Blow Ups!!!

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Has anyone else had this problem at all? Just curious. Hasn't been happening until lately. Just wondering if I got a bad batch of Microstar HS. Been doing everything perfectly by the book. This makesme scratch my bald spot. Things like this is why I have a bald spot!!

ai1258.photobucket.com_albums_ii539_KentPWalton_photo4.jpg

ai1258.photobucket.com_albums_ii539_KentPWalton_photo3.jpg
ai1258.photobucket.com_albums_ii539_KentPWalton_photo4.jpg ai1258.photobucket.com_albums_ii539_KentPWalton_photo3.jpg

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I've seen that happen if you don't give the ring three min after ring removal to let moisture release from the ring.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Is that for press or cast?
If thats for casting, my guess is you have too much investment on top of your wax. You only want to fill it up like half an inch above your waxups.
Otherwise, this is exactly what will happen from my experience. In fact if this ring was for casting, im 100% sure this is your problem.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Ditto ps2thtec. Scrape the end of the ring, let bench set 2-3 minutes per MS to let steam escape.

cheadlemick

cheadlemick

Reaction score
Seen this before its **** investment get some GC multipressvest.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Is that for press or cast?
If thats for casting, my guess is you have too much investment on top of your wax. You only want to fill it up like half an inch above your waxups.
Otherwise, this is exactly what will happen from my experience. In fact if this ring was for casting, im 100% sure this is your problem.

This is for pressing Emax CAD LT. We use resin prints for the waxups. Haven't had a problem with them at all really. It's just been happening for the past two weeks maybe. Total of about 5 rings that have blown up.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I've seen that happen if you don't give the ring three min after ring removal to let moisture release from the ring.

Yes. 200g ring. 18 mins set up time in the ring former and 2 mins bench set.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
we've had some blow ups recently too, however it did not seem to affect the pressing cause they came out fine.

pressing same investment microstar hs, emax, pressing in ep3000

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Then I would recomend putting the rings in a cooler oven and let them rest for a bit before bringing them up to temp.
Preheat to 1550 or whatever and then when you put your rings in, leave the door open for a few minutes before you close it and let em bake for an hour

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Well, make that 6 in the past two weeks...yet another one today. I think it has to do with bench set times. Not allowing the gasses and moisture to escape like they're supposed to. I haven't been watching the investing person very closely. Guess I'm going to have to do that too.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I quit using Microstar a little over a year ago for that exact reason. Just started happening one day and continued intermittently until I just had to quit using it. I had used it for years up until then. The only thing that changed, to my knowledge, was I couldn't get it through Zahn anymore. Go figure?

cheadlemick

cheadlemick

Reaction score
Lets be honest here shock heat investment shouldnt just blow up like that! Kent do you think its a rogue batch a few years ago i was pressing Authentic using their investment every thing was fine tried a different investment went back to Microstar and three rings blew up in succession!

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Oh, you may also want to check if you have a bunch of crystals floating in your investing liquid (flip it upside down to be sure). It may have frozen in transit to you. Also, make sure they only used distilled water. We use a timer on every single one and never deviate. 17 minutes set/ 2 min out of ring before going into pre-heated burnout.

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
Doesnt look like the end of your ring was scraped. Lots of bubbles on the surface too. Not investing with vacuum??? Are you using wax or plastic sprues? I can see in your pic what looks like the margin outline of maybe a bicuspid. If this is a press, how did the pattern get so close to the top of the ring???

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Doesnt look like the end of your ring was scraped. Lots of bubbles on the surface too. Not investing with vacuum??? Are you using wax or plastic sprues? I can see in your pic what looks like the margin outline of maybe a bicuspid. If this is a press, how did the pattern get so close to the top of the ring???

I did scrape the bottom of the ring. Yes, there were bubbles in the investment, but only at the top of the ring former where the cap goes. Yes, investing with a vacuum. Wax sprues 8 gauge. That is actually the other side of the ring. It goes down a lot more than this side you can see in the picture. We use the ivoclar ring-less ring formers.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Too much moisture in the ring when placd in the burnout oven. Wet trimming the top? or handling with wet hands just before placing in oven.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
No. Water reseals the ring. There is no water around the rings when handling them.

I think I'm just gonna say screw it!! I'm gonna start burning them out overnight!

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Call Terry @ Jensen. At the very least they should replace product if they can't advise you how to fix it.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Yeah. I talked to Terry about investing three or four weeks ago, but this problem wasn't happening then. Bob called me two days ago after a coworker called Jensen and I haven't gotten around to calling him back. Looks like I need to make a call tomorrow.

LGTCDT

LGTCDT

Reaction score
We switched to Ivoclar SpeedVest and this problem went away.

Top Bottom