New to implants, what to charge

I

Iownmyjob

Reaction score
Hi-
My first post, I have been lurking for awhile. I have a new doc sending me implants. He provides abutment and analog. I will be making solid soft tissue models. He wants to do Emax monolithic. Typically I use a LT ingot with shade requested ingot, or one shade lighter. I'm a little concerned the color of the metal abutment will show through, but I think there will be enough thickness in the material to block out the color. These are posterior crowns. Also he is sending cases for temporary implants he was using radica, but I am going to be doing a layered acrylic temp. The acrylic will be bonded to the implant abutment and will have a hole in it for screw retained temp. What should I charge for these services. Keep in mind my normal charge is $139 for a emax monolithic. I'm planning on charging $35 for the soft tissue model. Are there any additional charges for the implants? I was thinking of doing $35 for the soft tissue model for the temp and $50 for the temp acrylic crown. He told me he usually pays $75-100 for a temp. Thanks

doug

doug

Reaction score
You need to charge him for handling the implant abutment. if you put a bur on it, you will own it if it's not right. Do not give away your skill.

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
As Doug already said, you need to charge for prepping the abutment. If you don't cut your model it will take more time to develop proximal contacts. So, charge more for your crown too.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Don't forget the custom tray and articulation fees.

Please don't tell me he's using a quad impression.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
We charge $39 to prep a Ti abutment and $20 for soft tissue model. LT ingots work just fine as long as there is about 1 mm of material thickness.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
I charge $67 dollars extra for any crown over an implant.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I dont like the idea of the Doctor providing the abutment, but you could turn them into e.max hybred abutments to fix your emergence profile and give you a tooth-prep color to seat thoes pretty crowns on.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I have stopped posting prices in open forum as I do not think its fair to guys that are just starting out in business. Like any of the products and services we do, it should be based on costs + profit margin. As others have stated it does take more time to do implant crowns properly.

Every little step has value, not charging for it is bad business. With that being said their are many labs that state they CAN DO IMPLANTS. Most of them have some idea but are not fully trained on these restorations. Know your value, educate yourself to become a resource rather than just a widget maker.

If you set your prices based on what others are charging then you are already starting off on the wrong foot. Most clients that send stock abutments and analogs are price shoppers and do not care or are not well versed on the trouble that stock abutments often cause.

Good luck to you, PM and specific questions you don't want posted in open forum.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
When you say "he gives you the abutment" what type of abutment are you getting? Is it a UCLA cast to style, a cement retained? If it's a UCLA stlye then you charge for wax, cast, and finish plus metal. If it's a cement retained then a prep fee would be added. Plus whatever else you've done to the model, like soft tissue etc.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
I dont like the idea of the Doctor providing the abutment, but you could turn them into e.max hybred abutments to fix your emergence profile and give you a tooth-prep color to seat thoes pretty crowns on.

What do you mean by e.max hybrid abutment? Are you talking waxing up the UCLA and then pressing onto the Ti interface? Does that work, or do you have to bond them together? I saw the Ivoclar presentaion last year in Chicago and one of the speakers was talking about this tecnique. I believe he said the ti interface needs to be at least 4mm tall for proper suport of the e.max, that true? It looked very interesting, but wasn't sure about the bonding of the e.max to ti. Are you doing straight abutments, or you making screw-retained e.max restorations.

keithw@vodamail.co.za

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hybrid abutment is a monolithic emax that is bonded to a stock titanium abutment, screw retained, you do need at least 4mm of abutment to facilitate bonding, works well, a good system methinks!

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
If you have to order parts tack on a additional 30%, at the other lab we charged 35.oo for soft tissue, 35.00 to prep and so on, implants are a lot of work and require to paid for properly. Plus the implant crown itself if more the your regular crown.

I

Iownmyjob

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses

He has sent me full arch impressions. I will be doing cement retained abutments. He sent stock abutments from implant direct in the impression. I will figure out how much time extra I have in these and charge accordingly. This doc is a high volume guy, he sent me three implants just the other afternoon. Does anyone have thoughts on the temporary? His usual lab does radica bonded to the abutment. With a hole in it for screw retained. I will be using tooth colored acrylic, and applying that to the abutment. Then i will probably drill a access hole with a bur. Any thoughts on a good technique for this?? Thanks!

M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
How nice of a temp is he wanting? For a space filler you could take a polycarb trim to fit over abutment, fill with acrylic, seat, let it cure than final shape and drill your hole. A little nicer would be to do a wax up make a putty matrix , fill matrix with acrylic,seat,cure then final shape and drill hole.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
He has sent me full arch impressions. I will be doing cement retained abutments. He sent stock abutments from implant direct in the impression. I will figure out how much time extra I have in these and charge accordingly. This doc is a high volume guy, he sent me three implants just the other afternoon. Does anyone have thoughts on the temporary? His usual lab does radica bonded to the abutment. With a hole in it for screw retained. I will be using tooth colored acrylic, and applying that to the abutment. Then i will probably drill a access hole with a bur. Any thoughts on a good technique for this?? Thanks!

I think you should consider a scanner.

I

Iownmyjob

Reaction score
How nice of a temp is he wanting? For a space filler you could take a polycarb trim to fit over abutment, fill with acrylic, seat, let it cure than final shape and drill your hole. A little nicer would be to do a wax up make a putty matrix , fill matrix with acrylic,seat,cure then final shape and drill hole.

I think I am going to do your second suggestion. Might take me some time... Thanks for the replies
-Cass

I

Iownmyjob

Reaction score
I ended up using a denture tooth and bonding to the abutment with tooth colored acrylic. A little tedious, but I think looks pretty good.

M

maxi

Reaction score
I ended up using a denture tooth and bonding to the abutment with tooth colored acrylic. A little tedious, but I think looks pretty good.
Exactly how I do it . Works well