Newbie Questions!

jlee24219

jlee24219

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm John from Big Stone Gap, VA, it's on the very southwestern tip of the state. I've been working in my father's dental office, trying to train my way up in the lab world. I've became pretty decent in Cerec and all stuff of the like. However, I'm having a horrible time with some ortho stuff and would welcome some tips, advice, course recommendations, books, all of it!

Firstly, i've got a few splints on my table atm. A couple of them are simple B-splints and the only question I have is how to finish the thermoform material, it always seems hazy at the end of everything, any ideas?

I also have a couple dawson style upper splints im doing, i'm fairly good at understanding the reasoning and what needs to happen with the bite, joints, etc. However, I always break a few teeth off when I do the splint, even after I think i've blocked out enough undercuts. Is there a secret behind this? lately, i've been making a vinyl impression of my initial model to have backups, but this is frowned upon due to costs :(

Thanks again for reading, sorry for the long post, but any help and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
I don't believe this forum has any decent ortho techs. :D

...and the ones that hang out around here don't get in till noon. :p

L

labdude

Reaction score
Alright Tim!!!
So I just got up. Decent, that's maybe questionable.
I was up at 3:50 this morning looking at NOTHING! Starring through a 16" scope and seeing some nice craters on the moon though.
Splints, I only do the simplest kind. Flat plain or a little cuspid guidance. All in acrylic, all S&P. Kreyer does splints using the press method. Makes for a hard very clear splint. There are posts here by Kreyer on splints. As well as just plain threads on splints. Try a search.
I don't believe you Tim, made me LMAO this early in the morning...well....morning for me.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Also jlee,
Look through the ortho forum your in now. Lots of threads full of various ortho info.
None of it placed by TIM.:p

L

labdude

Reaction score
And......
I am an idiot.
I know nothing of ortho.
I like to look at pictures and turn pages mostly.
2nd favorite thing is listening to my keyboard rattle.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm John from Big Stone Gap, VA, it's on the very southwestern tip of the state. I've been working in my father's dental office, trying to train my way up in the lab world. I've became pretty decent in Cerec and all stuff of the like. However, I'm having a horrible time with some ortho stuff and would welcome some tips, advice, course recommendations, books, all of it!

Firstly, i've got a few splints on my table atm. A couple of them are simple B-splints and the only question I have is how to finish the thermoform material, it always seems hazy at the end of everything, any ideas?

I also have a couple dawson style upper splints im doing, i'm fairly good at understanding the reasoning and what needs to happen with the bite, joints, etc. However, I always break a few teeth off when I do the splint, even after I think i've blocked out enough undercuts. Is there a secret behind this? lately, i've been making a vinyl impression of my initial model to have backups, but this is frowned upon due to costs :(

Thanks again for reading, sorry for the long post, but any help and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

In my opinion, there is no real way around needing a dupe model for path of insertion. Especially for splints. They have to occupy a place between intimacy of fit and reasonable POI.
My argument about this costing too much is that the $10-20 difference in duplicating cost is more than offset by the chairtime savings. If your dr blows 45min to an hour seating something at an overhead cost to him of $250/hr+, how did that $10-20 represent a savings? And you, the lab comes out looking foolish.

jlee24219

jlee24219

Reaction score
In my opinion, there is no real way around needing a dupe model for path of insertion. Especially for splints. They have to occupy a place between intimacy of fit and reasonable POI.
My argument about this costing too much is that the $10-20 difference in duplicating cost is more than offset by the chairtime savings. If your dr blows 45min to an hour seating something at an overhead cost to him of $250/hr+, how did that $10-20 represent a savings? And you, the lab comes out looking foolish.

I completely agree with that, and I'm getting him to come to terms with it I do believe :) Anyways thanks for the responses, i've been searching through the post learning what I can!

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Getting a dr to come to terms with what you need to do the job properly is the road to happiness for both of you.

PGguy

PGguy

Reaction score

My Splint making is very basic(monoplane/ant guide) so I am not familiar with those splints you are making BUT here are my steps:

1. take alginate impression of model for back-up "cheaper"(optional...if im in the mood) or pour up 2 models from original impression if the impression is still "ideal"

2. Proper block-out, prep steps yada yada, make splint. I like the "Dough" method, its easy to manipulate/shape splint once you get the hang of proper consistancy...I also get less air bubbles then "S&P" method.

3. Optional...Trim acrylic with sharp blade once doughy enough, VERY CAREFULLY to not "warp" splint, also try putting articulator in pressure pot while occluded, use seperator on opposing teeth.

4. finish occlusion/bite WITHOUT ever taking splint off model

5. Once your happy with bite, take off model and finish acrylic. If you break some anterior teeth, dont sweat it. as long as it seats back on posteriors AND doesn't "rock" you still gave your VDO

6. I like to use the "green carbide impregnated silicone rubber bullets" to polish out my initial carbide trimming...then I buff with the red stuff then the white stuff

7. Sparkling splint

hope that helps

C

corbett

Reaction score
Hey John, most of the suggestions sound reasonable, I don't have anything to add really, technique depends entirely on the ability of the technician. I'm down here in Jonesville VA and part time at Flatwoods (Tri State Dental) if I can help you out some time just give me a call.