Outsourcing

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I guess that's EXACTLY what happened to the " help thy neighbor " type of respect amongst Lab Owners.
Sounds like people want to make 100% of the profit instead of 80% while helping out a fellow lab owner.
I can't imagine myself as a Supply Company trying to sell to other supply companies at retail prices. Of course
they won't make as much profit as we do because we have other costs we take on such as ocean shipping. But
there's meat on the bone for everyone.
That's because you aren't manufacturing the products you sell. You are a retail business.

Our products represent labor. If it takes 10 hours to build for example a house, and you want it in 8 hours, your method of thinking is we just work harder. Our method of thinking is you don't get a roof.

Help thy neighbor...Where you been living??

If I charge enough for my products I don't have to pick meat from a bone and thank you for it.... I can buy my own meat, then invite my neighbor to join me.

Last edited:
rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
That's because you aren't manufacturing the products you sell. You are a retail business.

Our products represent labor. If it takes 10 hours to build for example a house, and you want it in 8 hours, your method of thinking is we just work harder. Our method of thinking is you don't get a roof.

Help thy neighbor...Where you been living??

If I charge enough for my products I don't have to pick meat from a bone and thank you for it.... I can buy my own meat, then invite my neighbor to join me.

I still think that helping fellow Lab Owners once in a while has gone to 5HIT since I started in this field 15 years ago. I guess you're
entitled to your opinion like I am. I'm not saying ALL labs are like this, I still know a few owners who don't mind helping out. As far as
our business not involving labor you are surely mistaken. There's A LOT of labor involved in prepping these items that come in.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I still think that helping fellow Lab Owners once in a while has gone to 5HIT since I started in this field 15 years ago. I guess you're
entitled to your opinion like I am. I'm not saying ALL labs are like this, I still know a few owners who don't mind helping out. As far as
our business not involving labor you are surely mistaken. There's A LOT of labor involved in prepping these items that come in.
If a random lab sent me work, I would charge full price. If my buddy down the street needed help and could reciprocate in some way I would give a break. Ultimately money is money. What would stop a dentist from calling in as a inhouse lab and getting the lab price? Its a numbers game I can only be so productive in one day. I don't want to work for 70% of my rate just because the other lab didn't or couldn't buy the equipment I did.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
JKraver makes a point and one I agree with....a working relationship with a possible mutual benefit.

Last edited:
bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
If a random lab sent me work, I would charge full price. If my buddy down the street needed help and could reciprocate in some way I would give a break. Ultimately money is money. What would stop a dentist from calling in as a inhouse lab and getting the lab price? Its a numbers game I can only be so productive in one day. I don't want to work for 70% of my rate just because the other lab didn't or couldn't buy the equipment I did.
Or one better...A competitor flooding you with work because of your low price to then resell, capturing your lost profit.

The name Handy or Sandy comes to mind. I know of more than one lab that is nothing but a loading dock for re boxing to Asia and Mexico. I'm sure they would rather keep it in the states....as long as they could find one of you guys to make $35 crowns and $70 dentures....you lab owners just don't want to help.

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
What I meant was when a fellow lab owner needs help every now and then, I never mentioned fully
taking on all their work. There might be a time they are having power issues and need a hand till the
electrician can get their power up and running or their only mill is having issues. Maybe the 2 man
lab who can't justify buying a mill for Titanium when they only do 8 bars a year. I mean if you're
too caught up in EVERY PENNY and can't imagine helping out a fellow Lab owner I think those kind
of thoughts should be reevaluated.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
What I meant was when a fellow lab owner needs help every now and then, I never mentioned fully
taking on all their work. There might be a time they are having power issues and need a hand till the
electrician can get their power up and running or their only mill is having issues. Maybe the 2 man
lab who can't justify buying a mill for Titanium when they only do 8 bars a year. I mean if you're
too caught up in EVERY PENNY and can't imagine helping out a fellow Lab owner I think those kind
of thoughts should be reevaluated.
If someone I knew came asking for help because their porcelain oven went down or something, I would let them come and use my equipment. If their mill went down I would take their materials and charge them a lower rate for the mill time. If they are a small lab who cannot afford a mill. There are 50?+ milling centers they could use, not one of them will give a discount for being a lab.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Im a lab, I'd appreciate some help from the suppliers
Yeah supplies are getting too expensive. I heard there was some discount prices in Asia. At least 30% off name brand.
Jack Nicholson Lol GIF

I'm just Joking.

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
it might be more localized to you, Ron. I have never had an issue with labs helping during struggles, nor with helping other labs when they have a need.
heck, my direct competitor down the road has asked for help in the past, and i have helped. and when i was in need and asked for help, he helped. theres enough for both of us in the market and neither of us will go hungry.

that said, it may not be this way everywhere.

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
it might be more localized to you, Ron. I have never had an issue with labs helping during struggles, nor with helping other labs when they have a need.
heck, my direct competitor down the road has asked for help in the past, and i have helped. and when i was in need and asked for help, he helped. theres enough for both of us in the market and neither of us will go hungry.

that said, it may not be this way everywhere.

Like I said there are still some great lab owners out there and you @sidesh0wb0b are the perfect example

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Well it would probably be different if we were talking about some wax or stone, but if I had a high dollar machine milling titanium bars..... Brotherhood is nice and all but when my machine tears up or needs maintained, I'm the one who's going to have to fix it. And that fee is built into the price.

Top Bottom