Best 3shape workflow for a convex monolithic fixed bridge?

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm working at an in-house lab and we recently got 3shape. I've been able to design/print dentures and whatnot but my docs want me to start designing our all-on-x fixed bridges. I've figured it out for the most part but we really want to be able to have a convex intaglio and no ridge lap for patient hygiene and I've found it to be troublesome in 3shape.

I've tried a few different workflows, denture module 2022 with verified casts scanned with multi-unit scan bodies, and waxup bridge module workflow. Neither really allow me much freedom to work with the gingiva even with enabling sculpting on protective surfaces. Now going bridge/screw retained crown workflow lets me do it but I don't have all of the luxuries of the denture module for design. Anyone have any ideas?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm working at an in-house lab and we recently got 3shape. I've been able to design/print dentures and whatnot but my docs want me to start designing our all-on-x fixed bridges. I've figured it out for the most part but we really want to be able to have a convex intaglio and no ridge lap for patient hygiene and I've found it to be troublesome in 3shape.

I've tried a few different workflows, denture module 2022 with verified casts scanned with multi-unit scan bodies, and waxup bridge module workflow. Neither really allow me much freedom to work with the gingiva even with enabling sculpting on protective surfaces. Now going bridge/screw retained crown workflow lets me do it but I don't have all of the luxuries of the denture module for design. Anyone have any ideas?
I dont have 3shape, in exocad you can design in denture module then export to stl and copy the design and get the C+B features.

AaronW12321

AaronW12321

Reaction score
Now going bridge/screw retained crown workflow lets me do it but I don't have all of the luxuries of the denture module for design. Anyone have any ideas?
Are you indicating Gingeva on the order? or trying to sculpt it by hand in the final design step?

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
Are you indicating Gingeva on the order? or trying to sculpt it by hand in the final design step?
Gingiva is always on the order yes, but it depends on the workflow how it's implemented. If it's denture module I go with a monoblock denture, waxup bridge module I don't include gingiva, and screw retained crown workflow I do gingiva as well.

AaronW12321

AaronW12321

Reaction score
Screw retained bridge with gingiva is what I use for sure. You could try designing gingiva in the denture module and then save that design using the additional scans tool. Then load that into your screw retained bridge module case as an additional scan, and then use the new sculpt threshold tools in 2022 to morph the gingiva to your denture gingiva design.
There might be a more appropriate way to do this using one of the copy case options though.

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
Screw retained bridge with gingiva is what I use for sure. You could try designing gingiva in the denture module and then save that design using the additional scans tool. Then load that into your screw retained bridge module case as an additional scan, and then use the new sculpt threshold tools in 2022 to morph the gingiva to your denture gingiva design.
There might be a more appropriate way to do this using one of the copy case options though.
Thank you, have you had luck with a convex hygiene friendly design without ridge lap in the screw retained bridge workflow?

AaronW12321

AaronW12321

Reaction score
Thank you, have you had luck with a convex hygiene friendly design without ridge lap in the screw retained bridge workflow?
I have, though probably not designed to the quality you're aiming for, I'm definitely able to get a basic convex gingiva design, with some basic root eminence, definitely not anything fancy.

Attachments

• Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    466.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    249.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    459.4 KB · Views: 21
JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
I have, though probably not designed to the quality you're aiming for, I'm definitely able to get a basic convex gingiva design, with some basic root eminence, definitely not anything fancy.
That looks great! Do you have any tips?

AaronW12321

AaronW12321

Reaction score
That looks great! Do you have any tips?
Not really unfortunately, i'm pretty new to them myself. Add a ton of material, reduce to a rough shape, smooth, and repeat. Don't try to do any sculpting in the final combination step and youll keep that nice gingival emergence around each tooth

Top Bottom