Very difficult shade

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Yeah great effort.

shame you didnt get to see the patient for a try in appointment. You could have dialled these in real nice then.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Thanks again and Al thanks for taking time to help mere mortals such as myself:)

You think way to highly of me. We're no different.

I bought a nice camera 3 going on 4 years ago.

I made an announcement some where on these forums that I was going to set aside 2 of my cases each week and attempt to make them show peices.
I would photograph them and study them and try to improve on it next week.

2 cases a week singles and mutiple units X 52 weeks a year is ALOT of units over 3 years.

The quality of your work and photo skills will improve so much and so fast it will suprise you.
Also you will build up one heck of a portfolio to use for marketing. And youll create a library of cases to draw from when similar cases come up.

My stuff has improved just like yours is but Im still a long shot from the Oral Design guys.

I still try to make 1 or 2 cases a week into show cases. Sometimes they come out nice but often not.

This is the one from last week. I probably took 30 pics of it, it came out nice but no better than what you or anybody else can do.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_st_st8.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_st_st10.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_st_st13.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_st_st8.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_st_st10.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_st_st13.jpg

T

tonester

Reaction score
Jason,

Ceramists have the artist complex. Artists are quirky, unique, and very critical of themselves and often critical of each other. They're often tortured souls because of their perfectionist goals. We picked a tough art considering our competition is God.

That being said, your case looks great. As I sid in my post "Let's share color recipes" many of the top ceramists don't even do single centrals. if they do they charge for two and consider the first an expensive shade tab. If you applied this theory than your two units are an awesome shade tab that had the patient came to your office you would have nailed it.

When there is this type of discoloration in the mouth every tooth is stained and colored different. Yours fits in the scheme of thing just fine and I can see why they're pleased.

I can tell you have skills. Nice job!

Don't think all the case we see in the journals, that the gurus got it in one shot. Also thankfully they can't do all the work that's out there so there's enough for us mere mortals.

and...

Al, yours stuff is as good as anyone claiming to be a guru. You've probably unselfishly helped more people than any of them too. I'm just glad my doc's don't know you. You're my secret. LOL.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"Take note of how sharp the distal incisal edges are on 9 and 10.
Not rounded like the temps are. Try to match that sharp wear pattern."

One thing i wanted to add when talking about replicating corners and edges.

Youve probably seen this alot and maybe some in your own work but i started to notice that when i was replicating eg a single central, that the mesial incisal corner often looked rounded in the mouth compared to the adjacent central.

Id check on the model and it would look perfect, so was very annoying as when this happens it kills the case.

So what i started doing was setting my models in a pressure pot at 1bar. PRESTO problem solved. All my models have nice sharp corners now and i know that it is a true representation of whats in the mouth.

I started doing this with just anterior cases but then it made me start thinking that if corners could round, then maybe corners on edges in inlays/onlays etc could be doing it also, so now i put all cases in the pot so i know me models are as accurate as possible and that pressure is pushing the die stone into every little area possible.

It also has the added advantage that it makes the die stone harder as well.

Just be sure if you do this not to turn the pressure up to much as you dont wanna warp the imp :)

Might help someone else avoid this issue.

Its the sorta thing you only start noticing once you get into photographing.

Last edited:
amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
Well it was a failure:( They loved it and seated it and all that but I missed it bad. I need OE-3 on the facial of 8, less trans on incisal edge, more white mottling on facial incisal 1/4, more trans on distal edge and on and on..... They had to reduce the preps before the seat and it looks like 7 is angled out facially. I really missed the contour of 7. The distal really need to flatten out and go straight into the tissue. The mescal contact area of 8 is off. The line angle should have been rolled in more. The distal gingival area of 8 is off. The value of 8 in general is too low. #5 looks decent waaaaaay back there;)Oh well........ fire away:)

alh5.googleusercontent.com__oQU5V0EcOv8_Tk1_nevq5rI_AAAAAAAAF3A_qMKNs7RZ2sA_s912_IMG_2246.jpg

NicelyMKV, our job as technicians is to recieve DR and patient acceptence of the restorations we provide them. while it is most certianly a good practice to crituqe our work ( we are always harder on ourselves),do not beat youself up at all. job well done

Greg Amendola MDT
thanks for showing us
alh5.googleusercontent.com__oQU5V0EcOv8_Tk1_nevq5rI_AAAAAAAAF3A_qMKNs7RZ2sA_s912_IMG_2246.jpg

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Thank you all very much! All I have really done is basic stuff in my career so I really want to get better. You guys are the best and I really enjoy this forum. I just think it is my responsibility to the patient to get much better. I really enjoy what I do and love talking to other techs. Unfortunately I am in a pretty closed minded area so I have no one to really talk to about techniques etc. Another reason this forum is so great. Somewhere anyone can come to learn and feel welcome.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Paul, I am not familiar with the pressure pot method? What steps are involved? It is crazy when I look at the crown in person and am somewhat satisfied then take a few photos and, WHAM!! I start seeing all these imperfections all over the place. It is amazing how much detail you get and how much more you notice.

Top Bottom