Natural pumice Vs Synthetic

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
Is there really such a difference for anyone here? I've used natural for 30 yrs now and find it hard to see benefits of a change over. Any thoughts or comments ?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
There is a huge difference, the material cuts faster lasts longer. When we started to do Valplast eons ago was when I first tried synthetic. It was like night and day different on this material. When we took the Valplast training they recommended "course" pumice to polish, it was like beach sand, I hated it and went back to my regular pumice till I read something about the use of the synthetic on Valplast. I can't imagine not using it now. Get a box I think you will see a difference as well.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! I imagine you get less 'bugs' from the synthetic stuffs?
LCM

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
We change the material daily, we also change the material anytime we polish anything that has been in the mouth. Ultimately it should not matter since we follow infection control when it comes in, but anytime I grind on an existing appliance I treat it as hot all the way till I get it heat sealed and in the delivery bag/box.

C

Craig T

Reaction score
I went from pumice to synthetic and back to pumice. The reason was to reduce exposure to silicates. I use an exhaust fan (1.5 hp) but found that it was hard to manage the airborne particulates.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Once wet there are fewer issues, but you are correct when adding dry material to the pan the use of a dust mask is essential. I think like most things in the lab the use of common sense is the most important thing. As for silica in the air I am having a hell of a time with the room where we are milling, it seems to me the air purifiers/air con is not filtering out the fine particles. I need to make some changes as it sucks to have to wear a mask the entire time in there.