The adventures of impossible man in antique dentistry land

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Toni Toscano:
We are having an issue. The doctor and the lab both work side by side. For personal reasons for Dr this is a pro bono case. Pt is incoherent and is a poor choice for what the pt family wants. Long story short after relines and just short of securing it with implants (against family wishes) this upper with barely a ridge is not keeping the retention and falls out. As far as we know they have tried glue. The idea of using suction cup bur on the model before process has been talked about but not yet tried. Another idea brought to the table is pretty antique. Spring loaded dentures? I only just learn of theyre existence. I'm wondering about info on the those and if its still possible to use this technique as well as any other ideas you can come up with. Its such a hard situation.. Its one of those you tell the family the square block will not fit in the circle whole and they say well it needs to so make it happen

So in the chair btw everything fits. Dr is please in all aspects but once pt is back in the home with a relaxed jaw is when the denture falls. The family is saying he is loosing weight because of this. However I would be amazed if he was able to regain motor skills and eat normally with a full set of natural teeth. I totally get it. They want to save their family member. Its so sad. Dr is frustrated because of wasted man hours and materials. Lab is frustrated because the case becomes priority and average cases are halted. So even if you don't have a suggestion on how to fix the actual problem of getting the denture to stay in I am curious what the appropriate response is to this. Tell the family its just not gonna work? (😢) or just keep doing it over and over (with economy teeth at least) to appease them..

I'm open to suggestions
Pt incoherent, can't keep denture in and best case scenario dentures take a lot of getting used to. I've been to courses where dentists talk about issues like this, and it would seem there may come a time when the dentures are more for show at the holidays for family , and the pt needs to transition to blender food. Of course that's between the pt and his doctor.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Magnet dentures used to be a thing. I dont know if the neodynium ones are approvedfor intraoral use, but professional body modifiers (yeah, that's a real job title) have been putting them in ppl for years to add a sense of magnatatism/magnetic fields.

So magnet dentures: put north to north with a magnet behind the molars. Pushes the away from each other.
If the VDO is too large they will loose the negative magnet field and denture will fall off.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Pt incoherent, can't keep denture in and best case scenario dentures take a lot of getting used to. I've been to courses where dentists talk about issues like this, and it would seem there may come a time when the dentures are more for show at the holidays for family , and the pt needs to transition to blender food. Of course that's between the pt and his doctor.
Have you tried to create a palatal suction ?
Create a food seal in the palate area and grind slightly the inner side to create a void assuming the upper denture has a full palate.

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
Why not use his existing implants? Put locator abutments in or if the angle is poor for that go with a bar on multi-unit abutments (locator, hader, or my personal favorite dolder bar). The clips are processed in the denture to engage the bar.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
They’ve prolly got it figured out in the 3 1/2 years since the question was posed.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
They’ve prolly got it figured out in the 3 1/2 years since the question was posed.
Elderly patient... 3 1/2 years later cant eat well has probably figured itself out....

Top Bottom