So far we have 2 (two).
THIS is job security...
I hope.

We won't get rich but we won't starve.

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
Nick,

My fee's are not framed in that way, so I couldn't tell you. And to be honest I expend no more effort in my model fabrication than you do.

UCLA, Iowa State, Stoneybrook and a few others.. Ivoclar is making a big partnership with the schools..

Last edited:
Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
Sorry Nick, I only just jaw your question this evening. I've taught the denture course at two dental schools, (University of Nebraska College of Dentistry, and University of Coloroado Health Sciences School of Dental Medicine). At Colorado, the students just turned in their first denture (sophomore class) finished and polished, last Wednesday, grades will be turned in by the end of the week. It takes them a long time, and we sent them out for the processing step. I've been asking them to change teeth since 1992 and they finally changed THIS YEAR. It takes a while to alter the behemoth of bureaucracy and red tape.
The denture course has remained because the students learn more about articulators, mounting, remounting and occlusion, as well as esthetics and gingival architecture than in any other SINGLE course. With the aging population (ie "Baby Boomer generation"),the increased use of bottled and filtered water (vs. fluoridated tap water),the increased use of sucrose-based breathmints, not to mention the oral destruction caused by Meth. . . complete dentures ARE NOT GOING AWAY.
I spoke with our state Ivoclar rep (this past September),and the national head of Ivoclar's removable department (in person at a convention in Nashville, TN in October),and both were pleased that they were finally making significant headway into getting more esthetic teeth (albeit theirs) into the hands of dental students.

P.S. The new Trio teeth by Ivoclar are a blast to set, very esthetic (especially for "block teeth") and quick. If you use their teeth, try them out!!

Last edited:
yooper886

yooper886

Reaction score
I gotta ask... How much do you get for a model pour?

( I get $11, use Hydrocal 105 labstone and no vacuum mixer--- just hand spatulate 45 sec. or so and vibrate into the UNBOXED impression.)

Great photos and awesome work--- just couldn't put in the time for the cost the market bears around here...

Nick,

I get $26.30 for the same procedures Brian uses. It is the only way to fabricate a master model in my opinion.

Brian and others like him have created a market for this type of work. It is out there but you have to educate your current clients and search for new clients wanting to receive work like this and willing to pay the increased fees. You also have to be willing to educate yourself to the point where your clients will use you as reference in case planning.

Brian,

Had a great thanksgiving and a few days off. With a taste of that I am now looking forward to closing the lab for X-mas break. Thanks for asking!

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
Yoop,

When one stops doing the norm and sprinkles in the exception, clients know. Thats how you start. I tell you what I have had my teeth kicked in once or twice not to mention an irritated wife, but if you believe in what you are doing and become hard headed, it will come. I still am taking lickings everyday. I'm no where close to where I want to be or should be in buisness and my clientel, but slowly I'm getting there!

Bill, that fee is right on target! I might should take a look at my fee structure.

yooper886

yooper886

Reaction score
Brian,

I know what you mean about getting your teeth kicked in. Been there and done that. Once you start a certain standard you better stick to it or clients will know and you will lose them as soon as you get them. I hate the fact that until all your clients are on the same page and except the same thing that the temptation to bend the "rules" is there for certain clients. It takes alot of will power to do everything the same for all clients and not just the ones that want it and expect it.

Never stop learning or expecting more out of yourself. I think Rick said it on another forum that to take one thing and implement it in your lab at a time that way you do not become overwhelmed. That has worked well for me over the last few years.

OK, I gotta get to work or the wife is gonna kick my teeth in.

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
Box and pour impressions

"Brian, and others...
I've got a nice technique for boxing impressions that I want to show you (gotta find some photo's). I had it in the "tech" section of The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry (JPD),think the year was 1996. I'll try to post it soon, sorry for the tease!"

I posted a thread about using alginate to box and pour impressions.
Look in "Community-General discussions-Box and Pour impressions quick and easy."
One of my pros docs showed it to me about 8 years ago and it works great and saves alot of time. There are no pics as of yet.

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
One of my pros docs showed it to me about 8 years ago and it works great and saves alot of time. There are no pics as of yet.

Get busy then.. chop chop..

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
Thats the technique I am talking about. Alginate and boxing strip from Almore (about $25.00 and lasts several years). I also use an indelible transfer stick. Makes an excellent cast, the stone doesn't stick to wax and you can box and pour relines, wax trial insertions, PVS impressions for RPD frames etc. You can even do a second pour from the same boxing system.

I will post the pictures soon!

D

dentcre

Reaction score
wow guys ,how much are you charging for a denture using those expensive teeth,
here south I dont ever see a dentist willing to pay for other than stock "30 dollar a set" teeth.

yooper886

yooper886

Reaction score
Labor is the same no matter if I am using premium or economy teeth. I chage seperate for them. I take the price of the teeth plus shipping and add what I feel is a fare markup on them. Never had a compaint yet.

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
wow guys ,how much are you charging for a denture using those expensive teeth,
here south I dont ever see a dentist willing to pay for other than stock "30 dollar a set" teeth.

If thats the case, then use the Artic teeh from Heraeus. $4.00 a card. Nice little profit.

I do the same as Bill, I charge a set up fee, then I charge the tooth fee accordingly..

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
Anybody tried any of the Justi teeth?

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
Yes and they appear dead as door nail in the mouth; hard as hell but look very opaque and dead.

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
The justi-blend is very similar to dentsply Bioblend. much better aesthetically.

Last edited:
D

denturehelper

Reaction score
Is anyone used Image teeth or used them in the past. Molds are supposed to be
same as bioform / portrait teeth. Cost around 10.50 a card.

C

CShof

Reaction score
My former employer used Image teeth. It's definitely not the business model I'm using, but he would substitute Image teeth for Portraits on our premium cases for doctors that didn't know to look for the crescent. As far as I know they couldn't tell the difference. But like I said, I run my business completely honest, but for him the teeth were good enough to fool his doctors.

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
You are right CShof bait and switching product like your former boss does is wrong. Its amazing how receptive dental practices are when you just explain that you can supply an exact alternate mold they are familar with, for a savings, without lying.

I suggest Image teeth for those Drs. who are comfortable with prescribing Portrait/Bioform molds but realize they are overpriced for what they are and want to save a few dollars they can pass along to the patient or pocket.

They are indeed identical in shape and character to those molds and have the same wear characteristics. If you charge a fee to set teeth that doesnt change regardless of tooth cost and you net the same amount of profit on tooth resale, have less outlay of cash, and Dr. and patient are happier because they feel they are getting a deal, its a win -win.

Lincoln/ Image are now launching a Euro-Line of teeth at the Chicago LMT that are identical to..... popcorn

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
I suggest Image teeth for those Drs. who are comfortable with prescribing Portrait/Bioform molds but realize they are overpriced for what they are and want to save a few dollars they can pass along to the patient or pocket.

A few dollars they Pass along to the patient....:jaw:....... that's priceless... ROFLMAO

Last edited:
kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Is anyone used Image teeth or used them in the past. Molds are supposed to be
same as bioform / portrait teeth. Cost around 10.50 a card.
I use them as my economy stock. They sell like hot cakes. I bought a half dozen working molds to start and because it was a bulk purchase, Lincoln locked me in at a price for all future purchases that is less than the going retail.
The euro molds are really nice.

Top Bottom