Printing surgical guides

B

Beldent Inc.

Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering how you guys print your surgical guides, what printer-material- how you place the surgical guides on the platform for optimal printing?

We use the Formlab 3B, the design of the guide is okay, but the result of the print isn't the same.

They say to put the sleeve hole parallel to the platform to print them well so the sleeve fits...ok this works with a 1implant surgical guide, but I have a 5 implant case that the holes aren't parallel.....I've tried everything they tell me... still they never fit, one or two out of five fit.
Also, the 90degres where the sleeve is supposed to come sit, it's always round...never 90 degres as the stl.

Are you guys having these issues as well, any tricks?
I use the surgical guide and I wash for 20mins as they ask and cure 30 mins at 70, maybe it's too much so it contracts too much? You guy put the sleeves before?

I keep the supports and remove them after curing and put the sleeves at the end.

helpppppppp

surgical4.jpg surgical5.jpg

1711028018260.png

T

TKTECH97

Reaction score
We use the Asiga resin printers with VeriGuide material. But when nesting, we generally try to have the guide rotated upwards at a 45 degree angle with the occlusal side facing towards the plate. We've been printing guides like that for awhile and it seems to be working out if thats something you wanna try to combat the sleeve issue

B

Beldent Inc.

Reaction score
We use the Asiga resin printers with VeriGuide material. But when nesting, we generally try to have the guide rotated upwards at a 45 degree angle with the occlusal side facing towards the plate. We've been printing guides like that for awhile and it seems to be working out if thats something you wanna try to combat the sleeve issue
Hello,
I will try next time!! You put the sleeves after curing?

T

TKTECH97

Reaction score
Yep! We cure them the same as you described after an alcohol wash for 20min

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Yep! We cure them the same as you described after an alcohol wash for 20min
Pretty sure that's way too long a wash cycle, you shouldn't need to do more than, idk, 6-7 minutes total for almost any resin. Some appliances like nightguards aren't considered properly manufactured if you exceed the wash times specified.
I would also strongly recommend a two- or even three-bath process, the initial 'dirty' wash leaves way too much resin residue on your parts. I do 4 minutes' dirty wash, 3 minutes clean wash (flipping the appliances over between baths),and then I douse everything in the wash basket with clean, fresh IPA from a lab irrigation bottle. The final clean wash removes any residual resin in the 'clean' wash, there's always some and it leaves your prints looking unwashed/feeling tacky afterwards.

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
I print with the same printer and resin and I've been printing completely vertical, been working nicely and I can print a lot at one time.

B

Beldent Inc.

Reaction score
Pretty sure that's way too long a wash cycle, you shouldn't need to do more than, idk, 6-7 minutes total for almost any resin. Some appliances like nightguards aren't considered properly manufactured if you exceed the wash times specified.
I would also strongly recommend a two- or even three-bath process, the initial 'dirty' wash leaves way too much resin residue on your parts. I do 4 minutes' dirty wash, 3 minutes clean wash (flipping the appliances over between baths),and then I douse everything in the wash basket with clean, fresh IPA from a lab irrigation bottle. The final clean wash removes any residual resin in the 'clean' wash, there's always some and it leaves your prints looking unwashed/feeling tacky afterwards.
We have a Biocompatible wash and a regular one.
So I do wash my guide with clean alcohol and then put it in the wash.

B

Beldent Inc.

Reaction score
I print with the same printer and resin and I've been printing completely vertical, been working nicely and I can print a lot at one time.
Could you post a screenshot of the guide placed? That would be nice :)
Maybe the issue it's my printer too XD I'll try the vertical way

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
Could you post a screenshot of the guide placed? That would be nice :)
Maybe the issue it's my printer too XD I'll try the vertical way
I'm an in house lab and our docs use megagen which is a sleeveless system, I unfortunately don't have any pics of the guides seated in the mouth either but we do a lot of implants and the docs never complain.

Depending on your software and printer sometimes you need go mess with your offset, it can be printer dependant. If it were me I'd print the same guide with multiple offsets to see where your sweet spot is.

Maybe your calibration is off? The guide looks pretty distorted to me in your second picture. Are you using a curing unit that has your resin validated on it?

B

Beldent Inc.

Reaction score
I'm an in house lab and our docs use megagen which is a sleeveless system, I unfortunately don't have any pics of the guides seated in the mouth either but we do a lot of implants and the docs never complain.

Depending on your software and printer sometimes you need go mess with your offset, it can be printer dependant. If it were me I'd print the same guide with multiple offsets to see where your sweet spot is.

Maybe your calibration is off? The guide looks pretty distorted to me in your second picture. Are you using a curing unit that has your resin validated on it?
Hello,
Yeah everything is validated it's all from the same compagny. The offset I added is perfect on 2 but then the other ones aren't. We were thinking on just setting an even higher one so the tight ones would be ok and the other ones a bit loose. We'll see! :) Thank's for your answers

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
Hello,
Yeah everything is validated it's all from the same compagny. The offset I added is perfect on 2 but then the other ones aren't. We were thinking on just setting an even higher one so the tight ones would be ok and the other ones a bit loose. We'll see! :) Thank's for your answers
That's weird that some were off but not others on the same guide, I'm assuming they use the same sized sleeve? If they're all supposed to be the same geometry and some are coming out distorted it's probably a printer calibration issue or a nesting issue. I usually print my guides completely vertical and they come out great.

B

Beldent Inc.

Reaction score
That's weird that some were off but not others on the same guide, I'm assuming they use the same sized sleeve? If they're all supposed to be the same geometry and some are coming out distorted it's probably a printer calibration issue or a nesting issue. I usually print my guides completely vertical and they come out great.
yeah that's what I'm gonna try next time..... the support team tells me it's supposed to be parallel to the platform....but yeah if you have 1 or 2 it's easy....with 5 good luck XD . I'll try vertical ^^