modified straumann solid abutment impressions

J

JSnyder85

Reaction score
Ok, so i have been told multiple answers reguarding this topic. When you get an impression over a straumann solid abutment that has been modified and they still use the transfer cap(white) without the positioning cap(color matching the abutment) what is the proper procedure in pouring it up? I was told to use a shoulder analog with a reinforcement pin but i cant find any info online or on the straumann website anywhere? Any info?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I tell my Dr.'s that if it has to be adjusted, then a solid abutment is not the right choice. Use a Synocta. I know that's not much help in this case. Sorry, I don't know a good way to deal with adjusted solid abutments. I'd be inclined to ask for a conventional impression, without using the transfers and see if a burnout coping will fit on the resulting die.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Ok, so i have been told multiple answers reguarding this topic. When you get an impression over a straumann solid abutment that has been modified and they still use the transfer cap(white) without the positioning cap(color matching the abutment) what is the proper procedure in pouring it up? I was told to use a shoulder analog with a reinforcement pin but i cant find any info online or on the straumann website anywhere? Any info?
By a "shoulder analog", do you mean the analog for a Synocta abutment?
If you use that type of analog in a transfer for a solid abutment, what keeps it straight? Wouldn't it move around like a ball in a socket?
Sorry, I'm trying to picture this in my head.

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
Yes, that can be troublesome if the dentist adjusts the solid abutment. I recommend to my clients to take the impression before they adjust. Dr. adjusts just out of occlusion and I make a reduction coping for him/her.
With the situation at hand there is a slight difference how this should be done depending on the implant diameter. If this is a Wide Neck implant then you would order catalog # 048.140 (shoulder analog). Snap in to impression coping and pour. In case of a RN diameter implant things get a little more complicated. You would need to order catalog # 048.117V4 (shoulder analog with reinforcement pin). Snap in the shoulder analog and drop the reinforcement pin with the pointy end first through the shoulder analog. Now, the pin will not go in all the way. There are markers on the pin toward the flat end of the pin. Note how many markers the pin sticks out of the shoulder analog. Take the pin out and look at the pointy end, there are markers as well. Cut off the number of markers from the pointy end you recorded when the pin was in the shoulder analog but did not go all the way down. The pin should now drop in to the shoulder analog with the flat end of the pin being flush with the shoulder analog.
Straumann literature would suggest you pour stone in to the shoulder analog without the pin in it. Once the shoulder analog is filled with stone you push the pin in. In reality the stone is too weak and will break. Instead of stone use GC pattern resin or Duralay to fill the shoulder analog and then pour the whole model in stone. Use a burnout coping if possible if this is for a PFM.