Inaccurate 3d printed implant models , please help !!!

J

Johann

Reaction score
Inaccurate implant 3d printed models
Please help an almost desperate technician
I am printing implant models for intra oral scans from iTero , Omnicam , Blue cam and Trios scanners

All of a sudden I am getting open contacts ( usually only on the one contact) in the mouth. On the models the contacts are perfect .
I am sending out the stl files to a lab that does the conversion of the scans to a printable model ( they use exocad)
I then put the digital lab analogues into the printed models and use the tibase scanned method to do the crows.

I am using Asiga UV Max and Phrozen Sonic mini printers and both printers show up with the same problem.

What do the gurus say can I do to solve this problem once and for all

I am so desperate, I am even putting my email address on here if you could be so kind to assist me.
[email protected]

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Have you scanned the printed models and compared to intraoral scans?

J

Johann

Reaction score
Have you scanned the printed models and compared to intraoral scans?
Yes I have
The printed model is at most 0,3mm bigger than the original scan if overlaid.
This tells me that the crown should fit tight in the mouth and not have an open mesial contact

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Inaccurate implant 3d printed models
Please help an almost desperate technician
I am printing implant models for intra oral scans from iTero , Omnicam , Blue cam and Trios scanners

All of a sudden I am getting open contacts ( usually only on the one contact) in the mouth. On the models the contacts are perfect .
I am sending out the stl files to a lab that does the conversion of the scans to a printable model ( they use exocad)
I then put the digital lab analogues into the printed models and use the tibase scanned method to do the crows.

I am using Asiga UV Max and Phrozen Sonic mini printers and both printers show up with the same problem.

What do the gurus say can I do to solve this problem once and for all

I am so desperate, I am even putting my email address on here if you could be so kind to assist me.
[email protected]
If I understand you correctly, you are printing a model and then rescanning the case for the crown/abutment? The best way to handle these cases is to design everything at once. They will be much more accurate. You are working off a copy of the original scan by doing it the way you are right now. This can work, but it adds in excess error.

In order to solve your issue, my first step would be to call your tech support for you printer. I would calibrate the printers and have tech support look at your settings to make sure nothing is off.

J

Johann

Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, you are printing a model and then rescanning the case for the crown/abutment? The best way to handle these cases is to design everything at once. They will be much more accurate. You are working off a copy of the original scan by doing it the way you are right now. This can work, but it adds in excess error.

In order to solve your issue, my first step would be to call your tech support for you printer. I would calibrate the printers and have tech support look at your settings to make sure nothing is off.
Thank you very much , I appreciate your time

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
I would also ensure that there is no compression or expansion happening in the nesting software as I know for the Asiga especially you can increase the size with a simple keybind and drag, so make sure models being imported aren't compensating for material expansion when you don't want or if they are being resized at all.

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
There are a few of things that could be happening.

Calibrate the printer
Check your exposure settings using a test print
Make sure to always mix the resin before printing
When washing the models they are sitting too long in the alcohol. 5-7 minutes max
The models are either being cured too long or not long enough in the curing box

F

frontier

Reaction score
Had the same issue before.
As @Toothman19 mentioned it, recalibrating your 3d printer should be the best move.
For us, it was the calibration issue. Simple calibration using the software didn't work, so we had to call up Tech support for the printer and readjusted the settings.

Top Bottom