Basing and mounting printed implant models

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
How do you guys and gals mount printed models with all the digital model analogs open where you’ll be glueing/plastering? I have been using pre poured cast bases and cutting out the area of the analogs. If it’s a case that will mounted to a SAM or stratos type articulator then I’d fill the hole with putty and remove it after plastering like the picture of ivory colored model.
But this case?

IMG_7573.jpeg

IMG_7571.jpeg IMG_7572.jpeg

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
How do you guys and gals mount printed models with all the digital model analogs open where you’ll be glueing/plastering? I have been using pre poured cast bases and cutting out the area of the analogs. If it’s a case that will mounted to a SAM or stratos type articulator then I’d fill the hole with putty and remove it after plastering like the picture of ivory colored model.
But this case?

View attachment 44379

View attachment 44377 View attachment 44378
Hey Riley

I use these bases on most of my printed models. They come in different shapes and sizes:

(I buy the 'bare' ones)

I usually don't retract the analogs from the model once it is articulated, except if I recycle them. So, in your case above, I would relive the spots where the analogies poke through on the base and glue it onto one of that plastic bases. The bases can be trimmed, too, if needed.

IMG_3663.jpg

I realize the above is not an implant model, but it gives you the idea. Hope this makes sense

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I think I see how that thing would work.
Wish they had some videos

B

Beldent Inc.

Reaction score
I think you can add it in your model builder when designing the actual model?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I just cut a groove in the bottom with a lathe disk, super glue a couple of washers in (cut in half or not) and if needed for the access holes, I use white or red rope wax on the areas. I clean those areas a bit while the mounting stone is setting, and once it's set, pull the white wax out with a Buffalo knife to expose the access hole. Sorry, no removable cast to show you, but you get the idea.
20240229_100526.jpg

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I just cut a groove in the bottom with a lathe disk, super glue a couple of washers in (cut in half or not) and if needed for the access holes, I use white or red rope wax on the areas. I clean those areas a bit while the mounting stone is setting, and once it's set, pull the white wax out with a Buffalo knife to expose the access hole. Sorry, no removable cast to show you, but you get the idea.
View attachment 44383
Interesting.🤔
Why the groove and washers. I’m slow brained these days and need help understanding

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
This is what I’m doing and don’t like the time it takes.
Mark and cut areas on bases.
Glue to base
Fill the cut out with putty/play dough
Plaster to articulator
Remove putty
IMG_7581.jpeg IMG_7584.jpeg

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Interesting.🤔
Why the groove and washers. I’m slow brained these days and need help understanding
Retention to the plaster, they are smooth on the bottom (from my account) and they used to fall off the plaster bases when articulating, especially the uppers that were totally flat on the bottom. I like to keep the plaster smooth and to the edge all around (I usually don't make bases),so there is no retention in that regard (see my photo in how clean it looks, looks better that way for diagnostic wax-ups as well). What can I do instead that is easier? I suppose I could just superglue them together, but I think I had tried that?

Last edited:
RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Oh I see. I cut in some lines and cross hatching for that reason. 98% of the time it works every time

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Oh I see. I cut in some lines and cross hatching for that reason. 98% of the time it works every time
Yep, I saw that from your image, and that you are doing the same thing with putty/play dough which is probably less of a clean-up mess than my wax rope idea. I'll be trying that soon, thanks for posting that tip :)

B

Beldent Inc.

Reaction score
We print them empty and to mount we make holes manually on the sides, like draining holes for retention.
If not we just use the glued grey articulators not mounted on big articulators

Attachments

• aaSans titre.png
    aaSans titre.png
    481.9 KB · Views: 5
  • qSans titre.png
    qSans titre.png
    550 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom