Does anodizing make a noticeable difference?

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Before I decide to buy an anodizer, I would like to know if the gold colored abutment makes a noticeable improvement to the color of the gingiva as opposed to one which hasn't been anodized. I'm sure it probably helps, but is it enough to warrant doing it on a regular basis. Anyone got any side by side photo comparisons?

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
a2b76e72a639acb7341b3895cc157a67.jpg

Here's a photo I pulled off the net. I would like to give credit but can't remember where it came from.
I have less than $300 into a anodizing setup and I do not charge for it.
My feeling is even if it only appears to look better its worth it. It takes hardly any time to do and I think of it as a value added service.
When given a choice show me the person that chooses gray over gold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Before I decide to buy an anodizer, I would like to know if the gold colored abutment makes a noticeable improvement to the color of the gingiva as opposed to one which hasn't been anodized. I'm sure it probably helps, but is it enough to warrant doing it on a regular basis. Anyone got any side by side photo comparisons?
No photos, but it makes a difference depending on how thick the material you are using is and how much gingiva is covering the facial aspect of the abutment.
As pjd cdt said, you can get a set up for less than 300 and supplies are cheap. I anodize every implant and do it as value added service as well.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Whats the fishing bobber for pjd? What are you using for solution?

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
1/2 cup TSP-PF to 1/2 gallon distilled h2o. And the bobber is used when fishing to keep your bait at a predetermined depth.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
No photos, but it makes a difference depending on how thick the material you are using is and how much gingiva is covering the facial aspect of the abutment.
As pjd cdt said, you can get a set up for less than 300 and supplies are cheap. I anodize every implant and do it as value added service as well.

Hey Tooth...is it possible to get the coating too thick? Seems like a very quick process.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Hey Tooth...is it possible to get the coating too thick? Seems like a very quick process.
The oxide layer is measured in angstroms. It is pretty thin.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

How did you come up with the setting of 62.5? And I take it touching the probe to the abutments initiates the reaction? So all that is titanium is "oxidized" including the hex? Since it is such a thin layer, it doesn't inhibit the seating in any way of a friction fit Zimmer abutment, and would abrade off during seating if anything?

Does it matter what TSP-PF you use, is this grade do-able? http://www.amazon.com/Savogran-10611-TSP-PhosFree-Cleaner/dp/B000BQMR04

The unit you have is pretty reasonably priced, seems like a nice piece of equipment: https://www.riogrande.com/Product/smt-micro-anodizer/335250

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
How often do you have to change your solution?
I change it when the results start to become shakey.
I use distilled water and TSP from Lowes at less than $5 a pound. 5gms per liter of water. My voltage setting is nearly the same as the video.
I do mine one at a time and wax out the interface for a two tone finish, but I may have to try this technique.

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
475cc4fb7347353f897376cd26793a66.jpg

I use the solution for a couple of months
That tsp would work fine
I bought my power supply thru Reactive Metals Studio, they can get you all set up. You'll need the power supply, sheet steel and nobelium rod for a anode and a cathode. And some plastic mesh for safety.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
475cc4fb7347353f897376cd26793a66.jpg

I use the solution for a couple of months
That tsp would work fine
I bought my power supply thru Reactive Metals Studio, they can get you all set up. You'll need the power supply, sheet steel and nobelium rod for a anode and a cathode. And some plastic mesh for safety.

My power supply is probably made in the same factory as yours, I found it somewhere else online.
I use niobium wire for my cathode and a titanium earring wire for the anode from RMS. Do you etch first?

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
I found etching made very little difference for gold color but is a must for pink. I have not spent enough time to get a good protocol to get a consistent pink color.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score

Well, that does it...I can't let you guys have your work looking better than mine! It's order time! Laugh

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Excellent images, video and information, pjd cdt. So far this thread is your Winner. Thanks.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Is the FDA aware of what you are doing here?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Is that a factor, rkm, is it not in their guidelines of what we can do, or is that considered a alteration? If a sanctioned lab does it, is it ok, then?