Blow Ups!!!

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
Then I would recomend putting the rings in a cooler oven and let them rest for a bit before bringing them up to temp.
Preheat to 1550 or whatever and then when you put your rings in, leave the door open for a few minutes before you close it and let em bake for an hour

Been using HS for over 15 years and that is the strangest idea I've ever heard of. But hey who knows maybe it works.
Back to the thread.I to have had this awful experience. And I agree with the other posts scrape, let rest 1-2 minutes after removing ring former prior to putting in 1565ish oven. But here is my extra idea always make sure the edge of the ring is lifted slightly on one side so when the wax melts and expands there is NO pressure build up internally. I believe this is the most important part. I got a new burn-out tray for my oven once and there were no channels in it for the wax to go where the wax melted it sealed the edge at the bottom causing internal pressure buildup and POP.
I have spoken with Terry McQuistonat Jensen tech support about this very thing.

I have not had a ring pop in nearly a year.
Scape
Wait
Lift edge

No more pop!

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I've actually cut a bunch of disposable plunger into a bunch of ingot sized pieces so the rings can tilt back a little more to ensure all the resin and wax burns out. Terry even tol me to lay them down on their sides. Haven't tried that yet though.

R

Rick Sonntag

Reaction score
_MG_9907.jpg

Been there. I attributed it to user error...until I remembered I was the user ; ) I think mine went into the back of the furnace a little to early and since then I've been giving everything an extra 5 minutes set time.
_MG_9907.jpg

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
It's tough to figure out. I couldn't. Used it for about 10 years with zero issues and then they just started popping. I didn't change anything from norm and started trying all these extra steps I had never had to do before. Still popped occasionally. Switched investments and never had another issue. Odd..

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
View attachment 2862

Been there. I attributed it to user error...until I remembered I was the user ; ) I think mine went into the back of the furnace a little to early and since then I've been giving everything an extra 5 minutes set time.

Wow...that's weird looking. I've never seen one do anything like that. I've just had them blow tops off in the burnout furnace, they haven't even made it to the press yet.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
I've actually cut a bunch of disposable plunger into a bunch of ingot sized pieces so the rings can tilt back a little more to ensure all the resin and wax burns out. Terry even tol me to lay them down on their sides. Haven't tried that yet though.
I would NOT do that. Material will not all flow out. ie...gravity. The material will boil inside and cause major roughness IMO

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I would NOT do that. Material will not all flow out. ie...gravity. The material will boil inside and cause major roughness IMO

I've actually talked to Terry from Jensen. He told me to put them in the oven with the hole facing up. I'm using resin from my 3D Systems printer. It burns out differently than wax. It will actually act like a torch once the material has melted and catches on fire. Sounds crazy. It melts around 500 degrees F and actually burns out at that temp after only 30 mins. I put the ring in there and burned it out at 500f for 30 mins and let it cool. After that I cut it open with a disk and noticed it burned out!! :confused: It acts like one of those snake fireworks we used to play with as kids. Almost like it puffs up and turns black, then it catches fire and burns out. There will be nothing in the ring if you lay them on their side or with the hole facing up. Hard for any kind of material to still be inside the ring after burning out for an hour at 1600F. Just going by some of my tests here.

Macron Dental Lab

Macron Dental Lab

Reaction score
I've actually talked to Terry from Jensen. He told me to put them in the oven with the hole facing up. I'm using resin from my 3D Systems printer. It burns out differently than wax. It will actually act like a torch once the material has melted and catches on fire. Sounds crazy. It melts around 500 degrees F and actually burns out at that temp after only 30 mins. I put the ring in there and burned it out at 500f for 30 mins and let it cool. After that I cut it open with a disk and noticed it burned out!! :confused: It acts like one of those snake fireworks we used to play with as kids. Almost like it puffs up and turns black, then it catches fire and burns out. There will be nothing in the ring if you lay them on their side or with the hole facing up. Hard for any kind of material to still be inside the ring after burning out for an hour at 1600F. Just going by some of my tests here.

Try this, let it seat for 30-40 min ,pre heat furnace open the furnace let the temp drop to 1250-F put the ring inside the furnace and no more BOOM.... it works for more the 10 years for me .

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
I am totally amazed at all of the solutions we have come up with. I guess that is why we are called Dental LABORATORIES.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Yeah, we've actually gone away from the Bull Pin oven system. I found out today what has been going on!! They read the directions out of the box from Microstar, but didn't read the italic print. If you're using a silicone ring former, then bench set it for 18 mins then bust them out and let them sit for an additional 2 mins. I assumed they were doing that, but I was wrong. They were bench setting them inside the ring former for 20 mins and going straight to the oven. Not letting the gasses and moisture escape like they need to. Problem solved! Geez. Just follow directions right?!

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Hmmmm.... Let me know how it does kent. We did the same and still had occasional pops

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Yeah, we've actually gone away from the Bull Pin oven system. I found out today what has been going on!! They read the directions out of the box from Microstar, but didn't read the italic print. If you're using a silicone ring former, then bench set it for 18 mins then bust them out and let them sit for an additional 2 mins. I assumed they were doing that, but I was wrong. They were bench setting them inside the ring former for 20 mins and going straight to the oven. Not letting the gasses and moisture escape like they need to. Problem solved! Geez. Just follow directions right?!

Like I said too much moisture remaining in the ring when placed in the hot oven,,,,,Hmmmmmmmmmm

Scotts studio

Scotts studio

Reaction score
Great stuff guys !! thanks for sharing,I use microstar and never had any trouble, by the sounds of things I can expect tops to pop any day now.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I found out today what has been going on!! I assumed they were doing that, but I was wrong.!

You know what happens when you assume! Sounds like too much time on DLN.:biggrin1:
Get a handle on these clowns.

Hary

Hary

Reaction score
I have had this problem before with other investment. Longer bench set at least another 10 minutes and out of the ring former like others said always scratch the surface of your investment before intering them in the oven.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
Been using HS for over 15 years and that is the strangest idea I've ever heard of. But hey who knows maybe it works.
Back to the thread.I to have had this awful experience. And I agree with the other posts scrape, let rest 1-2 minutes after removing ring former prior to putting in 1565ish oven. But here is my extra idea always make sure the edge of the ring is lifted slightly on one side so when the wax melts and expands there is NO pressure build up internally. I believe this is the most important part. I got a new burn-out tray for my oven once and there were no channels in it for the wax to go where the wax melted it sealed the edge at the bottom causing internal pressure buildup and POP.
I have spoken with Terry McQuistonat Jensen tech support about this very thing.

I have not had a ring pop in nearly a year.
Scape
Wait
Lift edge

No more pop!

Here it goes again, I opened a new box of HS and ran a couple of pfm rings, all ok until i did some gold crowns.
BOOM ihad 3 rings pop last night. I hate remakeing stuff. I followed all HS rules,
20min for 200 gram take out of silicone ring scrape let air sit for 2-3mins
put in 1565 oven with one edge lifted so no internal pressure will build up.
im calling Terry Mcquiston today and requesting a fresh box of HS.
any additional thoughts would be great.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
That's the main reason I quit using microstar, inconsistency.
I swithed to GC fuji vest and have had no problems since.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
think i will order a box. at least i will have additional options.
thanks

Top Bottom