twinblock fabrication

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
okay, so i have this one doctor who knows i have never made a twinblock, but wants me to try anyway??? i'm always up for trying something new, so once the wire work is done, and they are properly mounted- how to i do the acrylic? any tips?

orthodent

orthodent

Reaction score
Do you have the basic idea? Its a very complicated appliance when it comes to the fabrication of the acrylic.

Start with the lower, and I suggest all the blocks are made using the doughy technique, makes it easier to form the shape and height. After applying the doughy and curing, trim the retainer as you notmally would and leave the blocks for the last step of the lower. The most important part is finding the right distal angle on the lower. If its not steep enough the patient won't be locked into protrusion and it will slip, if its too steep, then the patient won't engage efficiently. I suggest making the angles on a model trimmer, makes the angles identical to each other.

Once you finish the lower, wax the blocks and rub most of the wax off to give a very thin layer over the blocks, then make the upper off the lower. And thats it, very complicated appliance to try and explain in a nutshell in text.
Good Luck!!
Here is a link to a page with pictures.
Twin Block Pics

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
okay labdude. do i need to defend my mah jong addiction? ha ha...thanks for the link- maybe working on new & challenging appliances will keep me busy and off the acade!

J

JMurray

Reaction score
This is awsome!!!

I've been looking around on how to make a Twin Block for a while but have never found any kind of instructions. Not 2 days after I found this site one of my Drs told me she wants me to make a twin block.

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
murray- this is a great site...anything you are looking for just ask, if it is here someone will direct you to it, if it isn't here someone will post it!:D

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
I havent made one in awhile but I would seperate blocks with very thin aluminum. and if I remember correctly the angle is at 70 degrees?? could be wrong... I have a few books around here some place........

Last edited:
Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
just a suggestion but you could just send it out to another lab.. then analyse and take pics and notes when you get it back?

Top Bottom