Adding to PFM that has been in mouth

gacris

gacris

Reaction score
Hey guys. One of my accounts wants me to add to a PFM bridge that he seated temporarily. It’s been in the patient’s mouth for about a month. It’s been so long since I’ve had to do this that I don’t recall what I used to do prior to adding. I remember letting it sit in the furnace at idle temp for a while first? Ultrasonic with alcohol? Can someone refresh my memory?

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
That's about all you can do. 1 Month you'll probably be ok. But definitely still a risk there. If you can do the job only using the lower fusing add-on for your porcelain you'll reduce the risk of damaging the existing restoration.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Always a risk of bubbling/blowing up of porcelain but leave in oven at idle temp for a weekend, at least one full day....then cross your fingers, do your lucky dance and pray the PFM Gods love you that day!!! All you can do.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
What are you adding? A contact?
I would put up a fuss if the adjacent tooth was a 40 year old amalgam.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Hey guys. One of my accounts wants me to add to a PFM bridge that he seated temporarily. It’s been in the patient’s mouth for about a month. It’s been so long since I’ve had to do this that I don’t recall what I used to do prior to adding. I remember letting it sit in the furnace at idle temp for a while first? Ultrasonic with alcohol? Can someone refresh my memory?
One month should not be a problem. I'd probably put it in the ultrasound with peroxide, to kill of the bacterias...

gacris

gacris

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. I'm just going to cross my fingers and toes and hope for the best!

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
If I did the bridge I’ll add to it no problems because I record my ceramics recipes, but I’ll be hesitant to to add to someone’s else made fixed restorations, soak in the furnace and ultrasonic cleaning will do the trick

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
A month no problem.. Its when you get those ones that have been in the mouth for years that become headaches and the outcome is what the doc gets. No warranty implied or expressed. I still use LFC from years ago.