Glidewell VHF 1mm milling burs

DentalLabHombre

DentalLabHombre

Reaction score
can anyone point me in the right direction as to where i can get a reliable 1mm bur that will not break after milling one puck. Glidewell has their 1mm burs on back order and no real timeline as to when we will get them and so far have tried 3 different resources all of which are either cheaper or comparable in price but break after milling a few pucks.

Sincerely,

newly bald guy.
(no offense to existing bald guys)

PRO ARTS DL

PRO ARTS DL

Reaction score
Toolmack seems to have VHF burs. I've used their burs (for AG not for VHF) and they've never broken on me.

Also Ron from TD Dental has VHF. Cant really say if they break or not since I barely got a set to try (for AG not VHF)

DentalLabHombre

DentalLabHombre

Reaction score
Toolmack seems to have VHF burs. I've used their burs (for AG not for VHF) and they've never broken on me.

Also Ron from TD Dental has VHF. Cant really say if they break or not since I barely got a set to try (for AG not VHF)
Yeah, I've tried TD, but will give toolmack a try.
Thanks

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
The 1mm bur for the vhf machine I have lasts a while, I think it breaks because the plunge rate of the bur is fast or off balance and should not break at the rate you'r indicating.

DentalLabHombre

DentalLabHombre

Reaction score
The 1mm bur for the vhf machine I have lasts a while, I think it breaks because the plunge rate of the bur is fast or off balance and should not break at the rate you'r indicating.
thanks for the feedback, i'll look into that, but why would it break other burs and not the 1mm burs i get from Glidewell?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback, i'll look into that, but why would it break other burs and not the 1mm burs i get from Glidewell?
Pure guess: Theirs bend instead.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Ive tried Took mack but seemed to get chipping. Jensen works well.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Ive tried Took mack but seemed to get chipping. Jensen works well.

For some reason my mini seemed to have had issues with ToolMack (not trying to pile on).
It's like we check out other burs, and then end up in finding the sweet spot for our mills, like ODSA with Glidewell burs.
I have better success (no issues) with Wieland/Ivoclar burs.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I am trying toolmack burs now, there seems to be no issue yet. Razer Sharp burs are also good.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Sierra razor sharps go about 200 units on zr. They are built for pmma and wax but cut zr excellently. This is what I use all day long no issues. $49.95 a bur.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
It looks like you can razor sharps from Zahn, for those of us who work with them.

With the Tool Mack burs I tried, and had tool crashes with them, could it have been a length issue, even though it
looked like it engaged the touch plate correctly? All of those burs ended up in breaking, or not releasing from the collet,
causing tool breakage. Ever since I went back to Wieland burs, it's been running fine.

The Wieland equipment repair tech mentioned to make sure they (burs) read 0 ohms when connected to a meter, and if they didn't
could have caused a electrical issue, in which it didn't contact the touch plate correctly, or caused the burs to not release from the
collet. We even tried a new collet, but still had the same issue. It make me a little leery of trying something else.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Whats the word on the nano diamonds from Zahn? sales guy said they conduct perfectly so touch plate isn't an issue, and will run 10X the units.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Whats the word on the nano diamonds from Zahn? sales guy said they conduct perfectly so touch plate isn't an issue, and will run 10X the units.

I run the 2mm Nano Dia on my 4axis no issue all day long, the 1mm will crash just when is not known. That's why i run the 1mm razor sharp for Zr no issues until a high unit count of 150+, like i said i have hit about 400 units on a few razor sharps in the past.

Toolmak burs are 36mm in length vhf cam software only sees 35mm, Steve gave me two sets doamond and carbide to try. The very first touch off on the 2mm, crash! This is not toolmaks fault but the way the mill touches off. It is trying to measure 35mm but the bur touches the plate and makes the connection before it even reads 35mm. V6.10 on my cam software doesn't allow me to change the length of the tools otherwise they would work. I know this is the issues cause once i put a 5axis tool in the 4axis and same thing happened. If you can create a new tool for 36mm length and get the cnc to use it you will be able to run toolmak burs. But others are running them no issues, don't know why i had a problem. I have been trying to get them to work by changing the burs setup. Maybe the older v6.09 allows the bur info to change and work.

I will post my 4xis bur counts when i go in on sunday.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Okay so i'm in the lab and on my 4 axis vhf mill, current razor sharp 1mm is at 269 units, last 1mm razor sharp went to 244 before it crashed due to a bad spindle i think, i just replaced it. But for 49.99 i think that's a great tool life.

Top Bottom