of those things at at that rate.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Let me make sure I understand, did you say it takes ten hours to print a frame? if so that doesn't seem very efficient, does it? even if a simpler frame takes 1/3 that amount of time that is still slow. Seems like it would take 100 years to pay for one of those things at at that rate.

I'm sure that would be around twelve or more patterns.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
They are not affected by dust.

Maybe I misunderstood Neila's statement, or was it only anecdotal and doesn't apply in the real world.
I'm just trying to wrap my head around the day to day use of these things.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
I'm sure that would be around twelve or more patterns.

Thanks for clearing that up! The chrome lab I use have not been pleased with their printer. I'm not even sure if they use it anymore I'll have to ask them, not sure which one they have either.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Mine is over five feet tall, three feet wide, and over five feet deep.
Shipping weight is around 1000lbs.
It has wheels.

We rolled ours out of the building, down the sidewalk, and onto a lift-gate truck.
Then drove it 300miles to a show in NC, rolled it over crazy bumps and ramps...set-up in five minutes in Hotel, printed all weekend. Then headed back to Richmond. The printer is still running just fine. We print almost 80% of the day.

Cold weather, hot weather, dust, whatever...it makes it's own environment inside with many fans, filters, and heaters. Most parts need to be near 70C anyway inside the machine. My printing room has been from 90F-55F and seems to have little effect.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Oh, it is very very quiet. I can talk on the telephone while sitting on the machine, and you's never hear it.

neila

neila

Reaction score
WE did isolate our machines. We have them in an office that is far from the lab area. The way I understand it dust does effect them negatively. One of the labs we went to had added regular furnace filters cut to size to try and eliminate the dust. They did have it in the lab environment.
Hydent to answer your question, it takes between 9-10 hours for a print cycle with partials, that can be 10-13 partials, however many will fit on the plate. When we run a print cycle for C+B only it is 3-4 hours.
One more thing when doing backings on cases and onlays, this system cannot be beat. It takes so much less time then traditional hand waxing with way better results.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
One more thing when doing backings on cases and onlays, this system cannot be beat. It takes so much less time then traditional hand waxing with way better results.
This case Brian posted had backng for anterior facings.... it was a real sweet piece of work.
Y'know the person at my frame lab that I've dealt with more than 10 year died last month (she'd been there 30). Sooner or later we re all going to be working with these technologies.

A

alan2423

Reaction score
have used a demo of 3shpae with a 3d systems printer results were very good, cant wait for shapes release in sept. for the removables.

neila

neila

Reaction score
have used a demo of 3shpae with a 3d systems printer results were very good, cant wait for shapes release in sept. for the removables.
We use 3-shape for our design. Great results for copings and bridges printed on the DP 3000. Margins do not have to be touched in 90 percent of the cases. It comes down to the prep, the better the prep the better the result

B

Buried1999

Reaction score
We have tried milling partials from PMMA blocks. Avarage designing time in Dental Wings CAD software is 10 minutes ans evarage milling time is about 20-25 minutes in the milling machine. It was a 4x machine but the milled partial needed some minor adjustments. We used picasoft Mayka and Yenadent D30 milling machine.

The fit is almost perfect when we sintered the same case in the EOS selective laser sintering machine. But I dont think that is is a good idea to use a machine like EOS for partials instead of sintering 300 copings per day.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
That technology (SLS) does not produce the fit the need in Dentistry for C&B.

Let me know if you hear of a success story using that stuff. I know a company somewhere is sintering a group of copings, but then it needs hours and hours of additional milling on a CNC mill. Why not just start out on a CNC. Or, better yet, just print some patterns for pennys each, and invest and cast. It will be 10x cheaper and more accurate. You can't mill a square corner or sharp ridge inside an object. I CAN print a very sharp edge inside a coping, and do it very fast and cheap.

Silly idea IMO. The laser spot diameter is too large for 25-50micron fit on copings. End of story. Same for the SLA models. Their a good match for each other, but not in Dentistry. Both are around 100+/-microns.

Last edited:
U

Un-CDT

Reaction score
I'm trying to test mill partial frames on a 4x mill
Could you give me some insite on how you got ut down to 30 min? Also what tools did you use, size?

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
I'm trying to test mill partial frames on a 4x mill
Could you give me some insite on how you got ut down to 30 min? Also what tools did you use, size?

Don't waste your time, it will never work. Printing is the ONLY way to go.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Don't waste your time, it will never work. Printing is the ONLY way to go.

No way you could begin to mill a partial for profit. Sure it can be done, but not making any $$. You will never see this idea even talked about, much less actually attempted.

U

Un-CDT

Reaction score
Can you exspound on that? What in the process will not work? Give me your insite.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Too much surface area with too many undercuts.

The CAM would be a nightmare IMO, and at the moment no such CAM exists in a turn-key package. Are you a CNC programming expert from Germany or Swiss maybe looking for a hobby?

You would need a Five axis mill fo'sure, and then it would be a complete udder waste of time.

U

Un-CDT

Reaction score
***, thanks for your reply,but profit aside. I was interested on how buried1999 was able to mill one in under 30 min. if you or anyone else here has input on that I'm all ears.