Can denture be rebased/reset after processing? Bite off after delivery.

A

adritase

Reaction score
Pt came in for delivery, and upper denture didn't fit, pt wanted to keep her last molar, and lab never able to get fit right. As final lab clonned upper denture & sent for try in, but sent lower proceeded in acrylic. I almost grind all lower teeth, but what would be the point if the are fine just need to be moved lingually, the LL the LR are okay good. Pt can close fine, but LL teeth are too buccal, and hits cusp to cusp no cusp/fossa. Midline is off. I think they used lower teeth in the clone, and now makes the bite off.

I am so extremely exhausted w/ this denture.

I re-did the bite reg and sent back for processing, of both. I asked them no to touch upper and to re-set lower teeth. Probably should have asked them to re-set upper, but what if they mess up again.... and it doesn't fit at delivery.

It's frustrating because both upper/lower denture fit wonderful now... It just that the bite is off.

A

adritase

Reaction score
Also, no blaming the lab at all. Very difficult patient w/ demands. Freaking tooth that should had been ext... but has been there forever since her 1980's denture were made lol.

Cleo

Cleo

Reaction score
I would try it in after the teeth are reset in wax so you can recheck your work. If you are jumping straight to process on a difficult patient there is not a point in the process where you have checked the actual final set up in the mouth. Also on the clone front, i have a lot of doctors who want a denture "cloned". A real clone/duplicate with have the same vdo and worn out teeth. Most of the time when people want a clone they want a denture with new teeth that are not worn out. 2 very differnt things. If your are using the original denture to copy as a reference, the occlusion and set up should be checked before processing.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
If they fit fine, ask the lab to grind ALL of the teeth off and place wax occlusal rims on the base. Then you can set the VDO, mark the midline, high smile line, etc. After that is complete, send back to the lab for the teeth set in wax. Then return to you for wax try in. If everything is fine at try in, return for processing to the original acrylic base. If not, take a new bite for a reset. Get everything correct in wax BEFORE it’s processed!! If your patient is that difficult, it might take several resets to get it correct. If that winds up being the case, expect to pay for the resets. Don’t ask the lab to do it for nothing. It also helps to take pictures and send those to the lab so they can see what you and the patient see.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Does the patient still have the old set of dentures? If so and if they are happy with the bite even if its completely worn down then you will have a decision to make. Either slowly raise the bite so pt can get used to it, or use the old denture ,use reline material in old dentures to pour new models and use them for bite as well. Once new denture is made take the old dentures for a few weeks to "have them cleaned."
It's a real pain but you can actually remove the new teeth from new denture to reuse.

Last edited:
bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Also, no blaming the lab at all. Very difficult patient w/ demands. Freaking tooth that should had been ext... but has been there forever since her 1980's denture were made lol.
Sounds like you need a real denture tech. Someone who can tell you what needs to be done. Not gonna be easy and not gonna be cheap.