3shape 2013 proposals not so bueno

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Anyone one else having the initial proposal of a crown or bridge be so far off that you'd rather wax and then scan the wax up? I do sometimes.
So I figure I must be doing something wrong but it only started happening with this latest update we did.
Any help?
Still waiting to hear back from our dealer.
And that weird single central one shouldn't be here but I can't delete it...sorry

cantaliver bridge.jpg 3shape lowerant proposals.jpg
temp crown suckiness.jpg cantaliver bridge.jpg 3shape lowerant proposals.jpg

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
It can't do everything for you automatically :) YET.

The standard libraries seem to give a better initial proposal than some of my custom libraries.

How experienced are you with the software?

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
John, please!
The older software used to give great proposals; they were better aligned, matched buccal/lingual corridors way better, and occlusion was way better too. Now it's like they are just grabbing a tooth from a pile and saying here you go, start shrinking, stretching and manipulating. What used to take me 5 min average per unit designed is now 8, may not seem like much but itthe minutes add up fast!

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I occasionally get the large teeth and have to shrink them down, but that is within the library its self when it was set up. Does it do it with all the other libraries other the the Vita T3M?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Yet another beta release waiting for our feedback... before it came up with the pesky bug report windows now does it automatically behind the screen... no bueno as you've said...

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
John, please!
The older software used to give great proposals; they were better aligned, matched buccal/lingual corridors way better, and occlusion was way better too. Now it's like they are just grabbing a tooth from a pile and saying here you go, start shrinking, stretching and manipulating. What used to take me 5 min average per unit designed is now 8, may not seem like much but itthe minutes add up fast!

Sorry I think you read into my post as being judgmental and that wasn't the case,

I can only speak from my experience with both versions and however coincidental as my install of new design libraries and the newer version were concurrent I assumed this was the issue. I guess I am just not bitching about an extra minute or two of designing at this point and really just happy that the system does work so effectively.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I was actually trying for N**** please, but put your name there to avoid any racism charges:)

My frustration is I feel 3shape took a step backward somehow. No biggie just want it to be as efficient as it was once was.

ed 3

ed 3

Reaction score
3 shape sucks! You guys growing new class of dummy techs who will eventually be just as a geeks who have no clue about anatomy or anything else around the lab.Why reinvent the wheel anyway that will spin like a turtle? popcorn Just throw it to the garbage can.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
3 shape sucks! You guys growing new class of dummy techs who will eventually be just as a geeks who have no clue about anatomy or anything else around the lab.Why reinvent the wheel anyway that will spin like a turtle? popcorn Just throw it to the garbage can.

Because this wheel will make me over 2 mill this year.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Ed 3,
even though I have this one complaint, I love this technology. I can produce equally if not better quality than any waxer has done for us, and way way way way way more consistently! And I can do triple what they do in a day. What does this mean? Our lab of 23 employees is saved while we've watched many go out of business due to falling prices and what the media calls a "successful economic recovery" that the government has pulled off...the economy sucks! Being able to produce consistent quality crowns with great anatomy and contour with this equipment is going to be what keeps our lab alive...that's jobs for people with families. If we depended on your mindset we would be done. Sorry, but that's the truth.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score

So if I changed your comment to:

Exocad sucks! You guys growing new class of dummy techs who will eventually be just as a geeks who have no clue about anatomy or anything else around the lab.Why reinvent the wheel anyway that will spin like a turtle? popcorn Just throw it to the garbage can.

What is the difference? Software is software. Place a dummy tech in front of Exocad, Dental wings, 3shape, Zirkon Zahn and any other design software and you will get the exact same results, geeks how have no clue about anatomy. Obviously you don't get the fact that the tech is only as good as his own knowledge, the software is nearly a tool, a waxing unit a wax carver with precision and nothing else. Put a dummy tech in front of a waxer with the best tools, wax and so on you think you will get the best results? Either way it is the same thing. Maybe the lab shouldn't hire dummy techs to run the stuff in the first place and save them the frustration.

ed 3

ed 3

Reaction score
Summary:
I've seen many labs with many kind of systems, scanning by myself.... my conclusion that you sooner or later will realize that you just been like a lab rats for corporate machine that sold you "grate staff" and made you their slaves for a long time,now wait and update it on their terms)) Congrats you've got one more master-employer))) I've been told that cad is"vary fast and efficient"-NOT!!! No meter what you trying to prove here on this forum,there as many others (silent majority) of those who already been burned by this big scam brought to you by CEREC,3Shape,3M and others.

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Ed your a dinosaur and will soon be extinct if you do not adapt.

Your skill-set is not in question here, I am sure as opinionated as you are you have found a way to hone your skills to be able to produce fine restorations. Unfortunately the market for analog restorations based on todays pricing trends will not sustain a small lab in the years to come. Unless your going after a client willing to pay at least double the national average, I can't see the small lab being able to compete.

As for your comment about contour I think I can take a person off of the street and teach them proper contour on the computer way faster than I can with a carver and a block of wax. A tool is a tool and is only as good as the person controlling the tool. Dexterity and hand eye coordination in my opinion is much easier to master with a mouse than with a brush.

ed 3

ed 3

Reaction score
Ed your a dinosaur and will soon be extinct if you do not adapt.

Your skill-set is not in question here, I am sure as opinionated as you are you have found a way to hone your skills to be able to produce fine restorations. Unfortunately the market for analog restorations based on todays pricing trends will not sustain a small lab in the years to come. Unless your going after a client willing to pay at least double the national average, I can't see the small lab being able to compete.

As for your comment about contour I think I can take a person off of the street and teach them proper contour on the computer way faster than I can with a carver and a block of wax. A tool is a tool and is only as good as the person controlling the tool. Dexterity and hand eye coordination in my opinion is much easier to master with a mouse than with a brush.
John, I like you as honest employer and tech., I think you are.But I can't agree with based what I know. You are right somewhat, I semiretired from been labtech,I do defferent job already. I made my choce long time ago and I make much more then used to in both as been lab tech and on my other job. I just not willig adapt skill that I know will not satisfy and will not make me happy.
Just fanny when I hear argumen like "I can get anyone from the street....." ,no offence it is just naive ......hear not the first time.

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Aww poor Ed is gone, I missed his misguided ramblings

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
try hand waxing that one