Here I sit, all broken hearted

D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
Upper and lower imm FD. All dentition has super bad perio. Stinkiest impression Ive come across, ever. Bad impressions, have to fake in most of the border. Not typical of what I ususally get. Difficult gagger patient apparently, understandable. Mount up with supplied blue bite reg. Doc is asking for a wax inspection for patient to ok. Ready to dig in and start the set up and notice the bite looks off. Dismount from articulator, hand articulate to the obviously correct bite, rearticulate. Now, I just cant turn off my brain regarding all of the implications. All the time wasted. And of course, the obvious. Here's some garbage, but the important thing is that you set these teeth all nice in order to allow the patient to critique. I get treated fairly well pay wise, but if I were to charge for every time I had to talk to a doc or an assistant about problems pay would be double. Thanks for the vent.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Upper and lower imm FD. All dentition has super bad perio. Stinkiest impression Ive come across, ever. Bad impressions, have to fake in most of the border. Not typical of what I ususally get. Difficult gagger patient apparently, understandable. Mount up with supplied blue bite reg. Doc is asking for a wax inspection for patient to ok. Ready to dig in and start the set up and notice the bite looks off. Dismount from articulator, hand articulate to the obviously correct bite, rearticulate. Now, I just cant turn off my brain regarding all of the implications. All the time wasted. And of course, the obvious. Here's some garbage, but the important thing is that you set these teeth all nice in order to allow the patient to critique. I get treated fairly well pay wise, but if I were to charge for every time I had to talk to a doc or an assistant about problems pay would be double. Thanks for the vent.
I wouldnt worry about it too much, the dentist will probably grind the denture out and fill it with lynal anyway. If this is the final denture you will be seeing it again for a hard reline in the future , or get to make a better final denture later.

D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
I wouldnt worry about it too much, the dentist will probably grind the denture out and fill it with lynal anyway. If this is the final denture you will be seeing it again for a hard reline in the future , or get to make a better final denture later.
Prob is doc will be cussing lab (me) the whole time. Is what it is I reckon. Seems like a bad relationship.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Working on a denture now .. 1st round was an immediate, then came back as a total reset with new teeth, lighter shade.. pt didnt wear them. Dr wants teeth reset and sends a study model... of her moms arch. Dr says reset midline 2mm to pt left, try-in, thats wrong, it was 2 mm to the pt right.. wants teeth reset to look 'exactly' like moms arch .. get it as close as I can with denture teeth, drop it off and get a call 20 min later that they need to be more crooked, and that the pt is crazy.. I tell the office manager, crazy is one thing, catering to crazy is something else.. sh1t rolls downhill. o_O

D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
Working on a denture now .. 1st round was an immediate, then came back as a total reset with new teeth, lighter shade.. pt didnt wear them. Dr wants teeth reset and sends a study model... of her moms arch. Dr says reset midline 2mm to pt left, try-in, thats wrong, it was 2 mm to the pt right.. wants teeth reset to look 'exactly' like moms arch .. get it as close as I can with denture teeth, drop it off and get a call 20 min later that they need to be more crooked, and that the pt is crazy.. I tell the office manager, crazy is one thing, catering to crazy is something else.. sh1t rolls downhill. o_O
Now I need a cigarette and a whiskey after reading this.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack your removable stories but...about 1 month ago I got the Dr's neighbor's case back that we did about 10-12 years ago. It was 2 centrals, pressed out of CZR Press feldspathic. She chipped the corner of #8, so I had to remake it. I used what I had on hand, emax, and missed the shade as it was to white and bright. So I re-shaded it. The image below is how it came out. Not a perfect match with #9, but really close. I then got a call about 2 weeks later that the Pt thought the distal was to far out and wanted the mid-line gap closed. Granted, my Inc corners didn't line up either. The Dr then said he wanted to re-make them both, out of CZR Press and he would prep so I could close the midline. You all know that amount of time and labor in doing waxed, invested, pressed layered veneers...yikes.

So I dug through my boxes looking for those ingots I set aside when I started doing emax, and found them (didn't have to re-order them). Today, as I was working on the case and comparing the photos with what I was trying to match, I struggled a bit with my attitude on how close we were and couldn't we have just left them, as I was remaking them (one or both since the originals) for the 3rd time, made me think about whisky, cigarettes and mushrooms :) :)

IMG_4858 - Copy.JPG

edit: and to be fair, the Dr said to charge him, which I did. He's always been that way throught the years we've worked together.

Last edited:
Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
What you two need is fine print on your work order that says something like "bad bites and wrong shade resulting in a remake will be charged at full price for said remake. " Then make the denture over as many times as the dentist wants, and add that if they use temp denture as final instead of the temp its meant to be then you get what you get... Make it sound legal like and make sure they sign the work order.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack your removable stories but...about 1 month ago I got the Dr's neighbor's case back that we did about 10-12 years ago. It was 2 centrals, pressed out of CZR Press feldspathic. She chipped the corner of #8, so I had to remake it. I used what I had on hand, emax, and missed the shade as it was to white and bright. So I re-shaded it. The image below is how it came out. Not a perfect match with #9, but really close. I then got a call about 2 weeks later that the Pt thought the distal was to far out and wanted the mid-line gap closed. Granted, my Inc corners didn't line up either. The Dr then said he wanted to re-make them both, out of CZR Press and he would prep so I could close the midline. You all know that amount of time and labor in doing waxed, invested, pressed layered veneers...yikes.

So I dug through my boxes looking for those ingots I set aside when I started doing emax, and found them (didn't have to re-order them). Today, as I was working on the case and comparing the photos with what I was trying to match, I struggled a bit with my attitude on how close we were and couldn't we have just left them, as I was remaking them (one or both since the originals) for the 3rd time, made me think about whisky, cigarettes and mushrooms :) :)

View attachment 43917

edit: and to be fair, the Dr said to charge him, which I did. He's always been that way throught the years we've worked together.
i have seen a lot worse it matches pretty well to the other central i think the doc has gotten in to her ear for an upsell

G

grantoz

Reaction score
most denturist in OZ have given up doing dentists work as there is way to many resets etc to make a buck. they say you can refer the patient to them directly or not at all.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
After all of your work on this case, since the patient is a gagger, they won't be able to wear the denture! And that will be your fault too.
Where's that bottle of whiskey, I'll join you for a drink!

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
And of course this isn't free.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
What you two need is fine print on your work order that says something like "bad bites and wrong shade resulting in a remake will be charged at full price for said remake. " Then make the denture over as many times as the dentist wants, and add that if they use temp denture as final instead of the temp its meant to be then you get what you get... Make it sound legal like and make sure they sign the work order.
or just say "Here's your quote'. Better for the arguing and threats to start BEFORE you do all the work.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
When it start costing them money, the impressions and bites will improve.......if they get mad and quit because you won't be their slave,
your not losing anything but a bad hobby.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
So this would have been a perfect case and patient for an IOS.
Sending a screenshot of the bite and the setupfor approval . Follow with printed dentures for the tryin and extractions. Finalize dentures when healing and oral hygiene improves.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
I only do work for free that is my fault. We're not in the patient pleasing business, that comes out of their end.
I completely agree - so many docs have an expectation that if anything fails it should result in a free remake … pt swallowed crown please remake at no charge lol
I throw favors all the time to my good clients and am happy to do so, but I will never be someone’s footstool.
If it was within my control (or within the materials indications) then I warranty it. If it’s not then I don’t, period. Why would it be any other way? What other business replaces something you lose or abuse ?

Last edited: