Digital Denture Conversion in 3shape/exocad

N

Necessitarian

Reaction score
Hello, I've just signed up to this website seeking information which no one in the field of resellers and "educators" seems to be able to process. i'm a fellow victim of 3shape looking for answers to questions which 3shape tech support cannot even understand. I don't really know where else to go or whom to contact but my boss wants me to figure out how to: adapt an existing full arch thimble bar design from an edentulous IO scan from a patient prior to implant surgery to an incoming IO scan of the same patient with MUAs in place without changing anything about the initial thimble bar design EXCEPT for adding the MUA connections to their proper, respective positions from the new IO scan after surgery. Simply put, how do you retrofit a denture that looks like a thimble bar unto a scan with abutments, digitally?

Naturally, i figured the closest real life example of doing this analog is a denture conversion procedure but transposed into a digital workflow.

To come at this problem a different way, I'm trying to understand if there's any way to adapt a full arch pre-op/wax up design scan to a scan with abutments scanned as dies instead of having to individually use the mirroring tool for every single unit to "copy scans" and then sculpt each individual tooth only to then waste more time sculpting the gingiva for hours at a time.

I know there's a "copy denture" function, but can that function allow me to copy a "denture" but add the sockets for the abutments scanned as dies to it such that I can fit these abutments into the full arch after it's milled/printed. Otherwise, what is the simplest most efficient means of accomplishing the same objective?

Intuitively, it seems like an extremely simple procedure as a concept and it would be even more useful in practice, but I've always suspected that it's not actually possible to do this. If this is a 3shape limitation and Exocad has such a function then our lab wouldn't mind investing in a license in order to learn Exocad as long as this is actually executable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you will require 2 things

1. a scan of the denture on the model/patient
2. a separate scan of the model/patient without the denture
3. a scan of the model/patient with scan bodies in place

then you can proceed through either 3shape or exocad's maze.

N

Necessitarian

Reaction score
you will require 2 things

1. a scan of the denture on the model/patient
2. a separate scan of the model/patient without the denture
3. a scan of the model/patient with scan bodies in place

then you can proceed through either 3shape or exocad's maze.
How would you set up the order?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
if you have all that data, setup as a normal all on 4 with a pre-prep or waxup scan.

ToofMaker

ToofMaker

Reaction score
Hello, I've just signed up to this website seeking information which no one in the field of resellers and "educators" seems to be able to process. i'm a fellow victim of 3shape looking for answers to questions which 3shape tech support cannot even understand. I don't really know where else to go or whom to contact but my boss wants me to figure out how to: adapt an existing full arch thimble bar design from an edentulous IO scan from a patient prior to implant surgery to an incoming IO scan of the same patient with MUAs in place without changing anything about the initial thimble bar design EXCEPT for adding the MUA connections to their proper, respective positions from the new IO scan after surgery. Simply put, how do you retrofit a denture that looks like a thimble bar unto a scan with abutments, digitally?

Naturally, i figured the closest real life example of doing this analog is a denture conversion procedure but transposed into a digital workflow.

To come at this problem a different way, I'm trying to understand if there's any way to adapt a full arch pre-op/wax up design scan to a scan with abutments scanned as dies instead of having to individually use the mirroring tool for every single unit to "copy scans" and then sculpt each individual tooth only to then waste more time sculpting the gingiva for hours at a time.

I know there's a "copy denture" function, but can that function allow me to copy a "denture" but add the sockets for the abutments scanned as dies to it such that I can fit these abutments into the full arch after it's milled/printed. Otherwise, what is the simplest most efficient means of accomplishing the same objective?

Intuitively, it seems like an extremely simple procedure as a concept and it would be even more useful in practice, but I've always suspected that it's not actually possible to do this. If this is a 3shape limitation and Exocad has such a function then our lab wouldn't mind investing in a license in order to learn Exocad as long as this is actually executable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
I belive I can show you a step by step of the workflow, but I would need access to the files. If you shoot the stls over to me and ill throw something together tomorrow

Top Bottom