taking over the lab

tretz2

tretz2

Reaction score
Hi, I just recently took over a orthodontic lab. I have worked at this office for 6 years as an ortho assistant, and I also work in the lab here. Lots of changes having taking place and I now I'm the only lab tech here. I have three awesome orthodontists to work for, but the work is a bit overwhelming.
I have been only tought only the basics ie.. clear retainers, hawleys, CR splints, RPE's, Banded bonded RPE's, some spr ret's and ID bonding trays.

One of the Dr's has more complex rets some I have not heard of and or even made. I have a book but I was wondering if there is any viedos to find tricks on how to slimplfy acrylic rets, like super mod sprs. I understand the consept but technique is lacking.

I have been in the lab for about three years along with ortho assisting. I poured trimmed, did all cleanup for basic rem rets, and ID's. I never saw any of what really goes on as in equipment and the maitainance.

Thanks for hearing me out. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciate:)

Tretz2

J

JMurray

Reaction score
Check out Great Lakes Orthodontics. They have great hands on classes you can take. They also have a text book that they sell that takes you through most appliances step by step.

I got into the the lab business with zero dental or orthodontic experience and after taking a couple of their classes to learn the basics and with the textbook in hand I have never had a problem making any appliance I was asked to make.

In my experience every doctor has their own way of doing things and what they call an appliance will not nessesarily match the name given in any reference. Your best reference is the doctor himself. Have the doctor draw pictures and really explain what they want and then take your time. It really is on the job training.

John

tretz2

tretz2

Reaction score
Thanks JMurrary I will check it out. We do order quite a few product through them.

Your right all three Dr's I work with are very different. Its kinda cool thou because then I learn faster. I aso agree with the pictures I can just about copy any picture.

Thanks Again

Tretz2:)

tretz2

tretz2

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Well so far so good, the other day I was at an open house our Drs were putting on and one of the Dr's from another office that sends appls to me brought a box to the open house. I didn't realize when I opened the box there were10 very interesting and complex appls for me. I have a week to do them but its shortened up because of mailing time. I'm learning fast but I'm torquing a bit on the arch wire. I have only uses retainers that are either sodered and or I use ball clasps. Using continuous wire is new, but I'm not giving up.
Take Care

Tretz2:)

Last edited: