emax Patent Expired

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
The patent for Lithium Disilicate, actually originally given to Jeneric Pentron and purchased by Ivoclar has now expired. Glidewell has been sitting on their infused LDS, called Obsidion....let the games begin.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Hot Dog, let the capitalism begin. From competition shakes out the best for the dollar spent.

C

charles007

Reaction score
What about GC, I heard they have one to ?

Gdentallab

Gdentallab

Reaction score
So that's why some dental companies are promoting ingots claiming they are better than emax . But the launching in the near future.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Good good good, looking forward to seeing where things go.

Gdentallab

Gdentallab

Reaction score
What about GC, I heard they have one to ?

that's what i heard. Price less than the emax with 6 ingots instead of 5. I mean the price of 6 ingots is less than 5 emax.

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
I don't mind the competition but my drs. ask for e.max by name so unless there's a huge difference in strength I'm not about to change it. I can get two sometimes three units out of one ingot so material cost is $11 or less per unit. Six ingots for the price of five isn't a good enough reason alone to get too excited....yet. I doubt Ivoclar will be lowering their price.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I doubt Ivoclar will be lowering their price.

Me too. I agree with you 100%. emax is the product with all the name recognition. The problem as I see it, is there will be a ton of cheap LDS now, and emax will get counterfeited, just like BruxZir and will take a dive in pricing to dentists.

By the same token, some of the new materials may really be good. Some minor changes in chemistry might wring out some extra strength ;)

T

thewhitelab

Reaction score
By the Same token, emax has now been around for about seven years who's to say one of these new products doesn't have problems down the line?

Last edited:
M

mrcadcam

Reaction score
Me too. I agree with you 100%. emax is the product with all the name recognition.

Maybe true, but have not had a doc ask specifically for Lava in a long time. So i think time will tell before name recognition dies down.

The problem as I see it, is there will be a ton of cheap LDS now, and emax will get counterfeited, just like BruxZir and will take a dive in pricing to dentists.

Maybe, but its not all going to be cheap....gotta have hope in other companies man there not all bad. True about the price dive but who wants to do work for those cheap ass dentist's anyways. But i guess you have a huge overhead to cover you need all the cheap ass's you can.

By the same token, some of the new materials may really be good. Some minor changes in chemistry might wring out some extra strength ;)

Excited to see more than one company advancing a great product.

So what do you think 10 years from now there wont be a bridge placed anymore or is that too little of time? GP's will be placing 75% implants and there wont be a need to ruin 2 perfectly fine abutments for 1.

C

charles007

Reaction score
The only prices we will Ever see dropping, are lab prices....
Emax, the #1 most reconized crown anywhere, zero chance of Ivoclar lowering the price :(

biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
Lithium disilicate glass-ceramics

Patent 6802894

Inventors:
Brodkin; Dmitri (West Orange, NJ)
Panzera; Carlino (Belle Mead, NJ)
Panzera; Paul (Mt. Holly, NJ)

Assignee: Jeneric/Pentron Incorporated (Wallingford, CT)
Issued on October 12, 2004.

Estimated Expiration Date: June 25, 2022.

B

bret

Reaction score
does any one know when glidewell will start selling there version

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
I am all for competition in the materials arena. It will produce better products for us to use. Mark, my Patterson service tech mentioned something about the development of sapphire stabilized zirconia to me awhile back. I think it was sapphire, hear anything about that? Zirconia with the translucency of emax.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I am all for competition in the materials arena. It will produce better products for us to use. Mark, my Patterson service tech mentioned something about the development of sapphire stabilized zirconia to me awhile back. I think it was sapphire, hear anything about that? Zirconia with the translucency of emax.

I have some pictures of some of the new fortified materials that I will share soon. I think we have some exciting new materials coming our way before too long. I'm much more a materials geek than a technology geek.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure it's Pixie Dust sprinkeled in the mix by Keebler Elves.
Top secret location behind Al's house in KY. That's the rumor I heard.:confused:

ajeffkatz_typepad_com__a_6a0120a721c2d7970b01348064294e970c_800wi_.jpg
ajeffkatz_typepad_com__a_6a0120a721c2d7970b01348064294e970c_800wi_.jpg

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I saw a copy of a patent last night that was issued in Germany for a new LDS product, "and method of manufacturing such material".

JOINT Patent Holders: Vita and Dentsply

Archenemies combine for the better good?

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
Lithium disilicate glass-ceramics

Patent 6802894

Inventors:
Brodkin; Dmitri (West Orange, NJ)
Panzera; Carlino (Belle Mead, NJ)
Panzera; Paul (Mt. Holly, NJ)

Assignee: Jeneric/Pentron Incorporated (Wallingford, CT)
Issued on October 12, 2004.

Estimated Expiration Date: June 25, 2022.

so it hasn't expired yet?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
The patent on Eris has expired per my Ivoclar rep.

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
The patent on Eris has expired per my Ivoclar rep.
I just heard this.also. I was told Ivoclar has multiple patents on various LD formulas and as mentioned above the Eris patent has expired not e.max.