A Interesting Read

LabRat23

LabRat23

Reaction score
So all in all there is no one trick pony to this game of 3d printed models and separator. So I ended up finding someone online who has a ortho dept and using a off brand separator for digital models and I watched him pop these retainers with acrylic off the digital like they were nothing it was kind of mind boggling to me since I cannot find any consistent cure all for this. So I went and looked up the brand and it specifically says no use on 3d models and even goes as far as saying if you are a dental lab and thats why you call us we will not sell you it due to patent 9,717,568. So I'm like what the heck and look into a bit and find this https://www.brynmawrortholab.com/patent-9717568/ which goes into detail a company made a patent for the idea of applying separator to a digital model? Does anyone know about this? Its a interesting read so get your tin hat out for this lol

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Looks like a garden-variety patent trolling case. Happens often enough. The remedy seems to be doing the wink-nod "you CAN'T use this for 3D printed parts, it WILL WORK but PLEASE DONT USE IT FOR THAT" sales thing, where you clearly indicate it will work for that purpose, please don't tell us you're using it for that and we're all good. Fighting it seems like a waste of time for anyone whose livelihood doesn't depend on selling separating agent for 3D printed models specifically.

LabRat23

LabRat23

Reaction score
Looks like a garden-variety patent trolling case. Happens often enough. The remedy seems to be doing the wink-nod "you CAN'T use this for 3D printed parts, it WILL WORK but PLEASE DONT USE IT FOR THAT" sales thing, where you clearly indicate it will work for that purpose, please don't tell us you're using it for that and we're all good. Fighting it seems like a waste of time for anyone whose livelihood doesn't depend on selling separating agent for 3D printed models specifically.
yeah just was a super weird read its unfortunate that people and things like that are somewhat limiting the digital side of dentistry. I know a couple people who would've made the switch to digital if they had actual separator that worked. It would open the door alot more to incorp. the digital side more.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Here's the patent is someone has time to read it...Deal

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone will remember what it was, but back maybe around 25-30 years ago, some tech said that he panteded the refractory die, or platinum foil technique for making venners (?) and if we did them that way we were violating a patent he had and that we needed to reimburse him everytime we used that technique. I'm not sure of what became of that, but no one heeded it.

Last edited:
L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone will remember what it was, but back maybe around 25-30 years ago, some tech said that he panteded the refractory die, or platinum foil technique for making venners (?) and if we did them that way we were violating a patent he had and that we needed to reimburse him everytime we used that technique. I'm not sure of what became of that, but no one heeded it.
I remember that, i think it was Lumineers… using Cerinate porcelain. As if it was the only porcelain you could make a veneer out of, lol!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
yeah just was a super weird read its unfortunate that people and things like that are somewhat limiting the digital side of dentistry. I know a couple people who would've made the switch to digital if they had actual separator that worked. It would open the door alot more to incorp. the digital side more.
Have you tried mineral oil?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
So all in all there is no one trick pony to this game of 3d printed models and separator. So I ended up finding someone online who has a ortho dept and using a off brand separator for digital models and I watched him pop these retainers with acrylic off the digital like they were nothing it was kind of mind boggling to me since I cannot find any consistent cure all for this. So I went and looked up the brand and it specifically says no use on 3d models and even goes as far as saying if you are a dental lab and thats why you call us we will not sell you it due to patent 9,717,568. So I'm like what the heck and look into a bit and find this https://www.brynmawrortholab.com/patent-9717568/ which goes into detail a company made a patent for the idea of applying separator to a digital model? Does anyone know about this? Its a interesting read so get your tin hat out for this lol
What was the brand you found from someone online called? I ask because i might not want to use it on 3d printed models as well ;)

Last edited: