what's the best printer out there?

N

NoName

Reaction score
Hey, I don't print anything, but I am looking into it, might buy something, but I'm curious what's the best printer out there and how's the quality compared to our old ways of making things? Because right now I can see that people are printing splints, temporary crowns, even removable dentures, but there's always catch to it, for example temporary crowns are poor quality, so are the dentures..at least that's what I've heard, specially the temporary crowns, doctors say that they're very poor quality and you can't even compare to let's say cold cure made ones, so I'm wondering is it really worth it? Because I'd have to invest I'm guessing at least like 5k euro for something half decent and then I'd get poor quality on probably everything, so please tell me is it worth it? does it save time, does it produce good results or should I wait for some better technology?

Chiolo C

Chiolo C

Reaction score
Print splints should be no problem, if you find the right liquid. (we use Heygears)
it does that hard to get excellent shade to print temporary or denture teeth, but can works if patient don't care
we usually use PMMA mill the teeth and just print pink denture base, PMMA has better shade than stock resin teeth.

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
There is no best printer really.

That being said, I love Asiga. It's easy to use, accurate, and open source with resins.

We print temp crowns that are light-years better than cold cure.

dentallabmne

dentallabmne

Reaction score
For us its definitely sprintray, doesn't take long and is compatible with a lot of resins, so you don't have to be limited to theirs only

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Hey, I don't print anything, but I am looking into it, might buy something, but I'm curious what's the best printer out there and how's the quality compared to our old ways of making things? Because right now I can see that people are printing splints, temporary crowns, even removable dentures, but there's always catch to it, for example temporary crowns are poor quality, so are the dentures..at least that's what I've heard, specially the temporary crowns, doctors say that they're very poor quality and you can't even compare to let's say cold cure made ones, so I'm wondering is it really worth it? Because I'd have to invest I'm guessing at least like 5k euro for something half decent and then I'd get poor quality on probably everything, so please tell me is it worth it? does it save time, does it produce good results or should I wait for some better technology?
As mentioned above, Asiga is one and it is widely used in Labs. I myself have an Asiga Max and it has been working well for almost three years, now.

A

a3dl

Reaction score
We are loving our Carbon M2. A true workhorse

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
You absolutely do not need to invest anywhere near 5k to get up and running with printing. Quality hobbyist-tier printers like Phrozens can print 95% of the same resins as your 30k printers can, and at 95% of the resolution. It's shockingly cheap to get going with this stuff if you're willing to learn how to use the machine and do your own support (which every printer user should be able to do, no matter the printer selection).
The real expense for doing nightguards, temporary crowns etc is in the post-cure unit, a lot of the fancier resins need either nitrogen gas shielding or partial vacuum, so you'll need an Otoflash with n2 tank at bare minimum. If you already have this, you can probably get going for under 1k all in, plus the material expense.
RE: the results- understand that the mechanical properties of printed parts will never equal that of conventionally-manufactured parts. Work within that and you're fine. For example, we use that fancy Rodin nanoceramic resin (which you can print on a $600 phrozen!!) but not for actual permanent restorations, just long-term temps, for which it is very well-suited. Also remember that this is irrelevant for model, die etc printing, where the printer offers tremendous savings in expense and labour. A printer complements basically every part of labwork, even if you don't go all-in on printing actual appliances/restorations.

D

digimonolith

Reaction score
depends on the manufacture at hand... brilliant starter printer for basic stuff, I couldn't recommend a Phrozen sonic mighty more has been a real game changer in advancing my lab into the 21 century! and although not the cheapest is more affordable than others for a first timer!

N

NoName

Reaction score
There is no best printer really.

That being said, I love Asiga. It's easy to use, accurate, and open source with resins.

We print temp crowns that are light-years better than cold cure.
light-years better sounds too good lol, what materials (resins) are you using?

N

NoName

Reaction score
depends on the manufacture at hand... brilliant starter printer for basic stuff, I couldn't recommend a Phrozen sonic mighty more has been a real game changer in advancing my lab into the 21 century! and although not the cheapest is more affordable than others for a first timer!
basic stuff meaning what exactly? I assume models, trays and crowns?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
basic stuff meaning what exactly? I assume models, trays and crowns?
Paying more for a printer doesn't get you access to more sophisticated products, not really- everybody is validating new resins for hobby-tier open-material printers like the Phrozen line now. The detail and quality of parts coming off one of these 'starter' printers is largely indistinguishable from parts coming off a printer that costs 20x as much, and the difference is irrelevant for many materials/applications. That's no exaggeration- paying all that extra money for a DLP dental printer, like an Asiga, does get you a 'better' printer in many regards, but it doesn't really get you dramatically-better parts, or access to more advanced resins. For the most part, you're paying for the build quality, the support, and the dental-focused ecosystem.
My lab runs Carbons and Asigas, all excellent high-end printers that can do phenomenal work, and I still say that, nowadays, there's very little reason to pay 15k+ for a printer instead of 600 when you're starting out. It won't get you meaningfully-better results if you're willing to learn the printing process and your machine. Upgrade down the road if you start being limited by your equipment, generally because you want more build plate capacity.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
And re: materials- models are your starting point, and probably the bulk of your printing. Start there, learn how to support models and diagnose print failures, and then start exploring more challenging materials that need more care in nesting and printer settings; like- custom trays, surgical guides, gingiva for models, nightguards, and then into stuff that has the most demanding process control and post-processing attention, like denture bases, denture teeth, and 'printable zirconia' nanoceramics like Rodin Sculpture and Titan. The learning curve isn't really that steep, but it's very easy to ruin i.e. Rodin parts through incorrect post-processing, and the material itself is expensive enough that you shouldn't dive headfirst into that until you're a confident printer, imo.

N

NoName

Reaction score
And re: materials- models are your starting point, and probably the bulk of your printing. Start there, learn how to support models and diagnose print failures, and then start exploring more challenging materials that need more care in nesting and printer settings; like- custom trays, surgical guides, gingiva for models, nightguards, and then into stuff that has the most demanding process control and post-processing attention, like denture bases, denture teeth, and 'printable zirconia' nanoceramics like Rodin Sculpture and Titan. The learning curve isn't really that steep, but it's very easy to ruin i.e. Rodin parts through incorrect post-processing, and the material itself is expensive enough that you shouldn't dive headfirst into that until you're a confident printer, imo.
thx, yeah, I agree with everything you said, that was a good advice and yes, I would do exactly as you said - first start with simple things and when I'm more familiar with how everything works - I'd try something a bit more challenging and so on, that's the smart way of doing things and I'm sure there will be some kind of a learning curve

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Paying more for a printer doesn't get you access to more sophisticated products, not really- everybody is validating new resins for hobby-tier open-material printers like the Phrozen line now. The detail and quality of parts coming off one of these 'starter' printers is largely indistinguishable from parts coming off a printer that costs 20x as much, and the difference is irrelevant for many materials/applications. That's no exaggeration- paying all that extra money for a DLP dental printer, like an Asiga, does get you a 'better' printer in many regards, but it doesn't really get you dramatically-better parts, or access to more advanced resins. For the most part, you're paying for the build quality, the support, and the dental-focused ecosystem.
My lab runs Carbons and Asigas, all excellent high-end printers that can do phenomenal work, and I still say that, nowadays, there's very little reason to pay 15k+ for a printer instead of 600 when you're starting out. It won't get you meaningfully-better results if you're willing to learn the printing process and your machine. Upgrade down the road if you start being limited by your equipment, generally because you want more build plate capacity.
I'm so glad I started with a Phrozen. The removable dies are coming out wonderfully, the print quality is very nice. I designed a 4 unit bridge from a I/O scan, milled it in wax then printed the solid cast and removable die models. The fit was spot on with both. For my use in printing models, it's been an excellent affordable investment. Let alone replacement parts like the FEP, FEP with tank, are very reasonable.

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
light-years better sounds too good lol, what materials (resins) are you using?
I'm using Rodin Sculpture for temp crowns. I really like flexcera smile ultra+ too but it isn't radiopaque like Rodin is, flexcera is easier to clean because you can put it in an alcohol bath. They both polish nice.

Top Bottom