3Shape or Exo

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
More like 450.00 saved. It gives you the ability to basically do a digital try-in and verify. I started down this path many years ago with ClearMatch, this is far more concise. As we should all know, we can make 4 mistakes in color before only 1 in value. This methodology enables us to accurately measure L = Luminessence of an object, B = amount of Red in same, B = amount of Yellow. Since dental shades register in the yellow- red color space it's a matter of adjusting those values by those adding pigments to match the desired LAB values.

You can photograph your actual porcelain shade fired samples ie A1-D4 or 0M1-5M1 and read your bottles actual LAB #'s. Shade guides vary significantly by each guide, our powders also by the bottle. As Dr. Jack Preston once noted, " There's more color control in Kraft Cheese than color control in dentistry."

This methodology takes human perspective out and gives you a reproducible target #. Hope this helps, it has helped me understand a lot more of what I thought I already knew[emoji6]

https://www.emulation.me/products/white_balance-gray-reference-card-for-dental-photography

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Been using eLAB for almost a year. We barely do 2nd follow up appointments for final shading. Just a 10 min photo appointment. Remakes have dropped dramatically...wait, isn;t this a 3shape vs Exo thread??

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
I like 3shape, I feel ripped off that I'm still using 2014 for majority of work with 2016 for diagnostic wax-ups. I wish I could just freeze it at this point

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Been using eLAB for almost a year. We barely do 2nd follow up appointments for final shading. Just a 10 min photo appointment. Remakes have dropped dramatically...wait, isn;t this a 3shape vs Exo thread??
Good stuff!

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Gary Grosclaude

Gary Grosclaude

Reaction score
I have a 3shape D800 scanner and have been running the same scanner and various versions of 3shape for 5 years. I currently run the latest version on 2016. I always wait until CAP suggests moving to Thebes latest build. I have my Tech support through CAP which means that now it’s through Henry Schein. They have worked hard through the transition to keep the quality up to the original CAP standards and after the initial challenges they are doing well. They have top notch people supporting the team and are very responsive. It’s true with 3shape you will be better served if you understand that each year you will pay 3 to 4 k for software and maybe 3k for support but the software is the robust and the developers are committed to the market. I love 3shape and I use it for everything from implants to large hybrid zirconia cases. If your computer is up to specs and you have good support it’s the way to go. No matter what you are always going to have multiple camps when it comes to issues like this. A lot of people use 3shape and love it. I use it every day and find it to reliable and user friendly

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
developers are committed to the market
thats the only phrase i have to disagree on.

i have every doubt 3shape has any sort of vision for the future of labwork. primarily because they are also not invested in any manufacturing hardware. 3shape has always been a half-solution. they'll sell you a scanner and software, but how you get your product made is entirely on you. that tells me a lot.

L

labtek

Reaction score

Can you tell us more about eLab for shading

Gary Grosclaude

Gary Grosclaude

Reaction score

i have every doubt 3shape has any sort of vision for the future of labwork. primarily because they are also not invested in any manufacturing hardware. 3shape has always been a half-solution. they'll sell you a scanner and software, but how you get your product made is entirely on you. that tells me a lot.

I understand what you’re saying. The end users are expected to find 3rd party support after the initial purchase. This contact is initiated by the purchase. The seller then assumes the role of support. There is no standard of support linked from buyer to manufacturer. They are taking a risk leaving it to the end user to solve this problem. I actually had to switch my support because it was poor to start and that can be a problem

user name

user name

Reaction score
If its all you know, then 3Shape seems pretty awesome. :cool: When I switched to Exo, life just got better. Even at that, good support is still everything. I don't need them often but the other night I did. In the middle of the night. I sent an email and got help within 2 minutes. This was after most of you were in bed.

JENSEN. Period.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Have not had Exocad for too long yet. One thing I do know is if you want a removable die model you can not do it with Exocad. I have talked to Ron Snyder from InTech who prints all the 3M models and told me it could not be done many have tried but none have succeeded. I told him we could get it to work. But, he was right no matter what settings we tried could not get a consistent result. Only option is solid model with a separate die. Otherwise I like what I see with Exocad. Still using 3Shape for bulk of the work load though.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Have not had Exocad for too long yet. One thing I do know is if you want a removable die model you can not do it with Exocad. I have talked to Ron Snyder from InTech who prints all the 3M models and told me it could not be done many have tried but none have succeeded. I told him we could get it to work. But, he was right no matter what settings we tried could not get a consistent result. Only option is solid model with a separate die. Otherwise I like what I see with Exocad. Still using 3Shape for bulk of the work load though.
http://wiki.exocad.com/wiki/index.php?title=Model_Design

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
It can be done. Whip mix has a system that does it. I've held the models in my hands.

L

labtek

Reaction score

exactly how long have you had exocad? What is your rational for having both 3shape and exocad? do you expect to eventually use exocad more than 3shape or what?

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
It can be done. Whip mix has a system that does it. I've held the models in my hands.
Interesting. What is the system for Whip mix? Do you source it to them? I am looking to manufacture in house. I have made models where the die fits great for a particular setting then I print the next model from the same setting now the die flops around in the base. I have done this multiple times with the same results. I have use different printers to rule out the printer. That is why I say it is not consistent.

Last edited:
rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
exactly how long have you had exocad? What is your rational for having both 3shape and exocad? do you expect to eventually use exocad more than 3shape or what?[/QUOTE

We have had exocad for less than a year. But we have been real busy just getting the work done to play with it more than I would like to. The splint module interested me initially because we do a lot of them and the 3shape splint module sucks. Not sure how far I will take exocad in the lab because I do have a lot invested in 3shape. We originally started with Cercon in 2000. We moved onto Waxpro and Dental Wings about 10-12 years ago. After that we moved to 3shape with an EnvisionTEC printer then moved away from the printer to start milling. We also used Cerec for awhile and now are getting back into printing. So exocad is just part of the evolution of our laboratory.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Interesting. What is the system for Whip mix? Do you source it to them? I am looking to manufacture in house. I have made models where the die fits great for a particular setting then I print the next model from the same setting now the die flops around in the base. I have done this multiple times with the same results. I have use different printers to rule out the printer. That is why I say it is not consistent.
PM @Matt Drury for details. It is the Asiga Max printer that they sell.

Matt Drury

Matt Drury

Reaction score

Hello!
I work with Whip Mix, and JMN is correct, we do offer model printing service on the Asiga and ProJet3500. I recommend having any models printed on the Asiga printer. But if you are in the market for a fast, accurate, reliable, consistent printer, you can't go wrong with the Asiga Max. If anyone has questions about Whip Mix's print services, or the Asiga printers, feel free to PM me.

Cory@WhipMix

Cory@WhipMix

Reaction score

JMN it took about 20 hours of printing and designing to make this happen but you are correct, we have model settings for Exocad that works great!

Hassine

Hassine

Reaction score
3shape and Exocad. Both of them have their advantages and inconvenients.
3shape for classic works and exocad for implants.