Digital Model Charge Per Arch

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Its simple.... The smaller the nozzle, the increase in detail. Given a defined object to print, let's say a pencil. The software calculates say 500 build layers with a 0.4 nozzle to complete.

When you switch to a 0.2 nozzle and change in the printer setting, it will calculate 1000 layers to build the same size pencil. Therefore it will take twice as long to print. However the benefit is the details will be smoother because those layer lines will be cut in half.

You will just have to determine if it's beneficial or not for the extra print time.

Whether you want VHS quality or DVD quality. At that point you're going to find the ceiling for FDM printing. You'll have to have a resin printer if you want that HD/4k look.

As far as printing crowns, the nozzle will add no further capability. And to my knowledge there is no thermoplastic that could be used to make crowns. It is possible you could do something like a "snap on smile" if they made an appropriate filament. However most thermoplastics that can go through that hot end and also have sufficient pressure to extrude, probably would be unbondable with cement.
That makes sense. I don’t see the advantage unless they are intending to use it for c&b models .

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
That makes sense. I don’t see the advantage unless they are intending to use it for c&b models .
I'm speculating they've heard some "feedback" and are trying to be more comparative.

It will improve the detail however.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm speculating they've heard some "feedback" and are trying to be more comparative.

It will improve the detail however.
I’m not sure. This printer was designed for ortho practices and labs . Study models, aligners, and basic retainers are the filament options available. The build time is quite slow compared to resin printers so extending that time with a smaller nozzle doesn’t make sense if 50 microns is sufficient accuracy.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
fwiw, FDM-printed parts are regarded as not-body-safe across the board, not because of the material itself but because the parts are so porous at the microscopic level, they're like sponges and are great for bacteria to grow in. If you treated it with some topcoat or sealant, or filled it with resin in a vacuum chamber or something, I can see it being viable, but I've never heard of anybody doing that for anything more demanding than jewellery / skin-contact applications.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I’m wondering if the.2 nozzle is intended for splints? Maybe Renfert is working on a biocompatible filament?
Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I’m wondering if the.2 nozzle is intended for splints? Maybe Renfert is working on a biocompatible filament?
The nozzle is just intended for smaller layer lines, therefore smoother detail...that's it.

As far as bio-compatible material, the only one your machine could run technically is nylon, and that's gonna be a huge pain to print. You should be able
to use the Valplast stuff now, for whats its worth. Possibly an acetal filament.

Unfortunately I just don't see it.being possible to make appliances, at least productively, with an FDM printer.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The nozzle is just intended for smaller layer lines, therefore smoother detail...that's it.

As far as bio-compatible material, the only one your machine could run technically is nylon, and that's gonna be a huge pain to print. You should be able
to use the Valplast stuff now, for whats its worth. Possibly an acetal filament.

Unfortunately I just don't see it.being possible to make appliances, at least productively, with an FDM printer.
They told me trays are on the horizon but I’m not that interested. I really don’t need anything more than a model printer and 50 microns is just fine.

T

Tranquil

Reaction score
Was pleasantly surprised by ease of use, price, speed and accuracy of Bambu Lab X1 printer. Just saying it...

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
nice pics...
its a good, tight printer for FDM. If its working, I wouldn't mess with the smaller nozzle. Might mess up the hot end calibration.
The .2 will also be easier to clog.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
nice pics...
its a good, tight printer for FDM. If its working, I wouldn't mess with the smaller nozzle. Might mess up the hot end calibration.
The .2 will also be easier to clog.
I can see that happening. I’ve clogged a .4 nozzle already. I cleaned it out with a fissure bur and it still works. It’s amazing how creative you get when cases are due.

Chiolo C

Chiolo C

Reaction score
it's almost then end of 2023 now, curious your Dr didn't ask for free printing models?
Here we have only 30% Dr [ay for printing models, normaly $4 for quarter models and $8 for full arch (upper & lower)
most for free, the think the costs we save from plaster should cover the printing models`````, although its not true

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
it's almost then end of 2023 now, curious your Dr didn't ask for free printing models?
Here we have only 30% Dr [ay for printing models, normaly $4 for quarter models and $8 for full arch (upper & lower)
most for free, the think the costs we save from plaster should cover the printing models`````, although its not true
Oh I'm sure they ask, no matter which country they live.
But what kind of moron would invest in equipment, supplies, and labor to do work for free???
Pouring an impression takes $0.25 worth of material, a bowl of water, and 2 minutes.
There is no comparison. Only thing free in life is a napkin and ketchup packet out the drive thru window.

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Oh I'm sure they ask, no matter which country they live.
But what kind of moron would invest in equipment, supplies, and labor to do work for free???
Pouring an impression takes $0.25 worth of material, a bowl of water, and 2 minutes.
There is no comparison. Only thing free in life is a napkin and ketchup packet out the drive thru window.
You have to include the cost of picking up that impression as well.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
That works out to $15/ day
I charge 17.50 per quad. This not only covers my subscription fee but also my delivery fees.
Your too high.
Must work cheaper if you want more business.