Denture Teeth

L

labdude

Reaction score
Here's something interesting....I borrowed this from Teofil...thanks Teofil.
dentsply.jpg

C

CShof

Reaction score
I almost feel guilty for buying the teeth now. I must have had my head in a hole because I had no idea. So I'm looking around the lab at the other Dentsply products I have. There's the Permasoft soft liner material, Trixa laboratory matrix putty and Polyflex hydrocolloid material. What do you guys recommend as quality alternatives to these products?

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
Next thing you'll be in a corner huffing Triad air barier and then you'll get an Eclipse system............. Seen this before.:p

Lighten up, there are a ton of high quality products out there. Example, take a look at the putty to putty matrix material from Zhermack? Excellent stuff and reasonably priced. Keystone, ton of stuff.. Get out there look around and find stuff that works well for you and your product and if it's Dentsply, then so be it!

Remember, create something that seperates you and do it lean..

C

CShof

Reaction score
The last time I looked around and found something that looked good and was reasonably priced I got totally screwed, just read my problems in the hydrocolloid post. I'm looking for opinions on what actually works and what doesn't. Every product out there claims to be the best on the market and it would be nice to hear from a few people who have had success with a product rather than doing a blind point and shoot.

I grew up in a family with a union mentality due to my dad's job, so I completely understand the mindset of labs who would want to boycott Dentsply products. Labs may not be union but buying American to support American workers is a value of unions which correlates very closely to this matter, so if anyone can suggest quality non-Dentsply products I believe we can all benefit. But like you said, if Denstply makes the best product out there, then for now, so be it!

ps-Gave the eclipse system a trial run years ago at my old lab, every case was returned broken due to brittleness. Glad it wasn't on my bill.

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
GC America's dupli-coe. I prefer VPS material like that of Zhermak elite double 22, and Z-dupe.

Model stone and plaster? I like Garreco fast set plaster and Garreco Labstone and their Flasking stone. I don't care for any of the mounting stones.. The stone of choice for me for my master cast is Whipmix Resin Rock XL5.

Alginate for a quik dupe, Kromalgin. I found these products and a few others from trial and error or as you put it , "screwed". What I find great, others will say it sucks.

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
You use resin rock for making dentures? How hard is that to chisel out? Used it for fixed work but seems expensive for denture fab. I use Microstone by Whipmix and I'm reall happy with that. I also use thier mounting stone but don't use any plaster. I use Henry Schien alginate to dupe, but I haven't found anything I like better that Trixa, I use Coltene lab putty to block out my RPD's before investing but don't like it for duplicating detail. Used Reprosil in the Air Force but cost is prohibitive now.
As for buying American I try but Germany makes some great products also. However Dentsply deserves to lose some business and I will make changes where I can; however I'm in the same boat, can't throw out the denture press system and other material just to spite them they already have the money. Will switch teeth and acrylic to start as soon as I've used my stock.

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
You use resin rock for making dentures?

Why yes, yes I do! And to blow your mind further I place the poured impressions (boxed & Beaded) into a pressure pot @ 8 psi for 45min, then bench set till cooled then trim.

Believe it or not, it's not that hard to devest.... Renfert Pillo

Last edited:
yooper886

yooper886

Reaction score
Brian,

How do you keep the acrylic from bonding to the Resin Rock? Tried that in the past and ended up with a big pile of mess on my desk.

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
Ivoclar's seperator... The key is to have the model hot, pour on sep, let air dry and then re-apply. (Do not rinse in between application)

Last edited:
L

labdude

Reaction score
Nice work Brian. Great ideas, great suggestions on materials and the way, and order, in which to use them.
Mike.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Holy smokes Brian, you had a Dentist give you hamular notches and a retromolar pads on top of that....man, must be nice......lol

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
Brian, and others...
I've got a nice technique for boxing impressions that I want to show you (gotta find some photo's). I had it in the "tech" section of The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry (JPD),think the year was 1996. I'll try to post it soon, sorry for the tease!

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
What are the advantages of using Resing Rock? I vacuum mix my stone and get great results, without the added expense.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing Brian is using resin rock because of the density of the stone and his picture is of a implant (overdenture) case. Resin rock is strong.....I actually don't like it because it is so strong, makes it tough to trim the dies on the fixed side.

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
Gee, I don't know where to start? First off thanks and I would love to see any technique regarding boxing and beading.

Hamular notch and pads, it's a rareity for the pads.

Why do I use Resin Rock? There are a list of reason and yes the implant is one of them.

1) I'm selfish, I like the results very consistent.
2) I feel it protects the integrity of the cast. I'm a little OCD when it comes to that.
3)Expansion. I use Ivocap and I feel that it compliments my end result. (Nothing fixes a bad impression)
4) For RPD's, it's the ticket! ( brush the master down with baby powder and bam!)
5) I feel that it reflects value in my restoration. Presents very nice.

Cost,mmmm depends on preception.

Last edited:
N

nickate

Reaction score
Here you go...

I gotta ask... How much do you get for a model pour?

( I get $11, use Hydrocal 105 labstone and no vacuum mixer--- just hand spatulate 45 sec. or so and vibrate into the UNBOXED impression.)

Great photos and awesome work--- just couldn't put in the time for the cost the market bears around here...

Last edited:
N

nickate

Reaction score
I also use Ivoclar, nearly exclusively [I am NOT affiliated with ANY company]. Shipping is now $8.00 for overnight, usually before 10:30 am arrival. I like the "PE" (Pearl effect) teeth the best - they are a 4 layer tooth and more European (read "realistic") style tooth. The Blue Line is their newer line and these are a 3-layer tooth system created for the "American" veneer-or-bleach-my-teeth market. The Blue Line Plus system simply includes several moulds taken from the Dentsply system. I have a fairly good stock of broken sets on hand for repairs and some partials. I order the sets as I need them (usually 2 times per week) making it easier to get the exact color and size I want. This way I am not tempted to find a "good fit" or something that is "close enough" or settling for an apathetic compromize.
Portrait teeth are, in my honest opinion, very ugly. The incisal edge of the central incisors have the most fake, "Lego-toy", mechanical looking mammelons. Finally, many dental schools are jumping ship from supplying Dentsply teeth for their technique labs and making the switch to Ivoclar or some other source. Dentists usually stick with materials they use in dental school unless they open their eyes and look for better choices. The Vita (ie Physiodens) teeth are also very nice. Unless the person is smiling or laughing, the mandibular anterior teeth are the teeth that show the most. Look at these teeth when comparing moulds for realism.
In this day of cosmetic, quality dentistry, shouldn't teeth, INCLUDING DENTURES, look like teeth?

Would you be so kind as to let us know where you got this information?
In the past that's how is was but how many accredited schools are even still out there???
Any dentist I have asked that has been "PRACTICING" less than about 15 years says they never even did the labwork involved to carry a denture case through to completion...

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Nick, I know of two Dental schools that make the students do all their lab work......Medical University of South Carolina Dental School and University of Missouri Kansas City Dental School..........I use to do lab work with the dental students during the boards. That's two of them, not sure if anymore exist.

Top Bottom