What's your favorite 3d model resin?

M

miltonic

Reaction score
Hey all, curious what your favorite 3d resin is for die models? I've tried a number of them now, between WhipMix, Asiga, and Ackuretta. So far I have to say I think Asiga brings the best value with their DentaModel, it is the least expensive of the three I mentioned, and looks the most appealing. I'd like to use our Ackuretta SOL printer more for model printing, however I'm not a fan of two of their own company resins I've tried, they don't look great, require constant stirring (Asiga requires none),and seem overpriced when comparing the final quality. Anyone found a good value(Not expensive) on model resins that look great other than Asiga Denta Model? Thanks for sharing your advice!

E

erykd1

Reaction score
We've been really happy with Apply Lab Works Dental Tan MSLA Resin - $70 per liter. Accurate, strong, & minimal mixing required. Works great on our Phrozen printers. Any mis-prints have been due to user error

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
We use Phrozens 4K Aqua resin. It’s on sale from Amazon for $31. Works great not too sure besides Phrozen where else you can find settings for other printers. As it doesn’t go in the mouth finding the settings is your only obstacle.

Attachments

• 74638E64-A6B2-4CE9-B0B9-AB0ADF8AEEE9.jpeg
    74638E64-A6B2-4CE9-B0B9-AB0ADF8AEEE9.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 79
  • F814C606-F4C3-4142-96E6-4C9B93066A91.jpeg
    F814C606-F4C3-4142-96E6-4C9B93066A91.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 79
  • DFFA0EE7-5E2C-4364-B71E-06806AEAD552.png
    DFFA0EE7-5E2C-4364-B71E-06806AEAD552.png
    367.3 KB · Views: 76
S

sirmorty

Reaction score
I would gather that most of these companies are just rebranding the resin .. same thing as zirconia.

For models I would just buy whatever you can use that won't mess up the support that you may need.
If you have any issues with the printer, They just blame the resin you are using as being not supported. And that's totally fair.

Do your homework before you buy a printer and base the purchase on the material that you want to print with.

You don't want to get trapped into buying $200- $300 bottles of resin just because that's the only resin your printer supports.

That's my advice.

As far as model resin. I have used Sprint Ray, Power Resin, Argen, Monocure. Akuretta.
I don't really notice a difference which is sad because like some of these are pretty expensive compared to others.
I'm sure you are just paying the "Dental" premium.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
We use Phrozens 4K Aqua resin. It’s on sale from Amazon for $31. Works great not too sure besides Phrozen where else you can find settings for other printers. As it doesn’t go in the mouth finding the settings is your only obstacle.
Blue is Nice! Good contrast.
Your scan? Which scanner?

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
t710.. I'm looking for a cheaper model resin, grey if possible..
Ackuretta printer..

M

Manikandan

Reaction score
Hi our lab has a SprintRay P 95 printer, is there any compatible resins we could try as the SprintRay resins are pricey. Thanks for your support.

Last edited:
T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
RE: the opening post- you definitely still have to stir dentamodel. All resins need to be stirred before use, if they don't mention it they just omitted that in the directions. Pigments settle out and leave you with resin with the wrong composition, and adding oxygen to the bath via stirring always gets better results. Stir everything before every print, pretty much.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
And re: resin selection- if you're using a cheaper LCD printer, I'm very fond of Siraya Tech products. Excellent support from the manufacturer, very well-developed products that are tailored to various individual applications, etc. Sculpt or Build are great for generic model-printing. Note that resins for SLA/DLP printing are a different composition, and are tailored to the much higher activation energies of commercial dental printers; ST doesn't do much on that end.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
How are you able to order it one bottle at a time from Amazon? They want me to select a reoccurring purchase of the Phrozen resin, without the option to buy it one time as needed (add to cart). I see where you can opt out of reoccurring shipments if you go into your Manage Subscription account and disable it. But it may ask for it again when I re-order?

edit: I figured it out, it asks for the reoccurring orders on my Amazon business account, but not for my personal account.

reacurring.jpg

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
How are you able to order it one bottle at a time from Amazon? They want me to select a reoccurring purchase of the Phrozen resin, without the option to buy it one time as needed (add to cart). I see where you can opt out of reoccurring shipments if you go into your Manage Subscription account and disable it. But it may ask for it again when I re-order?

edit: I figured it out, it asks for the reoccurring orders on my Amazon business account, but not for my personal account.

View attachment 43089
So you bought a printer?

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Crap, you gotta buy a printer??

No wonder this stuff doesn't harden in the tray.
:mad:

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
I like dental stone. Works pretty good.

T

Thibaut

Reaction score
Doing models mostly for composites I went the cheapest road. Elegoo mars 3 pro and elegoo standard resin grey. I find the body color too bright, details are hard to see.
So, 35€ the Liter. Non hollowed models directly on the magnetic plate, 6 half arch costs me less than 2€. Platform stays on the printer. Uses less alcohol.

I think 3D printers, scanners also and maybe even milling machines are pretty much at the end of their technical necessity for our work. Precision wise that is. The only evolutions you'll get are better software and features.

What'd be interesting is if anybody has tried experimenting with mixes. For example a bit grey in body will get you better contrast and a personal color that might intrigue a client. Personally I can't be bothered as I'm good with my stupid grey but saw some youtubers having fun.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
What'd be interesting is if anybody has tried experimenting with mixes. For example a bit grey in body will get you better contrast and a personal color that might intrigue a client. Personally I can't be bothered as I'm good with my stupid grey but saw some youtubers having fun.
I know Siraya Tech encourages blending their products to fine-tune your resin for whatever your application, and they produce a bunch of products largely intended for blending. For example, Tenacious is incredibly tough but is too soft for most applications and doesn't hold detail well, so most end-users blend it into other products, usually 10-20% by weight, to improve resistance to fall damage without sacrificing much in the way of detail. Sculpt Ultra can dramatically improve hardness and heat resistance in generic modelling resins with a similar proportion blended in. And they sell a CMYK pigment set for customizing resin colour, which can have some non-aesthetic applications- improving contrast/detail viewing is one, like you note, but I do know of another lab that pigmented their Keymodel Ivory into three cyan/magenta/yellow shades and assigned one shade to each of their three printers, to help track jobs, match dies to models, and for QC purposes.

If you're printing for a dental business, though, it's probably not worth your time blending products- a lot of this experimentation has turned into people developing commercial products, so you can probably reap that benefit with much less trouble by just buying a better product that has been iterated by actual end-users for a specific purpose, vs. just buying whatever's cheapest. You can generally get a much better product for, like, $10 more per liter, so you're not even saving very much in the bargain.