Non- or Limited-Thermodynamic 3D Printed Nightguard Resin?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Howdy,
We currently use Keysplint Soft resin for our nightguards. We recently got a request for a printed nightguard that has a limited thermoplasticity, because some patients were complaining about their nightguards gradually deforming from with regular use at body temperature, requiring periodic re-shaping in hot water. I guess the issue is that the guards gradually stop fitting with regular use, where they are just rinsed with tap-hot water before insertion, and the patients end up finding them uncomfortable, or come in to get them trimmed in the deformed state, which means they stop working correctly once re-set in hot water post-trimming.

I haven't printed with any nightguard resins aside from this, would switching to a hard resin solve this? Or, ideally, is there a nice in-between with a resin that's still somewhat thermodynamic in hot water, is still somewhat soft, but that holds its shape without requiring periodic re-setting?

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
We offer both Keystone resins for our splints. Some clients like the Keystone soft and other like a traditional hard splint type.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
We've never used Keystone Hard but I assumed it worked similarly to traditional materials. Maybe we'll pick a bottle up.

Not that I'd go and use this for someone else's appliance, but I wonder how a blend of Soft and Hard would behave. I mix resins to tune the mechanical properties of a finished part frequently in hobby printing, so I'd assume you'd end up somewhere in the middle...