Surgical Guide with no cone beam scan?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I just recently designed and printed my first two surgical guides from a cone beam scan. I have another doctor that wants a surgical guide, but they don't have a cone beam scanner. The doctor is going to call me later so I can get more info on what he is expecting me to fabricate. How do you make a surgical guide without a cone beam scan? Will I just scan in the model, design a tooth where the implant will go, and then print off guide without the drill sleeves?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
If there is tons of bone you will probably be fine, the second there isn't quality bone the guide is useless. The guide is to guide it into good bone and put the restorative platform in the right spot.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Pretty much. Basically you're providing a punch guide for a hole. Every Implant deserves a guide. I Think that needs to change to Every Implant deserves a CT Designed Guide.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Honestly a Dr shouldn't be placing implants without a cone beam IMO.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Pretty much. Basically you're providing a punch guide for a hole. Every Implant deserves a guide. I Think that needs to change to Every Implant deserves a CT Designed Guide.
I think we are getting there :) Ten more years probably