Wet Milling

Mona Lobsey

Mona Lobsey

Reaction score
I tried the wet milling for the first time and I had rust around the holders! Is that normal? What's going on ?!? I asked my supplier and he doesn't know either! I wonder who gives a good support for the Imes Icore 450i machine as i will definitely change my supplier after the one year warranty is finished!
Rusty holders!.jpg

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Are you sure it's rust instead of left over oil?

Mona Lobsey

Mona Lobsey

Reaction score
It looks like rust! We only used baby oil mixed with distilled water. I don't think this is oil!

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Baby oil? Who told you to use baby oil?

Mona Lobsey

Mona Lobsey

Reaction score
Baby oil? Who told you to use baby oil?
The supplier. He told us that this is what Imes Icore recommends! I didn't argue as i thought he knows what he is talking about :(

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
ridiculous.

first, what are you cutting? material greatly influences the kind of cutting fluid you require.

never, ever, EVER use water. the fluid you use for cutting cocr or titanium will be a milky colour or almond colour depending who you use.

Mona Lobsey

Mona Lobsey

Reaction score
ridiculous.

first, what are you cutting? material greatly influences the kind of cutting fluid you require.

never, ever, EVER use water. the fluid you use for cutting cocr or titanium will be a milky colour or almond colour depending who you use.
Vita Hybrid Blocks. I should not use water?!!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i've never milled those, Glen would know

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
after brief googling it appears vita's blocks are dry-millable.

but again, never milled them, not sure.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
We have a 450i and we don't have one spot of rust. We mix 1 gallon of distiller water with 100ml of oil. It needs to be 90% distiller water 10% oil. We use the Imes Icore oil directly from them it comes in a big blue gallon size jug.

I don't know who your distributor is but I would never put baby oil in my 80 thousand dollar mill, it is not the same type of oil.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Just a thought...food processing equipment are lubricated with baby oil BTW...food grade mineral oil...
Oil alone will not cause rusting...something else is the culprit for sure...
There's a plethora of cutting fluids available for all types of materials/tools out there...

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
the white stuff around the burs look like the lube - i don't think it was the lube. Something else made it end up like that. Did you possibly leave the mill wet over the weekend?

Mona Lobsey

Mona Lobsey

Reaction score
After i called the supplier to tell him about the rust he advised me to mix a cooling liquid from Imes Icore with the water..
We have a 450i and we don't have one spot of rust. We mix 1 gallon of distiller water with 100ml of oil. It needs to be 90% distiller water 10% oil. We use the Imes Icore oil directly from them it comes in a big blue gallon size jug.

I don't know who your distributor is but I would never put baby oil in my 80 thousand dollar mill, it is not the same type of oil.
My fault. I should do a research after everything my distributer tells me but they have the same machine and they didn't tell me they are facing the same problem "but less!" till i have the problem myself! I think i had to contact Imes Icore directly as i couldn't find these information on the web. They told me later on that i have to mix everything with a cooling water that came with the machine! But i don't think that is the problem!

Mona Lobsey

Mona Lobsey

Reaction score
after brief googling it appears vita's blocks are dry-millable.

but again, never milled them, not sure.
I googled that and all i found that they mill those blocks in Cerec and they fill its tank with water.

Mona Lobsey

Mona Lobsey

Reaction score
the white stuff around the burs look like the lube - i don't think it was the lube. Something else made it end up like that. Did you possibly leave the mill wet over the weekend?
My technician did the cleaning after the milling.. He said he did dry it but even if he didn't do it properly i don't think it should rust easily..

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Another thought... it looks like different alloys mixed there...could be a galvanic reaction too....dunno. ..

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I would also suggest putting tools in the empty spots to keep the holes clean! Don't want dust and lubrication getting down in there.

Mona Lobsey

Mona Lobsey

Reaction score
I contacted Imes Icore and here is their reply: :oops:

"first of all please don't use baby oil! You need a cooling liquid with integrated anti-rust protection. We sell this liquid.
You need to change the springs and seegerrings on the tool holders which are infested with rust!"

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
aha so your guy who said use baby oil was lying.

Top Bottom