3Shape Library Question: Cerec scan body with scan posts?

G

giedental

Reaction score
Hi all - never posted an intro, but here I am picking brains.

We received a digital impression which was using the Cerec scan body (the little cap with the pyramid on top) with a Nobel Active Ti scan post. I contacted Sirona, who told me they are not able to work on the file and that they are exclusive to Atlantis scan bodies. They routed me to Patterson, who then routed me to 3Shape, who then routed me back to Patterson. All of whom had no idea what to do with it. Maybe I just got some bad reps on the phone with me?

I know that this doctors previous lab was able to work with this scan body. Does anyone know if there is a Library for this or what company is able to help with this?

At this point, we're already working around the issue but I still just want to figure this out.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
cerec scan bodies only work in the cerec software. you will not be able to work with this case unless you own sirona software.

DigiSculpt Design Center

DigiSculpt Design Center

Reaction score
While it is possible to reverse engineer an implant library and build crossover files to digitally swap one scanbody with another, unless you're planning on doing many, and I mean many of them, its not worth the investment to build them. Its like a machine shop, you're not going to set up tooling or build casts to make a one off product now and then

If you really really want to be able to work with them, buy the cerec pyramid base scanbody, buy the scanbody you can work with, build a jig that encases the appropriate analog, scan both individually on the jig, align the two scan bodies via the jigs anatomy, load the scanbody overlay into a files with the cerec case, align via the cerec scanbody, crop out the cerec scanbody, and be left with the scanbody you want to use in its place. Export that file and proceed at your own risk

I very much don't recommend this if you're not very confident in your technical knowledge

Last edited:
G

giedental

Reaction score
cerec scan bodies only work in the cerec software. you will not be able to work with this case unless you own sirona software.
Ok so, that's waht I also understood as well. But I guess speaking with all these other tech support folks from 3Shape, Patterson, TruAbutment, Sirona, all led me to believe that there was some kind of Library or a subscription that gives you superpowers via the 3shape dong lol. Thanks for the response!

G

giedental

Reaction score
While it is possible to reverse engineer an implant library and build crossover files to digitally swap one scanbody with another, unless you're planning on doing many, and I mean many of them, its not worth the investment to build them. Its like a machine shop, you're not going to set up tooling or build casts to make a one off product now and then

If you really really want to be able to work with them, buy the cerec pyramid base scanbody, buy the scanbody you can work with, build a jig that encases the appropriate analog, scan both individually on the jig, align the two scan bodies via the jigs anatomy, load the scanbody overlay into a files with the cerec case, align via the cerec scanbody, crop out the cerec scanbody, and be left with the scanbody you want to use in its place. Export that file and proceed at your own risk

I very much don't recommend this if you're not very confident in your technical knowledge
Y'know, I was always curious if there was a way to build these yourself, and I suppose this does make sense... but definitely not something I'd want to try my hand at. I'd probably go down some rabbit hole and never return. Thanks for the input / insight, though! I was always curious how that could be done.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Ok so, that's waht I also understood as well. But I guess speaking with all these other tech support folks from 3Shape, Patterson, TruAbutment, Sirona, all led me to believe that there was some kind of Library or a subscription that gives you superpowers via the 3shape dong lol. Thanks for the response!
I always offer to get the scan bodies for the work flows that work best for our lab to our scanning doctors. I don't charge my long term doctors for these scan bodies.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
This scan is new to me. This case was scanned with Cerec. It calls for a implant crown and abutment to be fabricated from this scan. Is this similar to Encode?

Attachments

• Screenshot (37).png
    Screenshot (37).png
    333.4 KB · Views: 6
L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Yep, that’s an Encode healing cap!