You ever seen this?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I've seen a couple hexes on an internal connection snap off, and a handful of screws snap over the last 30+ years in the biz. Always due to occlusion, even instructed the hygienists/Docs to check implant crown occlusion when the patients come in for their recall/routine cleanings. What happens over time, is the vertical collapses, teeth get worn, pdl's collapse, etc... Now most of my clients get the hygiene on board, if a patient comes in for a cleaning and has implants, they check with some articulating paper and if high, adjust accordingly.

However, I've never seen this...I believe this was a conical connection - Straumann RC - snapped the screw and the abutment right in half. The rest of the screw is still deep in the implant, look closely. It's a case we did six years ago for the Dentist himself, his mouth. Told him to stop smarting off to his wife but he swears he was just eating a burrito.

14_.jpg 15_[1].jpg

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Winner
even instructed the hygienists/Docs to check implant crown occlusion when the patients come in for their recall/routine cleanings. What happens over time, is the vertical collapses, teeth get worn, pdl's collapse, etc... Now most of my clients get the hygiene on board, if a patient comes in for a cleaning and has implants, they check with some articulating paper and if high, adjust accordingly.
And just to add, one of the reasons I leave my lingual margins at tissue height on custom abutments, is to be able to use that as a reference point in keeping track of any possible tissue loss and to figure out why, as needed.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Winner

And just to add, one of the reasons I leave my lingual margins at tissue height on custom abutments, is to be able to use that as a reference point in keeping track of any possible tissue loss and to figure out why, as needed.
Very smart, never heard of that technique before, thanks for sharing.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I've seen a couple hexes on an internal connection snap off, and a handful of screws snap over the last 30+ years in the biz. Always due to occlusion, even instructed the hygienists/Docs to check implant crown occlusion when the patients come in for their recall/routine cleanings. What happens over time, is the vertical collapses, teeth get worn, pdl's collapse, etc... Now most of my clients get the hygiene on board, if a patient comes in for a cleaning and has implants, they check with some articulating paper and if high, adjust accordingly.

However, I've never seen this...I believe this was a conical connection - Straumann RC - snapped the screw and the abutment right in half. The rest of the screw is still deep in the implant, look closely. It's a case we did six years ago for the Dentist himself, his mouth. Told him to stop smarting off to his wife but he swears he was just eating a burrito.

View attachment 44551 View attachment 44552
there was a similar thing occurring with people with Biohorizons implants failing, there was a thread here...

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
I've seen it on a few BLRC's, we believe the screws were loose on both cases

G

grantoz

Reaction score
there was a similar thing occurring with people with Biohorizons implants failing, there was a thread here...

ive seen it a few times now with the 4.5 ti base where the hex shears off.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I just had the same with bioH a few months ago, snapped in half at the hex. Dr wanted me to get a new screw, I said, the hex is missing! Pt also broke about 4 other zr crowns we had done on him at the same time, asst said he started drinking again.. haha Id believe that over a burrito did it!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

View attachment 44551 View attachment 44552
i have a hard time wrapping my head around how that screw would shear off that far inside the fixture :oops:
there shouldnt be any lateral forces down there! the only thing i can think of is the wrong screw and when it bottomed out and was torqued more it created some horizontal stresses that lead to it shearing off when the abutment failed. that is a wild one for sure. retrieval will be oh so much fun!