share your knowledge?

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
A word on what you use to pumice, I'm sure you know. There is a problem with your lungs going south from what you use. Not right now, right now, but, later, later.
Some suppliers don't sell it for this reason.

I did not know this. I don't want my lungs going anywhere without me. My lab overhaul (still in the framed stages, electrical 80% done) has much improved suction and dust containment. I've been a little paranoid about breathing dust and junk. I also hated the mess in my previous lab. It's too bad about the stuff 'cuz it works real well. Thanks for the heads up.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Read the info on the package. Sorry you didn't know about it.
William the denturist due here, uses the stuff. He loves it too. He says just be sure to keedp it very wet.
But...then again...I here he uses cloroform and a rag for sedation also.....

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
Some people may not appreciate you helping me to live longer, but I do. Thanks!!

Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score
Wire bending tech by machine has always interested me. When this tech becomes available and reasonable, I'll get one.
At this point, Don Inman is messing with the model idea abit.
As always intial cost of this type of thing not only keeps a small lab away, but also makes it not so tasty for an office either.
There will be some that front the bucks to start, then cost will come down, then everyone will get it.
There will be very little effect concerning the loss of business for a small lab.
In the future, all labs will have th ability, as Orthodontic offices outfit themselves, and learn to use the technology correctly.
Labs will follow.

I feel it will be a long time for machines to replace Ortho Techs regarding wire bending. I wish I was wrong as I would and could raise the capital to purchase a machine. I do feel it will happen but at 51 years old it will not impact me too much. Tech is the future and I just invested in a 3 Shape Scanner to help my lab prepare for the future even if I am not here to be part of it.

The best example I can share with you is Suresmile, visit suresmile.com and especially SureSmile | About SureSmile | Technology go to Step Three to see real ortho wire bending.

As some of you know I have designed several clasps and the industrial wire bending machines at this point in time cannot handle the demands I needed...but it is just time...oh and money..lot's of money.

As for the original question of this post my "what I cant do without" would be Robinson Brushes for quality control trimming of acrylic near wires and no matter how small the lab...a steam cleaner....once you have a steam cleaner you could never do without...IMHO

Regards,
Don

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi Don,
There are 12, maybe 1 or 2 more or less, Orthodontists in the county where I live. Lane county Oregon. 1 Dr does the smile wire, been working for him since 94. He is the only Dr in the Willamette Valley that uses SmileWire. Loves it to so far.

Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score
Mike:

Here is another example of Cad / Cam in ortho...very cool...very $$$$$$
They custom print and create lingual gold brackets for each tooth for a specific patient.
Patient Information : Technology :: iBraces - Invisible Braces that Make You Smile

I still have don't know if "printed models" will hold up to monomer, please *** let me know...please...

The few accounts I have using SureSmile swear by it, Lingual Care... I think is now called Ibraces is also very respected by those who use it.

Hey are you busy are sh..?
Crazy summer!

Don

L

labdude

Reaction score
Crazy busy. People held off starting, now they are playing catch up...me to.

Not lingual brackets again....man.

As far as making a printed model (RPT),what office is capable of sending you a scan to make the model with??? Why print a model in lab if you already have a model, unless you like to duplicated models a lot.
If you don't have a printer yet, go to a lab that does and steal one from their trash, and try it.

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
I still have don't know if "printed models" will hold up to monomer, please *** let me know...please...

I guess we would have to go back to the actual tin foil method for separating if the model doesn't hold up;)

Mike:
Im sure many offices would love to be able to scan the mouth with a wand instead of taking impressions and pouring them up.

Also, Can you imagine the shipping cost of USB thumb drives (with mouth scans on them) as compared to plaster models?

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
Some things I couldn't live without in my lab:
NSK 500z hand-piece
Quick Chuck on my lathe
Robison bristle brushes
Stainless steel bristle brushes
Hawley Loop Forming Pliers
HydroFlame
Pumice Substitute ( with water squirt bottle near by in case it starts to dry out)
GL Model holder
and of course....
The Steamer

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
I started using Polycril by MDC as a substitute for Pumice (25 lbs for $39.50). It works so much better than pumice, is cheaper and has a little powdered bleach mixed in (just makes me feel better). I high shine with Shure-Shine by National Keystone (2 lb brick for $8.95). I use a steam cleaner right before sealing.

I heat seal the restorations in bags with a clear or light orange mouthwash, ie Oxyfresh (clear) or Listerine (citrus). Back in the 80's we used Scope or Listerine (green or blue),but the food coloring tint would lightly stick to the teeth or interproximal. It easily buffed off, but looked like mold when someone would open the bag. Not a good presentation of a fine acrylic work of art, if you ask me.

I also like using the Pindex to mount my removable casts. I use the short brass single pins and the grey acrylic sleeves. If I have to remount, it is as easy as grabbing a few new sleeves. I can also remove the casts when I am doing the final waxing, no base or articulator to lug around. If I am careful when I devest, the pins will allow me to remount very easily after processing.

Speaking of waxing, I also spay a little Armor All (the car stuff for making vinyl shine) on a 2x2 gauze and buff the wax when I have the wax up nearly completed. It actually helps polish the wax (the cotton is abrasive and the Armor All provides lubrication). With the slight film left, the final wax carving is then done, and the film prevents the little carving flakes from sticking back to the wax-up. The flakes can be blown off with a little compressed air. Since I keep the film to a minimum, the Armor All has never caused any contamination problems when I invest. This technique works on all wax-ups, (removable or fixed).

Just a lil note if your mouthwash has alcohol in it...it cracks the retainer have you ever got a repair and theres a million little crack throughout the acrylic? Its because the patient is soaking it in a alcohol based mouthwash just an FYI

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
Some things I couldn't live without in my lab:
NSK 500z hand-piece
Quick Chuck on my lathe
Robison bristle brushes
Stainless steel bristle brushes
Hawley Loop Forming Pliers
HydroFlame
Pumice Substitute ( with water squirt bottle near by in case it starts to dry out)
GL Model holder
and of course....
The Steamer
OMG One day Im going to post a picture of my ghetto model holder! Ha

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
Hi Don,
There are 12, maybe 1 or 2 more or less, Orthodontists in the county where I live. Lane county Oregon. 1 Dr does the smile wire, been working for him since 94. He is the only Dr in the Willamette Valley that uses SmileWire. Loves it to so far.
Wait a minute what is this Smilewire that you speak of??? Am I going to have to hire a lawyer??? Ekkk

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi Smile,
I like that goody about the mouth wash. I have noticed many over the years, tiny surface cracks, brittle acrylic, old rets though.

As far as smile wire, yeah...go for it...they owe ya'.

orthodent

orthodent

Reaction score
Tech is the future and I just invested in a 3 Shape Scanner to help my lab prepare for the future even if I am not here to be part of it.
what applications are you finding profitable with the scanner, are you getting into digital study models now? It will be nice when they can read just impressions and implement tooth moving software. Why did you decide on the 3shape?

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
okay- i've seen a few people who love their steamer...i have never used one-even when i was a t.p. ortho- have never even heard of using one- so. what is it for???

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi Michelle,
Steamer removes wax. From springs in acrylic, to wax used for relief in undercuts.
As for the pumice stuff, see the top post on this page.
M.

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
i've always used a little wax solvent for that- but i guess the steamer would work well, especially if there's alot of wax. thanks :)

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
steamer also removes all those little bits of pumice that get stuck in lil bubbles makes a good sunglass's cleaner. only get one if you have room near you sink they are nice though

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
Hi Smile,
I like that goody about the mouth wash. I have noticed many over the years, tiny surface cracks, brittle acrylic, old rets though.

As far as smile wire, yeah...go for it...they owe ya'.
So I coudn't find smilewire which you are referring too can you send me a link, cause I tell you when I was setting up my lab(business plan) starting in 2001 I've checked and double and triple checked that there where no other companys with the name so they must have just started using it. But do a web search for smilewire and all you get is me and some weird magazine journal thing

L

labdude

Reaction score
OOoops....my bad. Been to busy with other issues maybe.
SureSmile is the name, I crossed your name with theirs. I still need to slow down at the lab a little more.
Anyhow...looks like no bucks for you...sorry, here's the link however. It's from Don Inman's post in this thread. You have probably already been there. If they had one of these goodies that could bend accurate spring temper wire, I would get one and set it up to bend wires day and night.
SureSmile | About SureSmile | Technology
Mike.

Last edited: