RPD frameworks

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
So I noticed in the 3shape training videos they are CAD removable partial denture frameworks. Is anyone CAM yet? How are they turning out? popcorn

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
What are some advantages vs casting? What alloys is used?

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
What are some advantages vs casting? What alloys is used?

Tons of advantages over traditional techniques. If I was doing removables I would get that system Cad Blu Dental has with the screen you can draw the designs on. I also saw at the show they had a tree of 3 partials cast all at once (no refractory models needed anymore). Fit was perfect.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Interesting.... YMS- Who did your printing, and what did you cast in?? Im still doing them traditionally, and casting in Wironium.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
I don't do removables but when I was at the show CadBlu was doing removable printing (selling systems and printers and printing for people with no printer). Are you doing many a day? If you do 5-10 a day you should look into a 3Shape system.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
I have a 3shape, and we do 10-15 frames a day, give or take. I haven't been happy with any of the fits I have seen in the past... I'm hoping this may be better.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Did you design any samples using 3Shape? Who printed? Send some to CadBlu, I'm sure they will print perfect. The person you had printing probably didn't have the correct shrink compensation settings.

A

akcadcam

Reaction score
Partial Frameworks

@smilestyler

The partials are designed digitally - there are tools from 3Shape and SensAble available. The resulting 3D-file (STL) can be used to print a resin model which will be used like a wax model for casting. Benefit like the other posts describe: productivity. More partials a day.
Systems to print resin models for casting are available today from Envisiontec and 3D-Systems more will come later this year.
Here in Germany we already have four labs using laser melting for partials.
No casting, direct manufacturing of the metal framework with good fit.
My customers today prefer the smaller machine from Conceptlaser.

The problems mentioned with fit will be reduced - as we recognised - if you move to zero expansion investment materials. First you have to calibrate your scaling factor of the prints (They will no longer fit to the stone models - like green Zirconia) then you invest without liquid, just water.
This causes less deformation of the models.
Traditionally the liquid compensates the shrinkage of the cooling down metal,
now you scale the model first to the shrinkage factor - like industry casting processes.

Milling of partials makes sense if you move to biocompatible materials for allergic patients who need metalfree dentures.
Our customers have good results with milling machines from KAVO and industrial machines like DMG, Roeders etc. take care of a good CAM system and correct milling tools and cutting parameters.
But it's already possible with excellent results.

For this design you have to select the SensAble software - it offers more tools to design than the competitors.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
@smilestyler

The partials are designed digitally - there are tools from 3Shape and SensAble available. The resulting 3D-file (STL) can be used to print a resin model which will be used like a wax model for casting. Benefit like the other posts describe: productivity. More partials a day.
Systems to print resin models for casting are available today from Envisiontec and 3D-Systems more will come later this year.
Here in Germany we already have four labs using laser melting for partials.
No casting, direct manufacturing of the metal framework with good fit.
My customers today prefer the smaller machine from Conceptlaser.

The problems mentioned with fit will be reduced - as we recognised - if you move to zero expansion investment materials. First you have to calibrate your scaling factor of the prints (They will no longer fit to the stone models - like green Zirconia) then you invest without liquid, just water.
This causes less deformation of the models.
Traditionally the liquid compensates the shrinkage of the cooling down metal,
now you scale the model first to the shrinkage factor - like industry casting processes.

Milling of partials makes sense if you move to biocompatible materials for allergic patients who need metalfree dentures.
Our customers have good results with milling machines from KAVO and industrial machines like DMG, Roeders etc. take care of a good CAM system and correct milling tools and cutting parameters.
But it's already possible with excellent results.

For this design you have to select the SensAble software - it offers more tools to design than the competitors.

Using an envisiontec to do partials doesn't make sense due to the way supports are added.

The cost of laser sintered partials is too high right now and from what I've seen, printing and casting is a better way to go.

Who would mill partial frameworks? That doesn't make sense. The waste of material plus the time it takes the amount of tools you would go through doesn't seem to justify it. There's a reason why people are printing them.

It's become fairly evident that Sensable is a thing of the past and 3Shape (and other systems with partials) are taking over. As far as I know Sensable isn't even selling systems anymore so I wouldn't recommend that.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
So I noticed in the 3shape training videos they are CAD removable partial denture frameworks. Is anyone CAM yet? How are they turning out? popcorn

ai1161.photobucket.com_albums_q511_PeterHarling_partial.jpg

A girl that trained me many moons ago is doing these on the KaVo Everest System, I think it looks fantastic:)

Last edited:
DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
... interesting, looks nice.

does the clasping have any flex?

Y

YMS96

Reaction score

A girl that trained me many moons ago is doing these on the KaVo Everest System, I think it looks fantastic:)

Won't the clasps snap (assuming that's zirconia)? Also, do you have any idea how long that took to mill and what the cost was? You would use up a whole disc for one..

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Yes just enough to do the job, I don't want to say what material it is. I am sure somone will but I cant (confidentiality agreement and all that) but I think you will see more and more of this stuff being pushed through this year.
This is how she lists its properties, but we have done some R&D with this stuff and it has just the right amount of flex.

Allergy-free, as used in implants
High elasticity modulus resembles the natural, healthy bones
X-ray transparency
High resistance to wear, abrasion and corrosion
High stiffness and low weight
Sterilization capability
Retains its original characteristics even at exposures at
Conventional or adhesive cementation
Good veneer characteristics with conventional veneering for surface conditioning

All the best Pete

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Won't the clasps snap (assuming that's zirconia)? Also, do you have any idea how long that took to mill and what the cost was? You would use up a whole disc for one..

Not Zr, clasps wont snap, does not yet have a disk cost as its only being done by her for this manufacturer. You probably would use a disk to mill one but it would still leave room to mill more stuff. Time wise? sorry I reall don't know, I think 1 to 2 hours at a push based on stuff that we have done. Pete

Last edited:
DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
how would you "add tooth to partial" or change up the clasping in the event of tooth loss?
make a whole new partial? im guessing..

Last edited:
k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Sorry this is not my game, I am but a C & B Tech, but what would you do if you had a cast partial, would you gat a sectional frame done and have it laser welded on to the old frame or just remake it? I am sure you guys could work out how to do it without remaking it, thats what us techs do improvise. LOL

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
lol.. yea i would just use a stapler and a rubber band! :D