Milling Burs. Is there a difference between an expensive bur and a cheap one? What is it?

A

AKDental

Reaction score
In my experience the price isn't really at all corelated with quality. We've ran 4 of our 51d's for years with Brassler brand burs (briefly swapped to sierra and then immetiately back). We don't change them until they break, we dont have any fit issues, occasional chipped margin out of the mill, but we design our margins at .05mm so kinda expected. We've got some burs with 500+ hours that are still trucking on
Havent been on lately but i see and appreciate all the replies. Very informative especially seeing all the different experiences from different labs/techs. Anyways, to 'aaoronw12321', whoah,,..! 500+ hours on a bur.! That is WILD!! And they are still cutting good?
I would very much like to know what brand those are so i can try them out. Those are the hybrid vibranium/adamantium burs im assuming... :) Made by Wakanda Dental Supply.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
tool construction varies from maker to maker for several reasons and via several directions.

1. the purpose of the tool must be taken into consideration. for any tool to be used for your application (application means how you intend to use the tool like hard fast cuts in soft material, slow speed deep cuts in hard material, etc) you have many factors to consider; chiefest of them is the category of material. every tool manufacturer divides their tools by material. you can make a dozen tools for cutting steel, but separate tools should be made for Stainless, and separate tools for mild steel. specific tools should be made for edge cutting vs depth cutting, specific tools should be made for finishing vs roughing, specific tools should be made for with-coolant vs without....

2. the torque of the machine being used should be part of your consideration when you design an application of the tool; if you are in the business of integrating tools into CAM, you must know your requisite machine torque curve, and relative accuracy/repeatability of your axes. if you try to integrate a large diameter tool into a spindle with a low torque, it will likely stall during cut and could break more than just the tool if your axial engagement is too high.

3. flute geometry for your application; if you are trying to increase the rate at which your mill removes material you can always increase the number of flutes used to cut material, however you may not always have that luxury with tool providers. finding a 4 flute 2mm tool can be rather tricky. instead you can substitute a geometric grind that is more capable of faster material evacuation at high velocity, which means you will need to control engagement for chip and maintain specific feed rates to actually clear the material from the flute fast enough. they don't always make tools with varying geometries though so often you will be stuck with one type. this can limit your feed and engagement, and dictate what you can actually do with the tool in your mill.

4. coatings/hardenings dictating expense of the tool; many makers of end mills apply coatings or perform hardening of the edges of the tool. this increases cost, and can increase tool longevity. it also means they are built again with specific purposes in mind.

these are the kinds of things that affect tool performance, pricing, and if you are not the CAM programmer you might not want to be buying new tools because any change in geometry should be accounted for in the CAM software. simply swapping one brand for another is also dangerous because those brands have again designed their tools for specific application and need to be driven by the CAM instructions with specific intent.

i can believe there are tools out there with fantastic life, but please remember they were optimized for this life and driven to this life by not only the tool engineer but also the CAM engineer.

M

Manikandan

Reaction score
aLL 4 OF MY MILL ARE vhf i HAVE 3 hYBRID sELECTS FROM IVOCLAR AND A vhf s1
I am amazed at the milling hours shared above.
We have a vhf R5 where do I find compatible burs. Any help is much appreciated

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
It matters alot which zirconia is being used. For instance I use Argens zirconia and Katana sometimes among others. Katana zr is soooo much harder than Argens zr in the green stage, I know because I like to go over the anatomy with a scalpel. I am sure Katana zr will wear out a bur probably ten times faster than Argen zr would.

Top Bottom