What kind of mill do you own? and what's the lifespan?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I have the machine for 2 1/2 years, basically it fails almost every 8 months. I only use it 6 hours a week for a dental office, After the year warranty they charge you 3000 for transportation of the technician if you have extended warranty. The first time I paid 2000 because it fail soo much that they gave me a dIscount, now again the same problem. Their answer was, we repair that problem 1 year and 2 months ago, you have to pay 3200 to repair that again.
This machine does not have even 600 hours of use.
which machine?

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
M

mfonro

53 minutes ago

Yes, I have the Ceramill dna for two and 1/2 years and the machine has been repaired 2 times during the year of warranty, later I have to pay 2000 after fighting because they charge 3000 for the transportation of the technician. Now it has the same problem that they repair 1 year and 2 months ago and they said that I have to pay 3200 because the part was changed after 1 year. Also I bought the extended warranty for four years but it does not cover transportation fee of 3200

Like Quote Reply

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
M

mfonro

53 minutes ago

Yes, I have the Ceramill dna for two and 1/2 years and the machine has been repaired 2 times during the year of warranty, later I have to pay 2000 after fighting because they charge 3000 for the transportation of the technician. Now it has the same problem that they repair 1 year and 2 months ago and they said that I have to pay 3200 because the part was changed after 1 year. Also I bought the extended warranty for four years but it does not cover transportation fee of 3200

Like Quote Reply

im lazy LOL
thanks

H

Holly93

Reaction score
Roland DWX-52D (dry 5-axis milling machine). Only 4 months old.

Salesman hooked me on a three year of warranty, support, software updates and ongoing training all included. After that annual maintenance charge ($2,100 or so) charge after the 4th year is optional.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Roland DWX 50
just over 2k hours now.
Mostly Zi, wax and some PMMA.
Only problem we've had was a faulty solenoid that clicks the air on and off when milling. Replaced under warranty, and been fine since.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Yeah, i liken it to a corolla

Attachments

• KnobbyEnchantedAndalusianhorse-size_restricted.gif
    KnobbyEnchantedAndalusianhorse-size_restricted.gif
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
Kam Yu

Kam Yu

Reaction score
Vhf k4 about 4 yrs with many touch point issues. Still struggling with it

Vhf k5 bought used but maybe 2.5 yrs old total. b axis and poss y axis need replacement so shipping to vhf.

Im still pretty happy with vhf quality overall but just unlucky maybe.

R

Rockmuscle

Reaction score
Since then:
2 more Dwx-50 that have been awesome - 4 years, 2 spindles and one rebuild.
3 Roland 51d that have been very good, 2-3 years, minor issues only.
1 Amann girbach ceramill motion 2 - 3-4 years - awesome, minor issues and one expensive recalibration of the rotation for abutments.
1 ivoclar weiland select hybrid - 2 years. - nightmare! Constant repairs and downtime, very expensive to run and more problems than the rest of the mills combined.
1 Axsys Versamill 5s400 - so far awesome, minor complications, real workhorse.

Bear in mind we are pretty demanding equipment wise, we run the mills a lot of hours and put a ton of units through them. We also have very rigorous equipment maintenance - I can pull logs on every piece of equipment and know that maintenance was performed and track uptime and service costs, as well as material usage by machine. We maintain them well, but we need them to RUN.

Going forward - we are adding the versamill 5x200 from Axsys this month, and will most likely be gradually replacing the Rolands with 5x400 or 5x200’s (it I buy a boat the ivoclar mill might make a decent anchor lol)
Hi, the versamill 5x400 ,did you sign up for the updates? They charge over $2000 a year for updates and services. It is a good mill and my 1year warranty is coming to an end. I must have called them 7or 8 times for questions. I feel this is over priced. They should charge by the hour.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
But how would they make any money once they sold you the mill?

M

mmbh

Reaction score
versamill 5x400. 2 years heavy use not one issue with mill. Had cam software issue after windows update. Emailed Tech service and they remoted in after a few minutes and fixed it at 9:00 pm so I could mill out overnight. Awesome service, worth every penny.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
You would pay $2000 for a few minutes on the phone?

M

mmbh

Reaction score
Its for anything all year. When you've got thousands of dollars worth of cases due the next day, you bet I would, especially if you keep clients happy and coming back to you. Its a business decision. I was in a bad spot with tech support several years ago when another mill from a different company went down and I effectively had no solid support for 1-2 weeks. It was a nightmare.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I totally agree with you on that, Im not saying good service isnt important. I just think it should be billed when you need it, and not billed when you dont. You should be able to call and get help for the problem you have. Most issues are resolved quickly. What if a dentist called to ask a simple question and you say, sorry Id love to help you with the product I made, but you havent paid your service fee, can I get a credit card number first?
Why should you have to pay to resolve an issue like your windows update affecting their software? Ive had the same issue with my mill and they log on and fix it in 1 minute, for free.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I totally agree with you on that, Im not saying good service isnt important. I just think it should be billed when you need it, and not billed when you dont. You should be able to call and get help for the problem you have. Most issues are resolved quickly. What if a dentist called to ask a simple question and you say, sorry Id love to help you with the product I made, but you havent paid your service fee, can I get a credit card number first?
Why should you have to pay to resolve an issue like your windows update affecting their software? Ive had the same issue with my mill and they log on and fix it in 1 minute, for free.
In concept this is great, but an inevitable side product would be that the people who aren't as good at the digital side of things and are already struggling with the transition will rack up ridiculous service fees that they couldn't afford on top of not being as effective at running the equipment while the people who are good at it are going to need next to no service. The companies offering the service would have to charge a reasonably high rate to ensure they can afford the staff and research to be able to offer quick on demand service and they would only be able to keep things running because you have clients who need to much help to make up for those who don't need much at all, which over time would put the people who need the most help out of business because they can't afford to run inefficiently while paying a premium for support.

I think a modest 2k a year to all clients is a reasonable fee that any effectively run lab should be able to handle and it allows more people to stay in business through the digital transition.

I guess the end point is, if you want quick quality service, the techs you are going to have to keep on staff are going to want a paycheck regardless of whether any service calls come in. So you probably want a structure that gets you paid whether or not the customer needs that service within that time frame

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I get it, good for them, expensive for us. Going back to my first post.. 'how would they make any money after they sell you the mill?' The old maytag repair man comes to mind.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I get it, good for them, expensive for us. Going back to my first post.. 'how would they make any money after they sell you the mill?' The old maytag repair man comes to mind.
He's passed on and his son has become a roomba instructor named Alexa

shopping

Top Bottom