Dental lab fees for 3-D models

A

Avi76

Reaction score
What are labs charging to print 3-D models for Quadrants and full arches.

K

Kiper Lee

Reaction score
Only print models? There are some labs willing to free print models if you also have them mill the crown.

doug

doug

Reaction score
When we make a crown the models are part of the total fee. When we do a digital wax-up or just print the model for the doc to have for a consult they are $30

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
When we make a crown the models are part of the total fee. When we do a digital wax-up or just print the model for the doc to have for a consult they are $30
Ditto!!!

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
The question comes to mind,
How much do you charge for a single unit if the 3D models are included?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Look at what it costs to outsource the models to Whip Mix, Argen or any other of the outsource centers. But, you also have to add your time it takes to model build it and the cost of the software and equipment. Plus the time for the diagnostic wax up,

Argen charges $19 per arch. So, after including everything mentioned above, the $30 mentioned here:
they are $30
Sounds about right.

doug

doug

Reaction score
That's my fee($30) for each model. The wax-up is an additional fee, and it's not cheap. We do send an Exocad dentalshare file that the doc can use to show the patient. Sold a lot of work with that feature.

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
We charge a flat rate .... Digital Model $20 each ..... quadrant or full arch..... we want to inspire the user to provide more arch data. If we have to get a milled iTero model, same fee, our cost is also covered. NOBODY has ever complained. Seems to be a fair balance.

M

Markyboy

Reaction score
Ok what about all the Canadian labs out there.
Argen charging 19/quadrant + 5/die + 25 shipping = 68$/model !!!!
Ok I am saving on pickup costs and making a model out of stone but... WOW
I cant imagine charging $60/case extra but I dont want to lose money either.

What are others charging, more than the cost, or take a loss on the models.
Maybe dont charge for shipping as most of my zircs come from argen anyway so maybe
I wont get dinged every time for shipping.

New Dr dont want to lose him but dont want to get screwed either.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Taking a loss in business as a financial strategy ensures you will become a Fortune $5 Company.

Combined shipping is a strategy that ensured eBay buyers purchased from a seller.

How did this "New Doctor" get to you. If he mentioned being overcharged a lot from his old lab (cheep ass),what are you really loosing? If so, it certainly won't be money. He's made that clear.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Ok what about all the Canadian labs out there.
Argen charging 19/quadrant + 5/die + 25 shipping = 68$/model !!!!
Ok I am saving on pickup costs and making a model out of stone but... WOW
I cant imagine charging $60/case extra but I dont want to lose money either.

What are others charging, more than the cost, or take a loss on the models.
Maybe dont charge for shipping as most of my zircs come from argen anyway so maybe
I wont get dinged every time for shipping.

New Dr dont want to lose him but dont want to get screwed either.
Canada or not, you need to charge for 3D models. In order to print models, you invested in a printer, didn't you? And resin/trays are not cheap either. Are you charging for your stone models? And if so, how much? Start there.

But, I'd go by what outsource centers charge you, be it Argen or others (they are all roughly the same). But remember, this is only for printing, you still have to design it, which realistically you have to calculate into your costs, too. Obviously you can skip Argen's shipping charge.

So, Argen charged me US$19.- per full arch (Plus extra dies and printed soft tissue, for implant models). I definitely would don't charge less than that per model.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Canada or not, you need to charge for 3D models. In order to print models, you invested in a printer, didn't you? And resin/trays are not cheap either. Are you charging for your stone models? And if so, how much? Start there.

But, I'd go by what outsource centers charge you, be it Argen or others (they are all roughly the same). But remember, this is only for printing, you still have to design it, which realistically you have to calculate into your costs, too. Obviously you can skip Argen's shipping charge.

So, Argen charged me US$19.- per full arch (Plus extra dies and printed soft tissue, for implant models). I definitely would don't charge less than that per model.
That's what I always thought. Why go and spend thousands of dollars on printers, resins, consumables. Plus any design software, subscriptions, cloud access service, To do something we were already doing with a $50 box of stone and a bowl, to turn around and now worry about squeezing $30 out of a doctor for printed casts. Is 15 too cheap is 35 too much? They're the ones that wanted to go down this route. I said it before and I'll say it again, the cheap way was the analog way. You want to be fancy, now it's time to spend the bucks. Clients don't want to spend, they can go back to the old way. It's not a debatable issue.
Figure out the cost + profit, and bill it. If somebody else wants to work for less money, they are invited to do so. It'll balance itself out when they flunk. There will always be some dumba55 that would spend all that money, and try to print models for $3 thinking that eventually he will get all this supposed business. Is that the guy we're going to compete with??? I've seen those types before. Be bankrupt in 18 months.

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Couldnt have said it better myself bigj.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Just a side note to charging for printing 3D models. My fee for poured models went up at the same time as I integrated 3D. Why would I not try to be consistent in my pricing? as the joke goes: "Thirty bucks is thirty bucks."

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
No Charge unless we do JUST models. Then its $30/case. The model charge is built into the crown fee of $99.

Labor:
Case Entry - $1.50
Model Design - 4.00
Crown Design- 4.00
Nesting/Milling- 3.50
De-Puck/Sinter- 3.50
Finish/S+G - 8.00
Billing - $1.50
Delivery - $3.00
Overhead - $1.25

Materials:
Model Resin- 4.25
ZR Preshaded/ML - 4.00
Finishing - 1.00
S+G - 3.00
Crown Box - .50

Total= $43.00 ( 56.6% Profit)

Know your numbers, your costs and your margins. Then you can make an informed decision on what to charge and where your prices should be.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
No Charge unless we do JUST models. Then its $30/case. The model charge is built into the crown fee of $99.

Labor:
Case Entry - $1.50
Model Design - 4.00
Crown Design- 4.00
Nesting/Milling- 3.50
De-Puck/Sinter- 3.50
Finish/S+G - 8.00
Billing - $1.50
Delivery - $3.00
Overhead - $1.25

Materials:
Model Resin- 4.25
ZR Preshaded/ML - 4.00
Finishing - 1.00
S+G - 3.00
Crown Box - .50

Know your numbers, your costs and your margins. Then you can make an informed decision on what to charge and where your prices should be.
I don't think that'll buy a carton of cigarettes anymore. No offense. But at least your attention to numbers is excellent. Now if you would boost your sale price to 75% profit.....

Last edited:
Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
I couldn't charge that as a 1 man show and im at +/- 60%, not charging for models, whereas the competition charges 30...
and im definitely not charging 99 a crown.

so, my question would be "where is your competitions pricing at comparatively?" and "how does your quality compare?"
these are more important questions to me than anything

Labor:
Case Entry - $1.50
Model Design - 4.00
Crown Design- 4.00
Nesting/Milling- 3.50
De-Puck/Sinter- 3.50
Finish/S+G - 8.00
Billing - $1.50
Delivery - $3.00
Overhead - $1.25

Materials:
Model Resin- 4.25
ZR Preshaded/ML - 4.00
Finishing - 1.00
S+G - 3.00
Crown Box - .50

and if all "I" get is $8 fk dollars to contour, stain and glaze a crown...
then I quit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom