Making a Digital Reduction Coping

I

Ivan_aYYY

Reaction score
I thought I should ask the experts on a situation that my team and I are curious about. Has anyone tried to create a digital reduction coping or prep guide before? I'm a new technician in the digital department and our lab uses 3Shape to design our cases. Recently I received a printed model back as one of our other technicians had to reduce the prep area as it was way too contact heavy. However, now we need to create a prep guide/reduction coping for the doctor to know just how much we took off the original prep. Through 3Shape I'm trying to figure out what option to choose in the Order Form in order to design and then print this. Any ideas?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I dunno about the 3sheep system, but in Exo you load the case as a simple coping, it takes 10 seconds to design, then send it to the mill or printer if you like. Then you proceed to design the crown as needed, the only difference is that you edit the prep before, to give enough space for minimum thickness, cut a hole in the coping to reveal the reduced part, mark the reduction facet to help the dr. visualize better where to reduce.... and is done

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
I do something similar with the pmma coping, but after I adjust it on the die, I rescan it and merge it back into the case

D

DentalTech5678

Reaction score
We actually don't do a digital reduction coping. We make it with an acrylic. Much faster.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I reduce the prep digitally in the "Prepare" step with the sculpt tool. I fabricate a "simple coping" out of wax(could also do this in pmma) in addition the crown or bridge I am fabricating. Once the model is printed, I mark the area I reduced with a black sharpie. Then I put the wax or acrylic coping on the printed prep and reduce until there is a window in the coping exposing the black mark on the prep.