Die stone/ expansion

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I would like to know what's your choice of die stone, I started using "instone" type iv with expansion of .09% and 18.000 psi to see if it could solve my dentist contacts point tightness problem, I was using die keen, it is expansion is 0.18-0.2% and 18.000psi( contact points on die keen master and solid cast models fit perfect while the dentist says it is tight in the mouth).

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Fuji rock rocks.

GAP

GAP

Reaction score
I would like to know what's your choice of die stone, I started using "instone" type iv with expansion of .09% and 18.000 psi to see if it could solve my dentist contacts point tightness problem, I was using die keen, it is expansion is 0.18-0.2% and 18.000psi( contact points on die keen master and solid cast models fit perfect while the dentist says it is tight in the mouth).

If it was tight, wouldn't you want a higher expansion %?

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
If it was tight, wouldn't you want a higher expansion %?

I see your point, I need a die stone to be close or exactly represent the dentition in the mouth.

S

SamanthaADS

Reaction score
I struggled with one particular doctor on this issue to the point where we "had words." Find out how your doctor tells the assistants to make the temporaries (ask the assistants.)
My crowns were perfect on the model, but contacts always open in the mouth. For just this one doctor. I found out that he was telling his assistants to make the temporary contacts so tight that floss wasn't able to get through them. I guess he didn't want the patients flossing around and pulling the temporaries out. No wonder my contacts were open - the mouth was no longer in the state that matched my impression.
The doctor wasn't going to change what he has doing, so I could either adapt and try to figure out how to make my contacts fit some unknown mouth situation or I could move on. I moved on - it wasn't worth the aggravation of trying to chase an unknown.

Z

ztech

Reaction score
The purpose of the expansion of the die stone is to counteract the slight contraction of impression material. That was one of the reasons Die Keen became so popular. I use Fuji Rock EP. It's expansion is a slightly less than the PVS material that most of my accounts use and slightly more than the polyether of one of my clients. Each I adjust accordingly to the impression material.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
I struggled with one particular doctor on this issue to the point where we "had words." Find out how your doctor tells the assistants to make the temporaries (ask the assistants.)
My crowns were perfect on the model, but contacts always open in the mouth. For just this one doctor. I found out that he was telling his assistants to make the temporary contacts so tight that floss wasn't able to get through them. I guess he didn't want the patients flossing around and pulling the temporaries out. No wonder my contacts were open - the mouth was no longer in the state that matched my impression.
The doctor wasn't going to change what he has doing, so I could either adapt and try to figure out how to make my contacts fit some unknown mouth situation or I could move on. I moved on - it wasn't worth the aggravation of trying to chase an unknown.

Samantha, its good to see you here (I sat next to you at the smile design course)

I have one Doc out of my group that was getting light interprox contacts as well, while all my others said contacts were perfect. So for the one particular Doc I just lightly scrape the contacts on the solid model with a sharp blade, fit the crown and go on my merry way.. You will run in circles trying to chase a ghost. Realize that every Doc and assistant has different techniques, just work with it.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
We use a lower expansionmstone for the die model, then a high expansion for a solid model whichis the one we use for contacts. We usually scrape a teensy bit off the proximals on the solid model, 1-3 gentle scalpel swipes, more for some less for others for mitigating the same issues.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Old thread, I know...

Ive used Die Keen forever, but I want to try something else. Im not unhappy, just willing to accept that something might be better. I do like the expansion of Die Keen. What say y'all?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Old thread, I know...

Ive used Die Keen forever, but I want to try something else. Im not unhappy, just willing to accept that something might be better. I do like the expansion of Die Keen. What say y'all?
Die keen has the most expansion of any die stone I know of. If you get really iffy impressions and need that kind of expansion, keep using it.
I like Fuji Rock.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Rock on Dude. Ill order some. Thanks

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
Fuji is awesome but since they changed it it chips and flakes. I just started using microstars thixo which is supposed to be similar to the old Fuji. I've only used it a week but so far its great, no chipping and cuts like butter. Expansion is .10%.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
I've been using Pemaco Satin Stone for many years now. It's worked well for me. Expansion is 0.07%.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Zhermack Elite Rock for me.
Fuji rock is also a goodie but I liked the margin integrity of elite rock slightly better

R

Radu

Reaction score
Has any of you tried Shera's Hard Rock?

user name

user name

Reaction score
I guess Ill be ordering a variety to try. My only dilemma is where to order from.

I used to do business with Zahn.

Now my supplier is sending out the skirts to play nice with all my Doctors. Thanks alot.