3Shape, double arch waxups

D

DDE

Reaction score
Hi all!

I've been using 3shape to design digital wax ups and finding it to be hard work when it comes to double arch wax up cases.

I use the temporary on prepared model workflow, the teeth don't occlude against one another when I attempt to use the smile composer tool, they just float separate from one another and I have to manually position them.

I've also noticed that the smart tools don't work for the designed teeth opposing one another which makes fitting them into occlusion more difficult.

How is everyone else doing this? Are there any easier ways? It's very time consuming and a difficult workflow as is.

Thank you

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
I'ld like a better workflow too. Maybe there are some ninja secrets.🥷

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Full arch waxups are one of those situations where having your own customized library helps so much. For me personally, on most of the libraries there’s always small things I have to change, like little lumps and bumps all over the place, or weird contours, so rather than doing that on every tooth, it’s helpful to have a library already customized the way you want. Plus the way 3shape works, the more clicks you have the more it bogs down the computer, so you want to reduce clicks wherever you can, especially on two full arch waxups , where you can easily end up with enough clicks to slow the computer down a lot.

I personally set everything up as a tabletop, I don’t use the temporary on prepared setting, I’ve found tabletop to be way less glitchy, and less steps. (If I’m setting it to tabletop I normally set it to 2019)

As far as the automatic tools not working, I’d have to check, but I believe one of the versions of 3shape they do semi work. So you can’t use the automatic tools, but what you can do is click the add or minus tool, and you’ll see four icons below them. The second icon is the antagonist icon, turn that on, write in your occlusion manually, and then just go to town with the add or minus tool. What it does is that it will make sure you can’t add or minus above or below those parameters, so it makes it much easier to get the occlusion correct. I’ll usually get everything close, and then turn that setting on to fine tune it. But I’m not sure which version it works on, because just recently I tried it on two opposing teeth, and it wasn’t working randomly.

Last edited: