Straumann solid head abutment scanning help

T

twinrivers14

Reaction score
Does anybody have the golden secret on how to get a fcz to fit like its supposed to on a straumann solid head abutment. Everything we have tried they still fit the same with to much rotation.
Any suggestions would be nice.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Lower your cement spacer to almost zero, and I always scan an extra analog for a die rather than scan the abutment that's on the model. I find you get less accurate scans when using the "un-sectioned" scanning feature.

Z

ztech

Reaction score
I purchased an abutment in all sizes and scan them. the replica is "over-sized" a fair amount and this was causing fit problems during seating. The scan of the abutment and the spacer set as low as possible now make it possible to get an acceptable fit.

ter01475

ter01475

Reaction score
All of the above, but also lightly sand blast you analog rather than spray it. Straumann also has parameters for the solid abutments...ask for James Biron's list from tech support

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
degas one of their analogs and keep it for scan purposes, degas and lightly blast any ti abutment you are going to scan. be sure it is not shiny, nor black. reduce die spacer and blockout to 0. all else fails, create a V notch in the edge of the abutment and don't fill it in.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Duplicate the model and abutment and pour in stone. Then scan.
That's how I've been doing it. With great results...
Theres always a hit and miss fitting when spraying and scanning Ti and Zirc abutments.

T

twinrivers14

Reaction score
thanks folks done everything but duplication and we have done some that the doc has adjusted chairside and then he would impress and they seem to do fine. So the next few were gonna dup and see what happens

Principefly

Principefly

Reaction score
degas one of their analogs and keep it for scan purposes, degas and lightly blast any ti abutment you are going to scan. be sure it is not shiny, nor black. reduce die spacer and blockout to 0. all else fails, create a V notch in the edge of the abutment and don't fill it in.
I'm sorry but I can not understand one thing:
What do you mean with "degas"?
Place in the oven and make a heat degasification treatment?
But the solid abutments are not in aluminum?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
just give it a heat treatment

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
doesnt much matter. once it is heat treated it should help control the expansion and shrink of the metal to give you a tiny bit of size correction. makes the fits better. just my opinion.

give it 15 minutes in an idle temp. when it is cool enough to touch it is cool enough to scan and the resulting fit should be seamless.