Die stone chipping

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
I’ve been using micro star die stone for roughly 10 years. Lately (last 6-8 months) the stone seems to chip easier and is overall more brittle. I’ve checked procedure, etc and have come to the conclusion it may just be the stone itself. Anyone have a similar issue ? Any recommendations for a different stone to try ?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I'm using ETI Empire Direct tan die stone, and I "hate it", but I also haven't found anything better. It's hard, and strong without being brittle, but it's runny, even if mixed thick. So when doing quadrant triple tray pour-ups, I have to wait about 3 minutes before flipping the poured prep side of the impression onto the triple tray articulator.

I pour my opposings and solid contacts with Modern Materials Peach Die stone, as that is more workable right out of the bowl. You can stack it without it slumping too much, but it's not as strong as the other. I've also tried Fuji Rock, but it's expensive and not as strong as ETI's.

Slimboyphat

Slimboyphat

Reaction score
manufacturing quality is always a factor. consider calling them for support and making them aware.. i had mill coolant that was obviously off with chunks in it and told them and they fixed it.. kulzer's modern materials die stone type iv ivory and gc fujirock both great options for die stone

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
You ever give BegoStone a try?
Was a favorite at a previous lab.

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Bego Stone is a great Type 4 stone. Been using it for over 35 years

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Make sure you always use manufacturers water powder ratios. That's the key. Measure measure measure.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I'll give Bego a try :)

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
I appreciate the comments - I’ll give bego a try and see if I get better results.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Tried Whipmix Resin Rock when it first came out and never tried another die stone again, my two cents :)