Inter-proximal contacts??!!

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I used to for him , and his contacts where light as he said, that's why I don't use them anymore for him

It can depend on which assistant is doing the temp work. One Dr's assistant was moving things orthodontically (esp. last molars) and the other was real close.
If they're to lose for the Dr at this time, do a solid cast, and lightly scrape the contacts 3 times with a BP, and fit the contacts to that model. Use the same knife to adjust the contacts for the next cases and see if that helps. Like SBob said, they somehow need to know it is on their end, especially if you have to proof of a solid cast.I check my contacts visually and using Accufilm. If the Accufilm won't budge, or breaks, I'm good.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I quit worring a long time ago.
I cover my ass and then it is his responsibility to fix his end or find another lab.
there are always trouble Docs that need to be replaced as soon an new client comes in

Yes, we've seen the spent casings used to "replace" them.;)

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I quit worring a long time ago.
I cover my ass and then it is his responsibility to fix his end or find another lab.
there are always trouble Docs that need to be replaced as soon an new client comes in
To be honest with you Al, I am not worrying at all I have enough work to keep me going. Don't get me wrong this guy been with me for 25 years and love my work, it is just this contact issue which that erupts once in awhile, I will set with him and his assistants and be there and watch temps being made.

Last edited:
Al.

Al.

Reaction score
IMO the worst thing you can do is start changing your technique to accommodate one dr.
I've been there and done that. It really completely screwed up all my cases and confidence.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Tayeb,just release your groundhog in his office.

See how he likes that contact!:eek:

th

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
IMO the worst thing you can do is start changing your technique to accommodate one dr.
I've been there and done that. It really completely screwed up all my cases and confidence.
I ordered before this issue fugi rock to try, because die keen as mentioned on user name thread when it comes to sharp preps it is ok but not the best. Beside expansion for die keen is 0.18% while fugirock is 0.08%.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Expirament with a second solid so after (slightly ) abrading the solid check again. I wouldn't plan
on doing this daily going forward.
I use red pencil to fine tune contacts. No buildup like accufilm schmear . And the pencil doesn't
get sucked up to the vac screen;).

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I think temporization is so essential that there should be more emphasis on it with more courses for assistants or whom ever dose the temps, and this should be the first thing for the dentist to check when the crown fit the model/ solid cast, and when the lab has nothing more to diagnose and explore.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Expirament with a second solid so after (slightly ) abrading the solid check again. I wouldn't plan
on doing this daily going forward.
I use red pencil to fine tune contacts. No buildup like accufilm schmear . And the pencil doesn't
get sucked up to the vac screen;).

You're right about the smear layer. Once in awhile I have to steam off the contacts just to get rid of the build up.

On my scraped solid casts I mark on the bottom with a Sharpie of how many times I scraped it, so the Dr's can see
where they're at as far as temp fit and tightness, and we can go from there.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Don't forget it's tax time and when looking at the spread sheet it's a good time to complain to keep the fees down.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The fact that the contacts have changed since insertion should leave no doubt.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
See above pic Taye
can tell it is slightly up. but enough for doc to either push firmly and teeth slighty shift and seats or to adjust with one or two hits of rubber wheel
just curious....without seeing the margins, how exactly are you sure thats 95% down? i use margins under the scope on the solids to verify....not sure what other methods would be as reliable but i am open to learning!!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
How did you fine out that temps were horriblely made and how did you address the issue to be fixed? Please explain
the variable was an assistant. two assistants were trained in the practice on making temps. the other was was from another office. no one was watching when the assistants were making temps so no one had any idea things were wrong. i am not sure what the exact issue was, but he found it was something to do with that one assistant specifically and how she was making the temps. once he addressed it, the problem went away. he now enjoys 5min or less adjusting for crown inserts.
by the way, he was not very open to all of this in the beginning. but as he saw that my dedication to the issues was as much as his dedication to resolve them, he understood that i was trying to help. it took many weeks and months of back and forth (too many if you ask me!)....but at the end of the day we got it figured out and we have a gret and lasting relationship out of it!

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
just curious....without seeing the margins, how exactly are you sure thats 95% down? i use margins under the scope on the solids to verify....not sure what other methods would be as reliable but i am open to learning!!
I personally do not use solid models to double check margins.
I use them for contacts and tissue contours
If I was not confident in margins I would pour a seperate die.
In my hands if I get the crown 100% down on solid pour so I can verify margins than contacts will be on the light side in the mouth.
There is a pubic hair fine line between perfect contact and light.
I error on side of snug.
Final contacts after glaze can be one of the most tedious and frustrating things I do.
I work it and work it then, it's down and CRAP it's light,the film pulls through. Then I have to add back on. Did that so many f-ing times to get it perfect for the doc.
Forget about it. I take scalpel or thin bur and buzz the tissue away and hitting margins often the get the crown 90 to 95 % down on solid. So it's guaranteed to go down in mouth and be snug. ESP for 2nd molars that often move.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Quite often I push crown on solid and the stone abrades on to crown and I use that like marking paper. I grind the stone off the crown and repeat till its down. Then go to marking paper and rubber disk for final

Lots of ways to do it that's just what I do

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Could also be his impression technique. I used to have a few docs that would "double impress". That caused a ton

of headaches on our end.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I personally do not use solid models to double check margins.
I use them for contacts and tissue contours
If I was not confident in margins I would pour a seperate die.
In my hands if I get the crown 100% down on solid pour so I can verify margins than contacts will be on the light side in the mouth.
There is a pubic hair fine line between perfect contact and light.
I error on side of snug.
Final contacts after glaze can be one of the most tedious and frustrating things I do.
I work it and work it then, it's down and CRAP it's light,the film pulls through. Then I have to add back on. Did that so many f-ing times to get it perfect for the doc.
Forget about it. I take scalpel or thin bur and buzz the tissue away and hitting margins often the get the crown 90 to 95 % down on solid. So it's guaranteed to go down in mouth and be snug. ESP for 2nd molars that often move.
ok maybe i phrased my question wrong. i wasnt referring to checking margins on the solid. i was referring to knowing when the contacts are seated. you said you can tell by the pic you posted that the crown was seated 95% of the way down. i am asking how you determine that its 95% down? i dont "check" margins on the solid model, but i use them as a tool to verify when the crown is seated on the solid. based on the picture you posted i have absolutely no idea how you can tell its seated 95% of the way and i want to learn what youre seeing to give you that confidence.
i do absolutely agree that final seat of contacts (especially on veneers) are the most tedious thing we do in the lab. takes a very long time and sometimes crazy patience to get them all just where its required.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Could also be his impression technique. I used to have a few docs that would "double impress". That caused a ton

of headaches on our end.
those impressions are immediately given a no guarantee stamp and a phone call to the Dr.